The Atheist Druid

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Re: The Atheist Druid

Postby Brân Gannaid » 03 Jun 2014, 19:56

In the U.S., even atheist groups come under the heading "church" for tax and business purposes, so some of us may not be as easily triggered by these words.

Also, "chaplain" is a generic term used even when atheists are involved in providing what might be called "spiritual" care. So, again, in the U.S., an atheist providing similar care would officially be titled a chaplain.

I guess what I'm saying is, even if we don't care for those words, if we wish to serve in such capacities in the U.S., those would be the positions/laws associated with what we provide.

Potentially changing this would require sustained political action. If you wish to advocate for such changes, I say go for it!
Soaring high on a wind current, I gaze down at the rugged shapes of the mountains and the shimmering water of the lakes, and thank the Goddess that I am Crow.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 03 Jun 2014, 23:37

In the U.S., even atheist groups come under the heading "church" for tax and business purposes, so some of us may not be as easily triggered by these words.
There is another can of worms...organizations that get away with not paying their taxes because of the "beliefs" they hold (or don't hold). I say any tax break should be directly tied to the services you provide to your community...how many people you fed or shelter or what have you.

Although I am hard pressed to come up with any secular, non-governmental altruistic organizations...most seem to be religiously based, at least in my community...Salvation Army, Shepard's of Good Hope, The Union Mission....The Red Cross, I suppose. Are the Kiwanis religious?

edit: just to answer my own question:
The six permanent Objects of Kiwanis International were approved by Kiwanis club delegates at the 1924 Convention in Denver, Colorado.[11]

To give primacy to the human and spiritual rather than to the material values of life.
To encourage the daily living of the Golden Rule in all human relationships.
To promote the adoption and the application of higher social, business, and professional standards.
To develop, by precept and example, a more intelligent, aggressive, and serviceable citizenship.
To provide, through Kiwanis clubs, a practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service, and to build better communities.
To cooperate in creating and maintaining that sound public opinion and high idealism which make possible the increase of righteousness, justice, patriotism, and goodwill.[12]
That is pretty awesome...I think an Atheist Druid could get behind that....
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 04 Jun 2014, 07:14

I have tried to walk on both sides of this path to find an answer in my heart and mind,,I talked to my wife,,,,a non Druid,,, she talked to her priest,,, We allo sat at our fire pit and we could not define it,,, I say to be Druid you must believe in the force around you,,,the living force,,if you cant connect or feel ,,,you cant BE,,,
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 05 Jun 2014, 02:53

I have tried to walk on both sides of this path to find an answer in my heart and mind,,I talked to my wife,,,,a non Druid,,, she talked to her priest,,, We allo sat at our fire pit and we could not define it,,, I say to be Druid you must believe in the force around you,,,the living force,,if you cant connect or feel ,,,you cant BE,,,
I'm not sure "belief" comes into it for all people. Non-theists may not "believe" in gods, goddesses, a force, etc., although they may use these concepts as tools. I don't think that means they don't appreciate love or beauty, or experience awe at a sunset or have deep emotional sensations when they are with a beloved person or animal, or viewing a beautiful landscape. I have my own spiritual reality, and I know that my atheist friends and family members may not share my experience.

Perhaps we all reify our personal worldview that we construct and use heuristically to live our lives.

I'm married to an atheist, and he's one of the most "spiritual" people I've ever met.
Soaring high on a wind current, I gaze down at the rugged shapes of the mountains and the shimmering water of the lakes, and thank the Goddess that I am Crow.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 06 Jun 2014, 08:31

I say to be Druid you must believe in the force around you,,,the living force,,if you cant connect or feel ,,,you cant BE,,,
I think what you describe has nothing to do with belief or disbelief (theism, atheism) but direct experience, experience of life. Connection, feeling and being don't rely on belief, they are our interface with the living force, not our description or conception of it.

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 06 Jun 2014, 13:58

I say to be Druid you must believe in the force around you,,,the living force,,if you cant connect or feel ,,,you cant BE,,,
I think what you describe has nothing to do with belief or disbelief (theism, atheism) but direct experience, experience of life. Connection, feeling and being don't rely on belief, they are our interface with the living force, not our description or conception of it.
After years of trying to give words and meanings to 'the living force' I've come to the conclusion that you can *only* feel the connection. You can't say, or write, or even think *anything* that is true about 'it'.

Thx
David

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 07 Jun 2014, 00:08

Its the "Push and Pull"
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”