Dream Reality

Herein are contained classic stories and other timeless threads penned by patrons of the Druid's Head Pub. To suggest additions, please contact the Moderator.
Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Dream Reality

Postby Twyrch » 15 Oct 2006, 02:35

In 1996, I did a philosophy paper on dream reality. Many people knew this professor rarely gave A's in his class, believing that to gain an A, one must fully comprehend and defend the philosophy they come up with. I did receive an A in this class, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on dream realily.

My thesis was that there are three distinct realms. Physical, Metaphysical, and Dream. I theorized that although our bodies need sleep, our spirit does not. During this time, our spirit has the ability to reach a higher level of awareness where the physical realm and metaphysical realm meet, in the dream realm.

In this dream realm, our consciousness can see the future resulting in premonitions, deja vu or prophetic visions. This is also a place where we can interact with spirits who have crossed over from the physical realm.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone else have theories about dream reality?

I placed a copy of my thesis on my Eisteddfod homepage.

http://faerierealm.50megs.com/Eisteddfod.html
Last edited by Twyrch on 26 Jun 2007, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Mey

Postby Mey » 15 Oct 2006, 08:57

I like your theory! Would you mind posting your whole paper here or could you email it? I would love to read it!
:curtsey: Peace, Love and Icecream
~ Mey ~ Kinky Tinky Winky ~

Random poster award 2007The Holy Helm of Randomness: :helm:
Great High Queen of Ramdom...ness and Cantelope squasher!

Ailim
OBOD Druid

Postby Ailim » 15 Oct 2006, 09:29

What an interesting concept.  Whilst I don't have any real input on this, I do know that the aboriginies of Australia believe that we live in a dream world, and that when we sleep and dream THAT is the real world :)

As Mey said, your theory sounds interesting, and at first glance I can see the merits of that way of thinking.  Gives me something to ponder :)
Ailim
As we progress on our journey we are changed by it

http://www.pagan-transitions.org.uk (Pagan funeral resource site)
Member of OBOD, The Druid Network and the Pagan Federation

Rocas Faol 777

Postby Rocas Faol 777 » 15 Oct 2006, 13:10

Greetings

When you refer to the metaphysical world, what exactly do you mean?  Could you describe it for me please?  I have me own ideas as to what the metaphysical realm would contain, if we were to attempt to analyze and compartmentalize it.  Nevertheless, I want to know what your thoughts and ideas are so that I may fully respond to the idea.  Thank you.

Good Hunting
Circle of the Four Dragons

Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain..." - It's time to toss the dice...

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 15 Oct 2006, 15:16

I like your theory! Would you mind posting your whole paper here or could you email it? I would love to read it!
Mey, Sure thing....

http://faerierealm.50megs.com/The%20Dream%20Reality.pdf

ImageImageImage

Mey

Postby Mey » 16 Oct 2006, 06:37

Thank you!
:curtsey: Peace, Love and Icecream
~ Mey ~ Kinky Tinky Winky ~

Random poster award 2007The Holy Helm of Randomness: :helm:
Great High Queen of Ramdom...ness and Cantelope squasher!

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 16 Oct 2006, 12:43

Greetings

When you refer to the metaphysical world, what exactly do you mean?  Could you describe it for me please?  I have me own ideas as to what the metaphysical realm would contain, if we were to attempt to analyze and compartmentalize it.  Nevertheless, I want to know what your thoughts and ideas are so that I may fully respond to the idea.  Thank you.

Good Hunting
Rocas, I apologize for missing your post earlier. In my philosophy paper, I loosely used the term "metaphysical realm" and "spirit realm" interchangably.

Over the last 10 years, I have gain more understanding regarding this concept, but for the most part, I see the Physical World and the Spirit World separated by a veil that cannot be breached without the ability to send your mind/soul/inner being into the Dream World. I see the Dream World as a bridge, as it were, between the physical and the metaphysical...

ImageImageImage

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » 21 Oct 2006, 05:31

It is quite relieving to find others of similar Mind.

Twyrch, I've contemplated this very idea for quite some time. In fact, I believe i may have started a thread on these forums concernign the Dream Realm. I am pressed for time, so I will have to read your paper and discuss this later, but I'm very excited to see you post this!

I'll be posting very soon.

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 21 Oct 2006, 11:22

It is quite relieving to find others of similar Mind.

Twyrch, I've contemplated this very idea for quite some time. In fact, I believe i may have started a thread on these forums concernign the Dream Realm. I am pressed for time, so I will have to read your paper and discuss this later, but I'm very excited to see you post this!

I'll be posting very soon.
Excellent, Iconoclast! I look forward to hearing your comments. :)

ImageImageImage

LadyCelt

Postby LadyCelt » 21 Oct 2006, 13:08

Twyrch,

I get an error screen when I try to access your pdf.   :yield:
"I wasn't born to live someone else's idea of my life." ~ Carolan Ivey
Ord Brighideach: Image Image Image

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 21 Oct 2006, 16:28

Twyrch,

I get an error screen when I try to access your pdf.   :yield:
You have to right-click on the file and choose [Save Target As] or you can go to this page and download it since I used it for the Eisteddfod Prose Competition.

http://faerierealm.50megs.com/Eisteddfod.html
Last edited by Twyrch on 20 Feb 2007, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImageImage

Megalith Beast
Location: Middlesbrough, England (I will be escaping from this grey, bland, industrial nightmare ASAP!)

Postby Megalith Beast » 23 Oct 2006, 20:53

This is a very interesting theory, and in my head it seems to make a good amount of sense! I shall ponder this.

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Postby Tynan Elder Oak » 07 Feb 2007, 15:42

I feel, personally it is more than a theory.  My father was a druid and he taught me that there were three kinds of dream.  

The dream of the day - that which has influenced or effected us from the day's activities.

The dream of the heart - those dreams of that which we would desire or fantasie about,  perhaps also those whihc teach us to hear what our own phsyche is teaching us.

The dream o the awakening - that which leads us directly in to the Spirit, otehr planes of existence other realities.

In regard to the dreams of awakening I have had many strange experiences, some not so good which have definately been real and had a manifest effect in my life... and too, I have also spoken with other people who have had similar expereinces.  

So for me this is a reality although I am quite sure that tohers could come up with some very convincing psychobabble to try and say it is all in the mind.  However, to that I would ask, just how big is the mind?  Inside the mind we are not limited to our poor physical existence, or confined to four walls, we are part ofthe great spririt or collective or whatever ones definition of that is.  So...I am going to read your presentation (When I am not at work.)  :whistle:   TTFN

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 07 Feb 2007, 16:04

The Link was broken but I got it fixed.

ImageImageImage

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Postby Tynan Elder Oak » 07 Feb 2007, 16:30

Brilliant, I will look at it later... In the light

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 26 Jun 2007, 19:22

As I've been going through my gwersi, my dreams have begun to change. Now, when I do remember my dreams, it seems as if I am continuing a different life in my dreams. This led me to wonder about whether the dream realm was really a window to an alternate reality... it may not even be Earth, but another planet or plane of existance.

If you think about it, our physical body needs to rest, but our spirit doesn't. In those moments when we are most relaxed, perhaps we are seeing an alternate life we're living somewhere else. Kind of like the spirit being a tether between the two existances...

ImageImageImage

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 28 Jun 2007, 09:55

In a lot of my dreams, I travel to different realities, and go back to them wherever needed. I often perform druid ceremonies in them, or fight against injustices. Those dreams are as real as the "normal" world.

And I believe that it is - it is a different reality, however it is defined, and I am sent there to help out - as a fighter or a priest. Some dream worlds come back several times, some only once, but as soon as I have fulfilled my mission, they are gone.

Seems to me this world is really an in-between resting place  :wink:

Does this make sense?

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 28 Jun 2007, 12:42

In a lot of my dreams, I travel to different realities, and go back to them wherever needed. I often perform druid ceremonies in them, or fight against injustices. Those dreams are as real as the "normal" world.

And I believe that it is - it is a different reality, however it is defined, and I am sent there to help out - as a fighter or a priest. Some dream worlds come back several times, some only once, but as soon as I have fulfilled my mission, they are gone.

Seems to me this world is really an in-between resting place  :wink:

Does this make sense?
That actually makes a great deal of sense... Excellent theory! :)

ImageImageImage

Ghostrider
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghostrider » 28 Jun 2007, 12:44

Makes perfect sense actually...

I have similar experiences, especially when I was younger. But more of the 'fighting' kind than otherwise.

Since I became interested in Druidry, many of my old Dreams returned, possibly because I have some unfinished business.
I also get the occasional new 'dream', but different than those I had before.

Curious where this will lead!
"I don't suffer from INSANITY!! I enjoy every minute of it!"

R0wdy Atomic WEDGIE-master

2007 SBImage
Finder of lost Message board Souls of the Most Holy (or not) Order of Slightly Reformed Non-Visigoth Circus Performers

paganbaby

Postby paganbaby » 07 Jul 2007, 16:33

I loved reading your thesis! It made complete sense and is more or less how i see it my self! Thanks for sharing it!  :grin:
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “The Attic”