Ye Olde Timey Skeptic

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Ye Olde Timey Skeptic

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Jun 2012, 00:35

Whilst doing some genealogical research, I found this in some old New Haven, Connecticut court records from 1640. It pleases me to think that even while living in the middle of a Puritan theocracy, someone was saying "yea, right" out loud.
Attachments
ATHIEST.gif
ATHIEST.gif (14.43 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Re: Ye Olde Timey Skeptic

Postby Badger Bob » 22 Jun 2012, 09:13

That isn't quite how I read it. To me it looks like someone has been accused of scoffing at religion and he has protested his innocence in court. The court couldn't prove the case against him but admonished and cautioned him as a warning to him and to others. Given the petty bickering nature of such court cases both here in the UK and the colonies in the C17th it could well just be a case of vexatious litigation.

It would be nice if he actually was sticking two fingers up to the theocracy though...

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 22 Jun 2012, 10:21

Like the way religion, admonition and caution are spelt; makes me want to say them with a French accent (French phonology looks similar with its nasalised vowels).

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Jun 2012, 11:41

That isn't quite how I read it. To me it looks like someone has been accused of scoffing at religion and he has protested his innocence in court.
I think I would turn religious quickly, too...."Wasn't me, Your Honour...God bless you!"....faced with a flogging in the square.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 22 Jun 2012, 16:43

I, simply through my sceptic reasoning, could convince them not to flog me (or worse) for my disbelief in God.

And if not, well, Jehovah curse them!

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Jun 2012, 20:47

I wonder if anyone has done a history of religious skepticism? Probably, eh? Like the Bible verse
Psalm 14:1-3 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."
leads one to believe there were "fools" saying such things from the get-go.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Kishi
OBOD Bard

Postby Kishi » 26 Jun 2012, 03:25

I wouldn't equate that Bible quote with C17th puritanism. I'd equate its 'fools' with what Einstein described as 'dead':

"The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead.
To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms ~ this knowledge, this feeling is at the centre of true religiousness.
"

I do not assume that the 'God' of the Bible is the one talked about by bitter Sunday school teachers.
'Would to God that all the Lord's people were prophets' Numbers 11:29

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 26 Jun 2012, 04:01

Nice Einstein quote!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”