Is science truth?

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Is science truth?

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Aug 2012, 19:45

Thus, the bottom line is that a majority of people is able to declare a truth as long as there are no more objective facts speaking against that opinion.

:shake: Thank you for clarifying your position I really have nothing to add.

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 23 Aug 2012, 07:02

Thus, the bottom line is that a majority of people is able to declare a truth as long as there are no more objective facts speaking against that opinion.

:shake: Thank you for clarifying your position I really have nothing to add.
So, everything that pagans believe in is wrong, because we are a minority?
In truth, we all go to hell and burn, because that is what a majority believes and there are not objective facts speaking against it?
:huh:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Al Hakim
OBOD Druid

Postby Al Hakim » 23 Aug 2012, 19:31

Perhaps Christians are the minority among 7 Billion people worldwide? And, are you sure to burn in hell? Perhaps it is fun beyond any limits down there.

Dragonling

Postby Dragonling » 24 Aug 2012, 00:47

Perhaps Christians are the minority among 7 Billion people worldwide? And, are you sure to burn in hell? Perhaps it is fun beyond any limits down there.
Considering the vast majority of Christians can't agree on their own dogma...how many different sects are there now? (Granted, that applies to pretty much any religion with a large following.) Seems like I still learn about a new one every other day, and I grew up in the church. Well one of them anyway. I find it hard to see them as the majority anymore because of that.

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 24 Aug 2012, 00:59

Considering the vast majority of Christians can't agree on their own dogma...
OBOD Druids are no better... :-) Lights touchpaper and retreats... :deadhorse:

cypresseyes
OBOD Bard

Postby cypresseyes » 24 Aug 2012, 03:55

Is science truth? The short answer is no, "truth" is truth. Years ago I was reading about Carl Jung's theory of Synchronicity and not quite getting the "truth" of this theory. And then I had a dream. In the dream I was in a general store of the kind found in the late 1800's. As I wandered the isles of this story I "understood" that the reality of this store was ancient. I gazed across a counter in the store and was confronted by a man seated at the counter who was the presence of age. I approached him and asked, "Can you explain to me Jung's theory of synchronicity?" It was his eyes that I remember most clearly. They looked back at me with a deep eternal wisdom and a whimsy. He replied, "Of course... The universe is more than mere cause and effect." I awoke at this point with a clear focus upon the dream and it contents. I was struck by significance of the word "mere" in the ancient one's reply to my question. It was as if he were summing up the total evidence of "scientific truth" in that single word and reducing it all to a secondary role in any ultimate search for "truth". Truth is real and experiential. Facts are uncovered with in the realm of science, but truth lies beyond.
"I am in the midst of my true life, I am most deeply myself. At times I feel as if I am spread out over the landscape and inside things, and am myself living in every tree, in the splashing of the waves, in the clouds, and the animals that come and go, in the procession the seasons..." Carl Jung: Memories, Dreams, Reflections

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 24 Aug 2012, 06:29

Considering the vast majority of Christians can't agree on their own dogma...
OBOD Druids are no better... :-) Lights touchpaper and retreats... :deadhorse:
JUST DON'T GO THERE, KATIE! :o
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 24 Aug 2012, 08:09

Considering the vast majority of Christians can't agree on their own dogma...how many different sects are there now? (Granted, that applies to pretty much any religion with a large following.) Seems like I still learn about a new one every other day, and I grew up in the church. Well one of them anyway. I find it hard to see them as the majority anymore because of that.
Not only that, but then there are the nominal Christians, believing because that's "all they know", or the only way they can make friends or advance their socio-political career or, who knows...?. Which must cut the number of "sincere" Christians at least by half.

Are there nominal pagans? Nominal scientists? lol

WrenWyrd
OBOD Bard

Postby WrenWyrd » 24 Aug 2012, 17:33

Truth is real and experiential. Facts are uncovered with in the realm of science, but truth lies beyond.
I like this.
Hedge-bandit, song-bomb, dart-beak, the wren
hops in the thicket, flirt-eye; shy, brave,
grubbing, winter's scamp, but more than itself–
ten requisite grams of the world's weight.
Carol Ann Duffy

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”