2nd Annual Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange Rules and FAQ

Herein are contained classic stories and other timeless threads penned by patrons of the Druid's Head Pub. To suggest additions, please contact the Moderator.
Twyrch
OBOD Druid

2nd Annual Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange Rules and FAQ

Postby Twyrch » 01 Nov 2007, 00:59

As the “Official” Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange coordinator, it is my pleasure and responsibility to inform everyone of how the gift exchange works.

First, the dates of the 2007 Annual Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange!
2007 Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange

Secret Yuletide Signups Accepted: Thursday, November 1, 2007 – Thursday, November 29, 2007

Secret Yuletide Partners Drawn: Friday, November 30, 2007

Secret Yuletide Gifts Created: Friday, November 30, 2007 – Thursday, December 20, 2007

Secret Yuletide Gifts Given: Friday, December 21, 2007

Secret Yuletide Partners Revealed: Friday, December 28, 2007

SECRET YULETIDE GIFT EXCHANGE GUIDELINES

SIGNUPS: The Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange is open to everyone, which means you don’t have to be an OBOD member to participate in the exchange. To signup, simply add a post to this page requesting to take part and I will add your name to the signup sheet.

PARTNERS: Once signups have completed, I will notify each person, via PM, letting you know who you will with whom you have been paired. Remember, this is supposed to be a secret so please do not reveal your identity to your secret partner, as that will spoil the nature of the exchange.

GIFT CREATION: Some gifts ideas could be a poem, a picture, a story, a ritual, a recipe… anything which you feel the other person might enjoy receiving. This shouldn't be a contest or competition... It truly is the thought that counts here. Even a simple note of encouragement and blessing or a sincere compliment is a gift in and of itself.

GIFT SUBMISSION: Once your gift is created, please pass it along via PM to me. I will hold them all until December 21st, when I will distribute them to all participants at the same time. Please be sure to remind me who the gift is for, so it will be easier to submit them to the proper recipient.

THE REVEAL: On December 28th, I will publish a list of everyone’s secret partner, so you can thank them personally.

BE TIMELY: There’s nothing worse than the feeling that you’ve been forgotten, overlooked or aren’t important, so please be sure to get your gift in on time so that everyone can have a joyful and festive Yuletide celebration.

HAVE FUN: This is a great opportunity to get to know a fellow forum member a little bit better and share some joy and happiness with each other. The goal is for everyone to feel welcome, loved and blessed this Yuletide season and to pass that feeling along to others. By signing up, you are choosing to share a part of yourself with someone you may or may not know, so enjoy the experience!

QUESTIONS: If you have any questions, please contact me via PM and I will be glad to answer your questions. I don't get online as much as I used to, so please be patient. I’d hate for a question to not get answered because I didn’t log in regularly.

SECRET YULETIDE GIFT EXCHANGE FAQ
  • Q) Will these gifts be made public? What if my creation is something deeply private or personal for my secret partner?
    A) At the end of the exchange, once the partners have been revealed, participants will have an opportunity to thank their secret partner publically or privately. Sharing the gift you’ve been given will be a personal matter left up to individual choice.

Q) What if I know this person outside of the forum and would like to hand-deliver it to them?
    A) If you know someone outside of the forum and choose to hand-deliver the gift to them, please let me know so I can mark you down as having completed your exchange. However, please remember that no money should be spent in making these gifts. It’s not about the size or cost of the gift, but the thought behind it.

Q) I don’t have any talent to speak of: I can’t draw a stick figure, I’m not creative, I can’t rhyme, I can’t cook and I can never get my rituals right. What do I have to offer? I don’t want someone to hate my gift, but I’d love to be a part of the exchange. What can I do?
    A) We understand that not everyone has found their creative spark, but again, this exchange is about the thought behind the gift, not the gift itself. Perhaps you have a blessing, or ritual, or poem, or story, or picture or something else which touches you deeply and means a great deal to you. Feel free to pass this along with a word of encouragement to your partner. Sometimes, it only takes a small smile to light up a large room.

Q) Why is the signup period so long? What if I forget I’ve signed up?
    A) The signup period will last almost an entire month because not everyone logs into the forum on a daily basis and we want to make sure everyone has an opportunity to participate, who would like to do so. Once the signups have completed, I will contact everyone to let you know with whom you’ve been paired, and I will send reminders as the deadline grows closer, to ensure everyone receives a gift at the same time.

Q) Do we have to wait until the 20th to submit our gift? I’d love to participate, but I plan to be traveling during that time and I won’t have access to the internet to send the gift until after the exchange is over.
    A) No, you don’t have to wait until the 20th to turn in your gift. You will have a full 3 weeks to create and submit your gift to me and I will distribute them at the proper time.

Q) How are the partners paired up? Do you choose someone for each person or can we list preferences of who we’d like to give a gift to?
    A) Everyone will be paired up randomly through calculations made in an Excel worksheet. You will not get to choose who you will be paired with, after all, part of the fun of this is learning more about other people on the forum.

Q) Does your gift have to have a Yuletide theme or can it be about anything?
    A) No, your gift doesn’t have to have a Yuletide theme, or any theme for that matter. Your gift should be a reflection of your partner’s personality, tastes or interests. After all, that is part of the process in learning about your partner and all part of the nature of this exchange.

Q) Could I ask someone else to create a gift for me to give to my secret partner…? If so, how would I go about doing that?
    A) There is no restriction on how you come about acquiring your gift as long as it’s legal and doesn’t cost any money. The choice of asking someone for help will be left to your discretion and that person’s willingness to assist you. For instance, if you want to give a poem to your secret partner and know someone on the forum or outside the forum who is skilled in that area, it will be up to you to contact that individual and acquire their services, but please, do not pay someone to create the gift for you… again, money should not be a factor in the quality of the gift given.
Yuletide Blessings,

Twyrch

Here is a list of all who have signed up, thus far. I will continue to keep this list updated as I check this thread.
  • John
    Jingle
    Ghostrider
    SilverStorm
    Lapis Lazuli
    Aylyn
    Severina
    Willowhawk
    Donata
    Baobab
    Mey
    Dryadia2
    Cosmic Ash
    Romelia
    katsu
    ladyorris
    SilverStorm
    Neeltje
    Rhodonit
    Jinx
    Scylla
    Twig
    Hennie
    Zeb
    Naiya
    Nova Gladius
    Seabhag
    Fianait
    earthwoman
    WillowCat
    serenarian
    butterfly watcher
    CelticDao
    dreaming-bear
Last edited by Twyrch on 01 Dec 2007, 02:39, edited 11 times in total.
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

John
Location: Under the weight of three cockatieals sitting against a tree reading a book

Re: 2nd Annual Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange Rules and FAQ

Postby John » 01 Nov 2007, 02:14

ohhhhhh! I remember doing this last year. I got the best picture ever that i still use for my avatar!

I'm so doing this again! :D
Just the breeze in the tree, slowly floating by with grace.
Circle of the Four Dragons

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 01 Nov 2007, 03:59

Count me in! Last year I got the most lovely story, and really enjoyed coming up with a poem for my partner!
:yay:
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Ghostrider
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghostrider » 01 Nov 2007, 07:46

Excellent!!

Count me in!
"I don't suffer from INSANITY!! I enjoy every minute of it!"

R0wdy Atomic WEDGIE-master

2007 SBImage
Finder of lost Message board Souls of the Most Holy (or not) Order of Slightly Reformed Non-Visigoth Circus Performers

SilverStorm

Postby SilverStorm » 01 Nov 2007, 09:10

Me too me too! :yay: :yay:
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.  Kahlil Gibran

My Ancestry: Image  ImageImage

Lapis Lazuli

Postby Lapis Lazuli » 01 Nov 2007, 10:43

Don't forget me. :grin:

Actually, I really laughed at the last FAQ-question. Maybe you'll ask someone to create a poem, and then it turns out to be the one you have asked. :razz:
Novas portas pandimus et post nos occludimus (Epica)

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 01 Nov 2007, 12:37

Hmmm - I have never tried that before, but am willing to give it a go. Apart from the "Unveil your secret partner" thing - can we keep it secret? I am soooo self-conscious :boggle:

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Severina
OBOD Bard

Postby Severina » 01 Nov 2007, 14:26

I'm with Aylyn on this, I'm happy to take part but would prefer it to be kept a secret. (Unless of course my creative juices really get flowing and produce something excellent - in which case, tell the world! :D )

Either way, count me in.

:)

(I'm very keen to know which 'calculations' are made in the excel spreadsheet to match partners :shrug: )
Severina

Willowhawk
OBOD Bard
Location: ...over grass and over stone, and under mountains in the moon...

Postby Willowhawk » 01 Nov 2007, 17:16

Add me, please. :)
Peace over anger. Honour over hate. Strength over fear.

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 01 Nov 2007, 17:47

I really enjoyed this last year so please count me in!

Re revealing the gift, just my feeling - I feel it should be mutually agreed on by both the giver and gift recipient before either one makes it public. Seems to me it's about the gift to a particular person, getting to know your person,etc. It's not another Eisteddfod! Just my opinion. :shrug:

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 01 Nov 2007, 18:09

The reveal is not revealing the gift. The reveal is only revealing the names of who was partnered with whom. That way you have the ability to privately thank the person who gave you your gift. The only people that need know what you sent is you, your partner, and of course Mr. Twyrch who will turn a blind eye and keep everything private.

Hope that clears it up a little.
Light,

Jingle

2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 01 Nov 2007, 18:13

Thanks Jingle. I misunderstood! :blink:

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 01 Nov 2007, 20:06

Please can I join in as well?

Mey

Postby Mey » 01 Nov 2007, 21:01

Where was I last year that I missed this completely??? Please count me in this year!!!
:curtsey: Peace, Love and Icecream
~ Mey ~ Kinky Tinky Winky ~

Random poster award 2007The Holy Helm of Randomness: :helm:
Great High Queen of Ramdom...ness and Cantelope squasher!

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 01 Nov 2007, 21:46

Add me too please! :yay:

:dryadia: /|\
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 02 Nov 2007, 12:46

The reveal is not revealing the gift. The reveal is only revealing the names of who was partnered with whom. That way you have the ability to privately thank the person who gave you your gift. The only people that need know what you sent is you, your partner, and of course Mr. Twyrch who will turn a blind eye and keep everything private.

Hope that clears it up a little.
Thanks for explaining that, Jingle. :)

Once the gift exchange is complete, I will reveal who everyone's "secret pal" was so you can privately thank them. The choice to publically show your gift is a personal choice and not required at all.

I'm glad to see so many people signing up! :hug:
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 02 Nov 2007, 14:47

Once the gift exchange is complete, I will reveal who everyone's "secret pal" was so you can privately thank them. The choice to publically show your gift is a personal choice and not required at all.
Actually, my problem is less the sharing of the gift than the sharing of the person who sent it. I would be happy to have my gift shared if the recipient thought it was worth it, but hate to have revealed that it was from me. What if the other person did not like it :duck:

PANIC!!!!!

But still, will have a go....

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 02 Nov 2007, 20:07

Hi Twyrch,
Please sign me up for this too!
I just missed the deadline for last year :-(
I'm really nervous, but Id love to join in.
CA

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 02 Nov 2007, 23:48

PANIC!!!!!
Take a big breath, relax... :cloud9: You posted a beautiful photograph in the Eisteddfod, and that's a hugely competetive category with so many entries. I for one would be delighted to have such a gift as that (or any other beautiful nature photograph). And then I would certainly wish to know who had sent it to me.

The spirit is behind the gift. No need for embarrassment, and no one is going to "not like" your gift. If it really bothers you, you can always tell Twyrch that you wish to remain anonymous, and maybe he can list you as "anonymous"? Just a thought.
Light,

Jingle

2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
----------------

Ghostrider
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghostrider » 03 Nov 2007, 03:18

Mwuhahaha...

Well.. with the current male / female sign-up rate.. I reckon Twyrch, John and I will have a good chance of getting some 'female attention', hehehe :grin: :-)
"I don't suffer from INSANITY!! I enjoy every minute of it!"

R0wdy Atomic WEDGIE-master

2007 SBImage
Finder of lost Message board Souls of the Most Holy (or not) Order of Slightly Reformed Non-Visigoth Circus Performers

Return to “The Attic”