Tattoos....social markings

Herein are contained classic stories and other timeless threads penned by patrons of the Druid's Head Pub. To suggest additions, please contact the Moderator.
Aurora
OBOD Bard

Postby Aurora » 06 Dec 2006, 05:38

I only have one at the moment, which i got just before i turned 21. It's at the center base of my spine and is a red rose in bloom with ivy leaves trailing out and up on both sides from the rose.
Rose=beauty
Ivy=strength/tenacity (what it represents to me)

Would like to get a dragon at some point, but as i don't draw well i have to wait till i find one i like.
ImageImage

Wisdom begins in wonder-Socrates

Maester Fwibos

Postby Maester Fwibos » 13 Dec 2006, 03:39

Ah, Hell.

Why do people with tatoos want to discuss them.  

It took me seven years to determine what I wanted. I agree with Moonpanther (in tatoo ethic if not tatoo aesthetic). No tatoo should be whimsy. It should be a highly personal expresion.  I am saving up for the first of three.

The first is a diptych: On one side is Freya (based on the Arthur Rakham print, but with additions of spear on shoulder, shield resting against tree,  and boar -and minus the cat). Connecting to it will be a similiar designed Freyr tatoo. This tatoo will contain many symbols within, totemic, spiritual, and religious.

The second will be a balck and white shaded outline of the Temple of Castor and Pollux. Everyone has a zodiacal tatoo, I figure I should too. I don't have to make it easy for others to discover WHAT sign I am. Of course, any educated person will know. Mmmm.... education.

The other set will be two ravens, one on each shoulder. Given the the rest of my post, this one should be obvious.

Fwibos
Aide-toi, le ciel t'aidera
-Help yourself and the sky (heaven) will help you.

Not an Argonaut.
Did not steal The Fleece.
Did, strangely enough, date Medea.

silverhawke
OBOD Bard

Tattoos

Postby silverhawke » 15 Dec 2006, 08:38

On my left upper arm I have a piece that completely encircles the arm...celtic knotwork made to look as if it were made out of stone...(my irish heritage) a seven pointed star (from my three years in a 'Faery' trad coven) and a phoenix (my totem) pulling the seven pointed star from the stone knotwork...I'm a big fan of the Arthurian legends and 'creating' your own path...
peace
silverhawke
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
Goethe

"One sees rightly only with the heart, what is essential is invisible to the eye"
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ImageImage Image
Circle of the Four Dragons

Rocas Faol 777

Postby Rocas Faol 777 » 11 Jan 2007, 01:22

Greetings

Hey Rocas,

Loved reading about your modifications! makes me all the more anxious to get more of my planned ones done!

A few of my friends and I have a theory about peircings that I thought I might float here seeing you have so many and mentioned the ritual and representational aspects of the piercing, bear with me while I try to explain it in a way that makes sense.

* The body runs on electricity
* Most peircings mean that the wearer has a piece of metal placed in their body
* Metal is conductive
Therefore, it seems to make sense to us that the metal of peircings can change how electricity runs through your body.

Some examples of how this works:

My husband used to have many peircings, after a while he went to a naturopath about some (psychic) energy related issues and she suggested that he try taking out his peircings as they were in areas that in accupuncture would change the energy flow through his body (so imagine that he had been having major accupuncture constantly for years!!!). He decided to give it a try and took them all out. He says that the change was phenomenal and could be felt as he was taking them out. He no longer has any peircings although he is considering getting some soon, but planning it more with the flows of energy through his body in mind.

When I met my husband I had a number of peircings and he suggested that I try taking them out (just for a couple of days) to see if I experienced something similar. I was sceptical but tried it.
I was AMAZED at the result.
* My belly button was not much but I did feel a slight lightening as if a small weight had been lifted. I felt no desire to replace that peircing.
* My lip had grown over due to lack of a work appropriate ring, just previous and I had not noticed any change at that time. I have since had my husband re-peirce my lip - it was the only peircing I ever 'really' wanted and feels very right now.
* My ears had two rings in each and I noticed no real change when they were taken out, however when I tried putting them back in a couple of days later I found that I experienced a similar depressive state that I had when I was 15 (the age that I got those peircings) so I took them out again, I only wear earings occasionally now although I intend to work on improving them so I can wear them all the time (I miss my earings!)
* The truley amazing one though was my tounge. I had had it peirced at the request of my ex who had not wanted me to get my lip done and said I should get my tounge done instead. I never really felt any personal meaning in it. When we took it out we both felt a physical release of 'nasty, smelly, dark and generally icky' energy - it made me quite dizzy!.
we soaked the ring in salt water and threw it away. I have not worn one there since and have no intention to get it re-peirced. Interestingly enough I have found that I now have much less trouble speaking my mind/verbally standing up for my self, which was quite an issue before.

Anyhow I just thought that this was interesting and felt like sharing it with you all (sorry it was so long!!) and finding out if anyone else had had similar ideas/experiences...
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but I do have to say there could be something to this.  I have not noticed anything major after removing or replacing any of my piercings, but this could be largely due to the fact that I have excellent conducive properties.  Everyone acts somewhat as a resistor to electrical current, some more than others; I have an exceptionally low resistance rate (you can test this-at its simplest-by taking the leads of an ohms meter or multi-meter and holding on in each hand between your fingertips :wink: ).

However, one of my former Tai Chi instructors (the best so far) cautioned me on energy flow and body modification.  He told me that it did not seem to affect me much; however, body modification (specifically tattoos and piercings) should be done with care and knowledge of the body's energy flow.  He told me that doing modifications in areas where the body’s energy flows strongest (i.e. the chakras and major flow lines) could slow and reduce the normal flow and act as a hindrance at best--and a blockage at worst.

So, like I said, though I have not experienced this, there are extenuating circumstances, and there could be something to it.

Good Hunting
Circle of the Four Dragons

Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain..." - It's time to toss the dice...

baby tree

Postby baby tree » 24 Jan 2007, 19:39

My tattoo is the same as my tree symbol however, i decided at the last minute to have different coloured leaves.
I always think of Oak trees as old, experienced, wise and full of history and strength and i see myself as a little tree with much to learn and a lot to experience and still starting out in life (and because i believe in continual self development, i think i will always feel young and inexperienced in many aspects of life. hence, the sapling (baby tree)

Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate
Location: Avalon...upon my Dragon, journeying to Anglesey and the Isle of Merlyn

Postby Lady Nimue » 25 Jan 2007, 04:40

Hi baby tree, welcome to this forum and the Board. I think your Avatar would be a kool tatoo.
Lady Nimue-
Guardian of "MERLYN'S GROVE AT AVALON GLYN"...... a Certified OBOD Sacred Grove and Certified National Wildlife Refuge.
"I Walk with the Animals"

ImageImageImageImagegive vegitarianism a try!

baby tree

Postby baby tree » 25 Jan 2007, 11:48

Hello Lady Nimue

I have to admit, i had to look up the meaning of avatar!! that's something new i have learnt today.  :)
I think i will take a photo of the tattoo and try and post it on here.

You know what i like about this message board? everyone is so welcoming and genuinely friendly and i feel free to express my opinions no matter how simple or complex or controversial they may be. It is very liberating and a shame that everyone in life isnt so understanding.

Bel

Postby Bel » 25 Jan 2007, 13:59

My tattoo symbolises my awakening to druidry / divorce / homeopathy / 40th birthday.  I cannot seperate any of those things but have had a big life change in last year which connects them all.  My wake up call involved being drawn to a sacred burial tomb near here, on a beautiful Beltane afternoon, meeting my totem animal (buzzard) and being supported by the sun and the whole death / rebirth experience of where I was.  I recognised the power of the sun as my healer and identified this as Belenos, and the death / rebirth thing was Cerridwen who told me to wake up and smell the coffee.  

My tattoo is buzzard flying in front of the sun and was designed by a friend of mine.  It sits at the top of my back and was done at the Autumn equinox tho that was just coincedence realy.
formerly known as Mamma

Wraithian
OBOD Ovate

Postby Wraithian » 25 Jan 2007, 14:15

I wear my two Awen tats on my wrists.  Symbolizes my faith, my willingness to "wear it on my sleeve," as it were, and have made excellent conversation starters.  <chuckles>

No piercings or brandings.  I wear my scars, and those are a testimony to the life I have lived, and the person I am.  I wear them with immense pride.  :)
:wraithian: Image :wraithian:

Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate
Location: Avalon...upon my Dragon, journeying to Anglesey and the Isle of Merlyn

Postby Lady Nimue » 25 Jan 2007, 16:40

I quite like scars, Wraith. I have some as well....internal and external, and I wear them as testimony of my life too.
Lady Nimue-
Guardian of "MERLYN'S GROVE AT AVALON GLYN"...... a Certified OBOD Sacred Grove and Certified National Wildlife Refuge.

Silverleaf_Willow
OBOD Ovate

Postby Silverleaf_Willow » 26 Jan 2007, 10:03

Tattoos eh?
I knew I was in the right place when I found this topic!
I have four tattoos, all, designed by myself.
The first is a "helm of awe" protective warding.
The second is a personal harmony bindrune.
The other two tattoos are my name in runes, and my children's names in runes.
It's easy to guess where my studies have taken me.
I have two on the top of each arm, where they are easily hidden by clothing.

-willow-

Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lady Nimue » 26 Jan 2007, 14:20

Welcome, Silverleaf......thanks for sharing.
Lady Nimue-

ita

Postby ita » 30 Jan 2007, 16:53

Hails  my lady and all.. :trefoil:

I have 6 tattoo´s now and 6 piercings if you count the ears too...

Every single one of them is a symbol of great change and magic in my life...

I had my ears pierced when I changed from girl to teenager,and I have 2 in each ear...

When I moved out from my home and became an independant I had my first tattoo,its a celtic dragon stile that I drew myself and planed for 3 years...

My second tattoo is a black cat that walks down my left side of the back,he is my guide in life,and I had him made when I moved to southamerica...  Talk abuot big change... : :panther:

After a long and strong depression I hadmy bellybottn pieced as a symbol of pulling the pain to the outside where I can see it,and to show that I´m no longer ashamed of myself...

Then I got my own machine...oh ohhh and to kill the fear of loosing my neclace with my pentagram,I thought i was a graet idea to put it on my skin permanently... :pent:

Then a friend of mine offerd me a free tattoo as big as I wanted it,because he wanted to try on white skin,so I have a very big black crow flying in front of a metal trigram in my neck and higherback,sholder to sholder...
The crow has shown itself to me many times in the fire and the sky,So I feel close to him...
We have 2 crows in the Nordic mythology,Hugin and Munin,mine is Munin
He was done after my first year of marrigde... :ravena:

On my left foot,second toe I have a little trigram,because I love thetoerings,but when you practice Taekwondo every day it is anoying to take it off an on all the time,so I tattoo one instead...;) :trefoil:

At the day of the daed I had a big ritual that confirmed I have finaly made peace with my father,and when I cleaned my space burning an Oakleaf I saw a symbol of 3 dots in a perfect triangel,3 times... It was straight angeld all 3 times...
An I just new that it was to be tattooed on my left thom justunder the nail,sa that I did the next day,..:) :trisk:

After making peace with my father,a hidden drama appead from my mother and as I felt brave I took  the gots to solve with her too,to clear the weight of my past,so I can move freeley forward...
It has bee a lot of hard work on the inside That I now have putin it´s place,and with that  I had my tung pieced a month ago...
That was painfull he he,but not as much as all the things that I have put into place inside myself... :torc:

All my tattoos are home drewn to be as personal as possible... I would hate to see some one else with one of mine without it being an agreement ofcourse...

I would never have it any-otherway...

I hate when people come to me and just want a tattoo for the having a tattoo...
They don´t even care what they have,they just wants it for the look of it...
And I know that I am marking them for life...
I lose a lot of time explainig symbols ect,but I do it because I feel that their should be a bigger reason than just fashion,to have inc done....

:pent:
Magic is comparable to the great sun of the ages,wich ever shines bright in the infinite sky.
It is not the fault of the sun if we cannot see it,it is due to own lack of vision...

katsu
OBOD Druid

Postby katsu » 30 Jan 2007, 18:31

Well, last friday I had a new one done.
I could tell you what it is, but a picturesays more than a thousand words :grin:

ita

Postby ita » 31 Jan 2007, 18:29

NIIIZZZEEEEEE I like it a lot...:)
Magic is comparable to the great sun of the ages,wich ever shines bright in the infinite sky.
It is not the fault of the sun if we cannot see it,it is due to own lack of vision...

Alasdair
OBOD Ovate

Postby Alasdair » 01 Feb 2007, 04:35

I've often thought about a tattoo (Maybe an adolescent phase?), but have come back to my dad for guidance.  He got his at about 17, and has regretted it ever since.  The main reason for this regret is because there is a certain opinion a person forms of you when they see a tattoo, which is very true. His is on his forearm, and as he owns his own restaurants, his forarms aren't often covered.  Anyway, I've pondered many things.  Ideally, it would be some sort of tiger paw or tiger, but I'm not sure I will go through with it.  Without my ego getting too inflated...some female friends cautioned it might be seen as a flaw to a sexy body..  :oops: .  No more ego food.
To the mind that is Still -- The whole Universe Surrenders.

Return to “The Attic”