Any sufficiently advanced technology...

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Any sufficiently advanced technology...

Postby Whitemane » 30 Aug 2013, 12:43

...is indistinguishable from magic (Arthur C. Clarke.)

This is a fascinating story about a Roman-era glass goblet that included what must have been hand-ground gold and silver nanoparticles.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... 63661.html

The colour of the glass can be affected by the liquid in it. So if you read stories about a goblet that could detect poison in a drink, this may be the basis for the story.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Re: Any sufficiently advanced technology...

Postby Mountainheart » 30 Aug 2013, 14:15

Maybe that's what all magic is - something completely natural which works: but through a mechanism that we don't yet understand.

Thx
David

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Postby Dysgwr » 30 Aug 2013, 14:50

Very impressive.

Thanks for sharing
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 30 Aug 2013, 15:47

Blimey. Nice find Whitemane. Is this for real? The beardies at the museum haven't gone mad/decided it's April the first?
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 30 Aug 2013, 16:05

Blimey. Nice find Whitemane. Is this for real? The beardies at the museum haven't gone mad/decided it's April the first?
S
I hope not, I just gave them my credit card number :thinking:

Smithsonian is a great read, and I give out a couple of gift subscriptions.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 06 Jan 2014, 12:29

Maybe that's what all magic is - something completely natural which works: but through a mechanism that we don't yet understand.

Thx
David
I think you have something here. However I wouldn't say it is something we dont' have an understanding of, so much as it's not been turned into a science. For I am of a mind that modern science gutted ancient magical practice and left what we call "metaphysics" as it didnt' fit into many of today's sciences.
May the peace of the season find you,
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 06 Jan 2014, 13:56

Thx
David
I think you have something here. However I wouldn't say it is something we dont' have an understanding of, so much as it's not been turned into a science. For I am of a mind that modern science gutted ancient magical practice and left what we call "metaphysics" as it didnt' fit into many of today's sciences.
That's true: science has it's own paradigm and is structured so that to push against the status quo is likely to result in not being published (and therefore taken seriously) and not being funded.

I'm personally convinced that the power of the human mind to affect the external environment is much greater than it is given credit for. Magic / prayer / intention whatever you want to call it are methods that help us tap into that power. IMO

Thx
David

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”