What's your preferred divination pack?

Herein are contained classic stories and other timeless threads penned by patrons of the Druid's Head Pub. To suggest additions, please contact the Moderator.

The Celtic Tree Oracle - Liz and Colin Murray
3%
The Druid Animal Oracle - the Carr-Gomms and Bill Worthington
45%
The Green Man Tree Oracle - Bill Worthington illustrator
3%
Celtic Wisdom Tarot - Caitlin Matthews
No votes
Celtic Animal Totems Deck - John Matthews
3%
The Celtic Book of the Dead - Caitlin Matthews
3%
Celtic Wisdom Sticks - Caitlin Matthews
No votes
The Silver Branch Cards - Nicholas Mann
No votes
Any other Tarot deck
27%
Any other Oracle deck
15%

Total votes: 33

Karen

Postby Karen » 16 Apr 2004, 01:49

What's your preferred pack, the one you go to the most?
What do you like about it?
Do you use it for yourself only or for others too? Or do you have different packs for different needs?

P.S. I think the John Matthews Oracle deck is called that. I think he may have an Arthurian Tarot out as well, it's difficult to keep track!

:D :D
Karen

Loosh

Postby Loosh » 16 Apr 2004, 02:18

Hi Karen:
I like the Morgan-Greer Tarot deck for most purposes. It has a very warm & nuturing feeling to it. I have also a couple of rare decks, out of print--but they have to call to me before I bring them out. I am looking forward to the publication of the Druidry Tarot in the fall.
:grin:

Jaguar
OBOD Bard

Postby Jaguar » 16 Apr 2004, 03:01

I use different oracles for different purposes. It all depends on what forces are pulling at me, and where I feel compelled to focus for answers. I really feel oracular devices allow you to calm, center and focus yourself so that you can find the answer within, rather than revealing info to you, so I guess I could say it depends on what part of myself I need to consult. Sometimes, I may ask the same question of more than one, to feel out different parts of myself.

Of all the ones you listed, I like the Druid Animal Oracle very much. I also use the Celtic Shaman's Pack, The Medicine Cards and The Sacred Path Cards in addition to another Celtic Oracle who's name escapes me, and the runes. In fact, 8 times out of 10 I use the runes for quick, personal info. I also have three tarot decks. One so old it has no box, so I can't tell you which one it is. The Ukiyoe Tarot, which is a Japanese deck I really like, as it appeals to the Buddhist in me, and Tarot of the Cat People. I can't remember the last time I used a tarot deck though...hmmmm....

Karen

Postby Karen » 16 Apr 2004, 03:38

I was going to include the Sacred Path cards in the list funnily enough, but then I felt I had to stop somewhere.
The medicine cards - are they Jamie Sams deck?

:D
Karen

Willowwind

Postby Willowwind » 16 Apr 2004, 15:35

I have two different arthurian tarot decks and a glastonbury deck but whiile I understand the alegory of the arthurian decks easily the changes in them (not having the standard cups pentecale swords and wands) makes it difficult and confusing for me when discussing Tarot with anyone who doesn't use that deck. In fact even the two Arthurian decks are different from each other.

I've started usin gthe animal oracle and even though I can't really discuss it with my friends who do tarot, it's straight forward and easy for me to understand.

Scylla
OBOD Ovate

Postby Scylla » 16 Apr 2004, 15:41

Hi

I like the Sacred Rose Tarot. It´s full of colours and images, and is very complete. I´m also working with Ogham and I have the I Ching waiting in line. :-)
You don´t choose your believes, your believes choose you.

Jaguar
OBOD Bard

Postby Jaguar » 16 Apr 2004, 21:46

I was going to include the Sacred Path cards in the list funnily enough, but then I felt I had to stop somewhere.
The medicine cards - are they Jamie Sams deck?
Karen
Interesting....hmmm. Yes, the Medicine Cards and the Sacred Path Cards are both by Jamie Sams. She did the Medicine Cards with David Carson.

CopperLion

Postby CopperLion » 17 Apr 2004, 00:56

The Druid Animal Oracle is my deck of choice for divination, but I also use a Nigel Jackson Tarot deck for spell work. I like the dream-like quality of the DAO illustrations, and the Nigel Jackson deck has a charming medieval quality to the pictures.

"We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future. "
- George Bernard Shaw

White Dragonwolf

Postby White Dragonwolf » 17 Apr 2004, 01:06

I use several oracle decks and tarot decks. I have the Druid Animal Deck & The Celtic Tree Deck. I like the Celtic Dragon tarot deck too. :-D

Depends on the question in mind.

TechnoDruid

Postby TechnoDruid » 17 Apr 2004, 01:07

I'll stick with my Animal Oracle and Furthark Runes. :grin:

ailm
OBOD Bard

Postby ailm » 17 Apr 2004, 01:09

Actually, I prefer the I Ching, which really seems to be a being of wisdom with its own life, like a little portable Taoist sage. Also, I studied with Builders of the Adytum for a time, and I like their Tarot, which is Golden Dawn based. As part of your training, you color it yourself, which helps you to personalize the cards, and, more importantly, absorb the cards into your deeper mind. That said, I'm really tempted to get a Green Man Oracle; I think the designs are so cool I'm using one for my avatar!

astrocelt

Postby astrocelt » 18 Apr 2004, 21:56

Greetings

“What's your preferred pack, the one you go to the most?”

These have to be the ‘Astro Tarot’ pack.

“What do you like about it?”

Unlike conventional cards these are square in shape. The major arcana have subtle imagery containing appropriate symbols and colour. Together these are presented within a circular confinement within the square. The minor arcane, is very similar yet void of the recognisable images. The circular display is the host for specific colours combined again with interrelated symbols to the major. The beauty of the cards is enhanced further through the way they can be presented. In one instance much like the traditional set whether one indulges in the upright or reverse reading. The uniqueness of the square is that four sides become harnessed. Therefore any card within the pack can be interpreted in four different ways allowing further insight into its operation.

“Do you use it for yourself only or for others too?”

My understanding is the tarot would not allow a personal reading to be undertaken for the self. However if the need did arise then I would consult a reputable colleague, but at the same time catch then unawares. Having said that, I appreciate that others may not hold this point of view. So the cards are principally there to assist others, feedback when it arrives on those rare occasions is often positive. As I am certain, those who have undertaken reading in the manner, which I speak, are aware. One of those rare but rewarding moments was using it for ‘others’, but also being in a position of observing its materialisation.

Nonetheless the subtleness of the pack allows them to be idea, when speaking publicly about the tarot, together with demonstrating their effectiveness as a tool. Once the stigma often attached is explained and partially removed. A few quick demonstration of how they unfold themselves to members of the audience is always a winner. So hopefully one has at least planted a few seeds along the way towards a greater awareness of its potential. However unfortunately it’s often, only the reading aspect of the tarot people find most fascinating. In most cases its connected to the same old questions asked in a variety of ways. However once introduced and the tarot utilised its deeper aspects and operations evolve over time. In some cases it can also move its users away from the previous endeavour.

“Or do you have different packs for different needs?”

I do have another traditional pack available; ‘others’ simply make the choice to which pack is needed or simply going to be used.

Although one is aware of the packs listed and indeed some colleagues do prefer to use them. At the end of the day any pack of cards or indeed the path one walks has to vibrate in harmony with its user. However in this instance Karen, I’ll decline from placing a vote on the poll. Specifically as each pack have an equal importance with their unique story. Indeed as Ailm points out, they simply are just one tool among many others that are globally available.

Astrocelt

hawthorn

Postby hawthorn » 18 Apr 2004, 23:14

I used to use the Legend Arthurian pack, I use the Merlin Tarot now along with The Druid Animal Oracle.
I gave away my Medicine pack by Sams, purely because I couldnt connect well with most of the animals depicted, as I was working with animals that were native to me in the UK.
It was afterwards someone came up and offered me a pack of The Druid Animal Oracle and it was then I first really became aware of the Druid path.
I use The Herbal Tarot to do general/ casual readings as it is a nice variation on the traditional Rider Waite pack and more light hearted than the Merlin, which seems to go to very deep and it isnt always appropriate
Bright Blessings to you all
Hawthorn :panther:
The depth of a soul cannot be measured by what appears on the surface.

CelticWind

Postby CelticWind » 18 Apr 2004, 23:33

When it comes to card sets the only one I actively use in the Druid Animal Oracle, and I do readings for not only meself, but others as well. I've been using it ever since my birthday last August.

Blessings from the trees, CelticWind
:wolfmoon: :maple:
"I see the old men, all twisted and torn.
The forgotten heroes of a forgotten war.
And the young people ask me, 'what are they
marching for'?
And I ask myself the same question."

----
:wolfmoon: :maple:

Willowhawk
OBOD Bard
Location: ...over grass and over stone, and under mountains in the moon...

Postby Willowhawk » 20 Apr 2004, 19:58

I have the Druid Animal deck, which I like a lot, but don't feel completely comfortable consulting yet. I love my Sacred Circle Tarot (Anne-- ? Bah, can't recall the name, but she and Paul Mason? have a few decks), and I like the Fairy Ring deck too. My Goddess oracle is an old reliable-- my first oracle deck-- but my alltime favorite is Brian Froud and Jessica Galbraith's (sp?) Faery Oracle.

Somehow... it never matter what deck I'm using, but Death comes up OFTEN. Think there might be a transfigurative event I'm avoiding...? ;)
Peace over anger. Honour over hate. Strength over fear.

Corvinna

Postby Corvinna » 21 Apr 2004, 10:56

Hi Guys,
I have used many forms of divination over the years, including a Colour Oracle I designed myself about 20yrs ago, but I have to say the one I resonate with the most (besides my own) is Peter Precownic's Dragon Tarot. The imagery is stunning! I was actually led to this deck thru a 'journey' experience and it has taken me ever deeper, not only into the world of Tarot, but into an ever expanding universe.
Tarot, like all other forms of divintion, is a multi-fasceted tool, a trigger, that encourages you to trust yourself to explore the miriad multiverses of your awareness.
The reason I like the Dragon Tarot so much is because, with its gentle but unusual imagery, it appeals to anyone at any level. I am a proffessional reader, and it has been my experience so far, that people are often intimidated by the concept of tarot, especially if it is their first reading, but they are so fascinated by the dragons, they forget to be nervous and completely relax...consequently much more is achieved during the consultation. Trusting the dragons has taught me to trust myself.
I have, on occasion read the cards for myself, but I found that true objectivity tends to 'exit stage left' as it were...so, like Astrocelt, I go to a 'trusted collegue'........Astrocelt :lol:
I have 'met' the Astro Tarot, that Astrocelt has mentioned...and had personal experience of his readings...'Profound' is the best adjective I can think of to describe the whole experience, and we have indeed been able to watch the 'predictions' unfold...with almost scary acuracy! Thanks Hon :) I shall be more on my guard next time you try to catch me unawares!!
As a final word tho...I must add, that in my opinion, any form of divination is only as good as the person using it, as it is merely an extension of our own consciousness.....
Bright Blessings
Corvinna

Unikorn
OBOD Druid

Postby Unikorn » 21 Apr 2004, 11:36

I usually use several. My favourites are the Wisdom of the Four Winds which is a set of cards from here in Aotearoa and they make sense to me on a level that the northern hemispheric ones don't yet. However, I also use the I Ching that makes sense to me in so many ways, and then the Druid Animal Oracle.

I also just got a copy of the Green Man Oracale that I am really enjoying as I learn about the trees and also how they correspond to my own understanding of indegenous trees here.

love and light from the Grove of the Kereru
We Chat Here - click to join us                  
Y Gwir yn erbyn Y Byd - Truth Against the World!
There is one word that will free us from the weight and the pain of life - that word is LOVE
"My vision is of a larger world. A place where the gentleness and courage of the peaceful way has the power to stand against any tide”. Barry Brailsford MBE
ImageImageThe OBOD Druid College of Healing

astrocelt

Postby astrocelt » 21 Apr 2004, 14:31

Greetings Corvinna,

Thank you for your kind words about the Astro Tarot deck produced by Tad Mann many years ago. I certainly agree with the opinions, which you express on the board. Specifically in respect to the ‘multiverse’ of universal awareness, which eventually enfolds and unlocks various doors of the human consciousness and subconscious. It is very similar to the other form of divination one uses, although the tarot is simply a short cut version. However being a “sucker” for detail, sometimes I find it has limitations too. Perhaps one will have to consult another colleague, now that ‘the cat is out of the bag’. On the other hand may you enjoy and learn from your continued discoveries. Indeed the same applies to all obodies and non-members who may use this form of divination; have a safe journey.

Blessings to all
Astrocelt

Majestic Knowledge!
Whence has it been imparted?
Knoweth thou what raised the mountain before making the earth habitable?
Who is the sponsor of life?
Whence is the stroke of extinction?
Who knows it?
Whence is the light of countenance?
What brings the sparkle out of polished stones?
What lies hidden in a flashing ruby and in the foam of the sea?
When the night retrieves, what wanton effulgence there is in the golden flood of day!
Now does any know, why the Sun's breast is crimsoned in pigment so perfect?
If it be fingers that fashioned me, the hollow of the hand will shield me.
Heaven's lineage shall not be abased.

Taliesin Mysticism translated by Dr J. G. Evans, 1910

dria

non tarot or oracle

Postby dria » 30 Apr 2004, 19:45

Hi I basically use the TV screen or tea leaves myself. or use of a reflective oraface, to clear the cobwebs from me and divine from that way.
All of nature is our teacher including the five elements.

Seko
OBOD Ovate

Re: non tarot or oracle

Postby Seko » 30 Apr 2004, 21:29

Hi I basically use the TV screen or tea leaves myself. or use of a reflective oraface, to clear the cobwebs from me and divine from that way.
A TV screen? Sorry for my ignorance but you use this screen as a mirror?

For me, the first one i have is a Tarot Of Marseille, but a leave this tarot in one of my desk tirrors since i build my personal tarot from book and symbolism... I love to work with theses card I make myself... I use the animal tarot sometime but only when i need relexion on a general subject...

Return to “The Attic”