What is reality?

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Explorer
OBOD Druid

Re: What is reality?

Postby Explorer » 19 Jan 2011, 17:45

its an interesting idea but did anyone else think "hang on a min, something based on the edge of the universe that has all the information about who we are.. .sounds a bit creationist!!" also does this mean that the information is already there? does this include information about all the decisions we will make in the future.. ?
Well.. yes, a little bit. But this was purely math and physics, it didn't imply any intelligence or entities behind it.
it is interesting afterall that they say that holograms are a way of storing 3 dimensions on a 2 dimensional plate, so are we really 4 dimensions on a 3 dimensional field or something??
I don't think so, they meant that pretty litteral I think. The surface of a sphere is a 2-dimensional plane (curved in 3-dimensional space). The sphere contained by it is 3D. But I don't really understand how far that theory goes either.
(our 3-dimensional space itself is curved in a higher dimension also, that is why light apparently bends around black holes and such, but that is another story).
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Aemilius

Postby Aemilius » 14 Mar 2012, 05:31

Hello Heddwen (nice to meet you, or have I already at Druidic Dawn?)....

Heddwen "I watched this Horizon episode last night and understood every word of it LOL"

Don't forget there's a lot of truth in all humor!

Heddwen "....holographic projection from the event horizon of a black hole, expanded to a theory that says reality is a holographic projection from the edge of our universe. It also explores the possibility of parallel existences."

That's really fascinating, the holographic thing. Somehow though, I intuitively resist the idea that it all originates from some two dimensional bubble like periphery, it doesn't seem to explain adequately the seeming substance of things, at least from my point of view. I'm really thinking more in terms of a kind of holographic/string theory hybrid, where, instead of everything being projected from the periphery by a single two dimensional plane of origin into empty space, perhaps it's really more like a single hologram (fittingly from the Greek words holos meaning " whole," and gramma meaning "message") that has been infinitely shattered into a cloud of unimaginably small fragments. It's well known that if you break a hologram in half, each half will be found to contain all the information that was contained in the original intact single hologram before it was broken. On a grand scale, and carried to the extreme, this would nicely explain how every single particle in the universe, no matter how small, could literally contain all the information in the universe, and also how the universe itself may actually be a holographic projection that seamlessly originates from all points within the cloud of hologram fragments simultaneously from moment to moment and.... time for another drink!
WTC7.... http://aemilius.sosblog.com/ .... A Conclusive Empirically Verifiable Graphical Target System Analysis

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 14 Mar 2012, 11:04

:gulp:

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 14 Mar 2012, 13:03

René Descartes?
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 14 Mar 2012, 13:36

René Descartes?
Is this a reference to the "Philosophers Song"... http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-philosop ... ython.html
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 14 Mar 2012, 15:00

René Descartes?
Is this a reference to the "Philosophers Song"... http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-philosop ... ython.html
:grin:
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Red Raven

Postby Red Raven » 14 Mar 2012, 22:01

I would recommend Brian Greene's latest "The Hidden Reality" (ISBN 978-0-141-02981-8) for an indepth but understandable overview of the nine current multiverse scenarios.

RR
I would rather ask questions than sit comfortably in silence.

Dragonwyst
OBOD Bard

Postby Dragonwyst » 17 Mar 2012, 12:27

Since this thread is moving again...I have recently been rehashing Quantum theory, Schrödinger's Cat and so forth.This, in the light of conversing via the internet with people regarding the ideas of the Law of Attraction. It seems to me that the line people draw between the inextricable state of the observer in the QM experiment and the idea that we therefore can change the very nature of things/an outcome at a macro level by our intentional observation, is something of a large leap.

What say you other philosphers? Do you think there is a valid connection, a tenuous connection or no connection? or is it all a great unknown? :where:

Bart
OBOD Ovate

Postby Bart » 29 Aug 2012, 20:08

Since this thread is moving again...I have recently been rehashing Quantum theory, Schrödinger's Cat and so forth.This, in the light of conversing via the internet with people regarding the ideas of the Law of Attraction. It seems to me that the line people draw between the inextricable state of the observer in the QM experiment and the idea that we therefore can change the very nature of things/an outcome at a macro level by our intentional observation, is something of a large leap.

What say you other philosphers? Do you think there is a valid connection, a tenuous connection or no connection? or is it all a great unknown? :where:
The leap is as follows: The double slit experiments shows the observer effect: By controlling reality by observation - we create our universe by observing it, Our spirit creates the universe it wants (enter charma, rebirthing and what have you), since our spirit created our reality - we can create another reality, by positive thinking we create a positve reality, and poof we are rich by rwally believing we are rich. If you are not rich yet, you did not really believe it,.... you infidell.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 29 Aug 2012, 22:37

The leap is as follows: The double slit experiments shows the observer effect: By controlling reality by observation - we create our universe by observing it, Our spirit creates the universe it wants (enter charma, rebirthing and what have you), since our spirit created our reality - we can create another reality, by positive thinking we create a positve reality, and poof we are rich by rwally believing we are rich. If you are not rich yet, you did not really believe it,.... you infidell.

But really..what is "rich" and what do we really mean when we say "experiment" or "observer" or "we"?

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”