Pet burial/grieving

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Kai /|\
OBOD Bard

Pet burial/grieving

Postby Kai /|\ » 14 Apr 2016, 10:44

I thought writing here could both help me grieve and give me some advice on how to deal with this.

I'm on the train on my way home from a show and my dad called me and told me that one of our cats, Cole has passed after being hit by a car.

We've had an outdoor cat here for over 10 years, and there isn't much traffic so I had lost the fear of such an accident long ago... Now Cole was less than a year old and it grieves me greatly that he must leave so soon. What saddens me more is that about a month after we got him, we also adopted a little orphan kitten that turned up at our house. He became very attached to Cole and he found safety with him, especially since he was most likely parted from his mother too early They became wonderful friends, never apart. Now for the first time he will be alone. I was told he already misses Cole terribly, I do too.

So do you have any advice on how to grieve an animal companion and how to deal with it? Or for the burial?

I haven't experienced the death of a pet since my early childhood, and going home feels disheartening.

Here's a couple pictures:

https://instagram.com/p/_R-Ow0Nr3p/

https://instagram.com/p/-PjlkuNr96/

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Re: Pet burial/grieving

Postby winterfire » 14 Apr 2016, 13:00

Hello Kai, so sorry to hear of your loss. You might want to go to the 'Spirit of the Journey' section and look at the threads - 'In Memoriam' & 'Rainbow Bridge'.
Thoughts & blessings with you and your family and your little kitten as you grieve.
Linda x

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 14 Apr 2016, 14:29

[quote="Kai /|\"]I thought writing here could both help me grieve and give me some advice on how to deal with this.

I'm on the train on my way home from a show and my dad called me and told me that one of our cats, Cole has passed after being hit by a car.

We've had an outdoor cat here for over 10 years, and there isn't much traffic so I had lost the fear of such an accident long ago... Now Cole was less than a year old and it grieves me greatly that he must leave so soon. What saddens me more is that about a month after we got him, we also adopted a little orphan kitten that turned up at our house. He became very attached to Cole and he found safety with him, especially since he was most likely parted from his mother too early They became wonderful friends, never apart. Now for the first time he will be alone. I was told he already misses Cole terribly, I do too.

So do you have any advice on how to grieve an animal companion and how to deal with it? Or for the burial?

I haven't experienced the death of a pet since my early childhood, and going home feels disheartening.

Here's a couple pictures:

https://instagram.com/p/_R-Ow0Nr3p/

https://instagram.com/p/-PjlkuNr96/[/quote]

So sorry to hear your sad news :candle:

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 15 Apr 2016, 05:54

So sorry for your loss :candle:

There is no wrong way to do this really, as long as you follow your heart. Allow yourself to truly be in the moment, feel the pain. Talk to your family (including your other kitten) about what Cole has meant for you in his short life. Talk to Cole, internal or out loud, thank him and ask if he likes to meet you in your inner grove. Don't force it, just let it flow.

As for burial, that is deeply personal too. If Cole had a favorite outside place in the garden, that might be fitting. Don't wrap him in anything, so that he can become one with the earth truly. Feel free to give some burialgifts like flowers, kibble, or a favorite toy.

Again, so sorry :(
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Kai /|\
OBOD Bard

Postby Kai /|\ » 15 Apr 2016, 12:46

Thank you all. :chkrose: :candle:

We buried him yesterday on our yard between the trees and bushes where he loved to lie and watch the birds.
I was reluctant to seeing his dead body at first, but I'm glad I did. I laid some flower petals on him, and there he lied, looking quite peaceful.
We were thinking of perhaps planting some flowers on his grave.

After the burial I framed a photo of him, placed it on my altar along with some stones, petals one of his mouse toys and a small bowl of cat food. There I lit a candle and spoke with him for a while. It was very emotional, but also soothing. I asked for him to visit me yet in my Grove or dreams.

Our young cat, Laku got to see the body as well and doesn't seem to be searching for him anymore. It's sad to see him by himself now, but I'm sure he'll be alright after some time. He hasn't been asking for food as usual, but he is eating so that's good.

Kai /|\
OBOD Bard

Postby Kai /|\ » 15 Apr 2016, 12:56

Also, is it possible this thread be moved into the In Memoriam section?

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 15 Apr 2016, 17:04

It sounds like you've given Cole a very toughtful and loving farewell.

A big hug for you and a cuddle for Laku...
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”