Yet another bad experience...

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
CorvusCrow

Re: Yet another bad experience...

Postby CorvusCrow » 27 Nov 2013, 04:00

Catholics might be shocked by beliefs, and perhaps can be nasty, but Protestant Evangelists are a bit more evangelical in the way they try to convert you from your "evil ways". But I do talk generally; there are exceptions to the rule.
Exactly. Catholics might very well be surprised by your beliefs and might dismiss them as silly but are not nearly as likely to try to force the bible or the church on you.

Chenzen
OBOD Bard

Postby Chenzen » 24 Dec 2013, 06:55

the positive experinces have been with catholics they always listen and ask good questions and always answer theirs with something like faith is believing in what cannot be seen. they never look donw on me at all for what i believe in.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 24 Dec 2013, 13:01

This thread is excellent reading.
Hat off to Aiofe :tiphat: and all who hang on in with the argumentis circularis.
My tuppenceworth is that people and relationships are more important than dogmas. Anyone who destroys love and friendship for the sake of a dogma is a fool.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 24 Dec 2013, 21:25

the positive experinces have been with catholics they always listen and ask good questions and always answer theirs with something like faith is believing in what cannot be seen. they never look donw on me at all for what i believe in.
I have a feeling that's the case where Catholics are, on the whole, a minority. In Catholic countries (I live in Spain) Catholics may not seek converts (everyone's Catholic, aren't they? :whistle: ) but tell them what your beliefs are, they look at you as though your possessed by the devil and cross themselves. Depends on the zone your in. Cosmopolitan areas tend to be more free of this; villages in the country with older populations may tend to do this. Depende.
Anyone who destroys love and friendship for the sake of a dogma is a fool.
:shake:

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 14 Jan 2014, 01:23

I read most of all the replies and wonder why you still inter-react with ppl that dont like who your are as well as what you feel as equally as they think you should treat or think of them,,When a friend of mine asks for help I only ask "how big a shovel do I need" :grin:
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Broc
OBOD Ovate

Postby Broc » 13 Mar 2014, 12:48

I have to say, I've really enjoyed this thread......The conclusion I've come up with is....There are some of humanity who sadly do not question what they are told or what they have read but just blindly believe and feel it is their duty to quote their beliefs to anyone who is not on the same path as their own. :-| Then there are others who are the deep thinkers. :old: ...These people question everything and they take nothing at face value, these are the ones that see the flaws and danger in blind belief.
I'm glad to say.. :yay: ...I and most on this forum are in the second category. It is healthy to be cynical. x/l\x :tiphat:
ImageImageImage
( Broc, formerly Heulwen)

“The earth has music for those who care to listen.”
― George Santayana

Al Hakim
OBOD Druid

Postby Al Hakim » 12 Apr 2014, 20:30

Religlion is religion, does it matter if you replace christian labels with pagan labels?
Isn't it just a way to justify Belief in impossible stuff and stick to it? Despite facts, evidence or common sense.
I don't think that pagan 'believers' are less insane than christian 'believers', just less well organized and less abundant.
Druids can be different. We can learn how to bridge the gap of dualism, how to reconcile the apparent extremes of science and religion, which leads to interesting mystical discoveries.
Unfortunately, most of us seem to miss the point.
:old:
Explorer's statement is a contradiction in itself, because he equals Christianity and Paganism. Druidry is Paganism but not Christianism. On the other hand he his right to say that druidry might bridge the gap between religions. For us druids it is easy to achieve that as we only need to talk to the other side. However, the other party would have to let go of the idea that they alone possess the ability to communicate with the universe. They would need a modern view of the world, not we.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 13 Apr 2014, 08:02

Explorer's statement is a contradiction in itself, because he equals Christianity and Paganism. Druidry is Paganism but not Christianism.
There are plenty of Druids that consider themselves Christian. In fact, there's a whole sub-forum dedicated to it here.
Myself, I consider myself post-Christian. That is to say, Christianity is as much a part of me as Paganism, and somehow I have to integrate the two within me. So, for me, Druidry is a synthesis.

A quick look at the history of modern Druidry and its roots in Revival Druidry reveals that there is significant influence from Christianity.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 13 Apr 2014, 13:57

Many Pagan religions started way before what we now refer to as standard religions and the incorporate some or our beliefs in their service to make us feel more accepted
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 14 Apr 2014, 11:12

It's true that there is a substrate of Pagan traditions and beliefs that have carried on over into Christianity. I think it was Jean Markale that said modern Paganism is "archeology". Below modern Paganism there is a substrate of Christianity.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 14 Apr 2014, 13:19

Explorer's statement is a contradiction in itself, because he equals Christianity and Paganism.
Hmmm perhaps what he equates is one religion with another; whether they believe in one or many gods can become irrelevant once the patterns of social control, dogma and belief that underpin religion are institutionalised.

I believe that is the reason behind OBOD's view that it is a philosophy and thus capable of bridging various gaps. This frees the organisation up from those aspects that sit behind a religion.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Al Hakim
OBOD Druid

Postby Al Hakim » 14 Apr 2014, 19:23

Hi DaRC,

I agree that the OBOD follows a philosophy rather than a religion as there are no constraints by believing in a certain god/goddess, abiding by particular rites and so forth.

Tadhg001
OBOD Bard

Postby Tadhg001 » 22 Apr 2014, 07:45

Perhaps a good way of looking at ones personal beliefs is to treat then as a working hypothesis to be vindicated (or not) by experience. A crystallised set of beliefs, not treated this way, might close more doors than it opens. It is a burden to set walls of dogma around us with all the discomfort that cognitive dissonance, finding that the world is not like that, brings.

Tadhg
[pix=][img]Tadhg

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 23 Apr 2014, 05:27

Aoife,, I have traveled to many places and had to deal with many peoples so I needed to learn what they needed in their lives to get me what I needed from them,,I was never false with them and they never tried to convert me to see their ways,,These were very simple ppl living a simple life,,A life I came to respect and look for in my own life,,It didn't change my beliefs but I liked the simple way of looking at things,, Back here in the world ,,this our culture our need to make everyone except our or my way of thinking is sooo deeply seated in some ppl I cant stand to be near them ,,its depressing that someone that is educated could spout such crapp about anothers belieaf or what they see in their world is untrue of just plane false,,, Turn around and walk away,, your heart is yours and yours alone ,,I have no time for fools and I think you are the same ,,,

Dark Knight
OBOD Bard

Postby Dark Knight » 15 Mar 2015, 14:45

There are some wonderful progressive Christians as well as the frightening fundamentalists.

The latter tend to be quite uneducated except on the Bible, where they can selectively quote chapter and verse. I was once part of a Christian cult, Jehovah's Witnesses. We were told to avoid worldly thinking and worldly books and read the Bible with the aid of Watchtower publications (in case we came to our own individual understanding).

The best way to deal with people like your ex is to delete them from your lives and find new friends.

Don't reply to them and don't justify yourself.

My triad: -

To answer a stupid one is to lower yourself to their level. Don't give gold on those who prefer paper. The path of the foolish is their own free choice.

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”