150 Things to Worry About

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Dathi
OBOD Ovate

150 Things to Worry About

Postby Dathi » 26 Sep 2013, 18:54

Greetings,

Interesting list here: http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/what-1 ... ried-about
Every year, the online magazine Edge--the so-called smartest website in the world, helmed by science impresario John Brockman--asks top scientists, technologists, writers, and academics to weigh in on a single question. This year, that query was "What Should We Be Worried About?", and the idea was to identify new problems arising in science, tech, and culture that haven't yet been widely recognized.
What keeps the smartest folks in the world awake at night?

Skimming through this list, I'd say that many (if not most) of these concerns would be alleviated by the Boffins becoming Druids :old:

Even 62. The coming fight between engineers and druids. –Paul Saffo, technology forecaster

My mythos versus your machine.... it's no contest!

Internet is ruining writing, cultural extinction, humanity’s unmitigated arrogance, literally losing touch with the physical world, humankind stoping pursuing close observation, being inarticulately lost in Modernity etc.

All sorted here on DHP

And here is one that I hardly think is a real concern.

94. “We should worry about losing lust as the guiding principle for the reproduction of our species.” –Tor Norretranders, science writer

But here is a real challenge:

115. That “in one or two generations children will grow up to be adults who will not be able to tell reality from imagination.” --Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, psychologist

Lots to chew on.
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: 150 Things to Worry About

Postby Aphritha » 27 Sep 2013, 00:12

But here is a real challenge:

115. That “in one or two generations children will grow up to be adults who will not be able to tell reality from imagination.” --Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, psychologist
Already happening. I had a roommate that GENUINELY believed it was healthy to live ONLY off of reces peanut butter cups, cereal, and potato chips. You see, he got all his food groups this way. Salt, sugar, and protein(from the peanut butter).
This man was 30, not only graduated, but had attended some college.
My husband met a young man who believed the story behind the popular game World of Warcraft really happened. Good story, but wrong planet, man...again, this man had graduated, and was in college at the time of the statement.

“I've given up asking questions. l merely float on a tsunami of acceptance of anything life throws at me... and marvel stupidly.” (complete answer)--Terry Gilliam

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 27 Sep 2013, 01:07

Just like the old days, when people's mythology and magic and monsters in the forest were very real to them...so full circle, really...I wonder if Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi thinks this will happen because of wondrous technologies or a collapse to the dark ages?. I'm beginning to think we don't like reality very much...see it as a prison...and will use anything to saw through the bars...art, religion, political ideology, substances...psychologists...
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Al Hakim
OBOD Druid

Postby Al Hakim » 31 Oct 2013, 22:50

Hi,
Your beloved # 115 is already scientifically proven: There are many city children in Germany who are convinced that cows usually have a lavender color because a famous commercial spot shows a purple cow as the source of good milk for chocolates.-
Many of the other answers look a bit like German Angst, the fear of everything in the future. A little druidic placidity could be helpful indeed. My own fear is that the so-called social networks on the Internet make the frequent users stupid.

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 09 Dec 2013, 21:14

Alas Druidry teaches us we need only worry about our own journey. And it teaches us that a good sense of humor tends to take care of the rest. :hug:
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

RedSky
Deceased

Postby RedSky » 10 Dec 2013, 00:12

23. “I've given up asking questions. l merely float on a tsunami of acceptance of anything life throws at me... and marvel stupidly.” (complete answer)--Terry Gilliam

I really do hope that those I love make it thru this life time without experiencing too much brutality and ignorance.
Thats a pretty tall order I fear.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 10 Dec 2013, 17:12

My own fear is that the so-called social networks on the Internet make the frequent users stupid.
I'm with you on this. Or, not necessarily stupid, but socially lazy to the point it affects their ability to hold normal relationships.
Alas Druidry teaches us we need only worry about our own journey.
But what if part of our journey is worrying about other's journeys? Such as the case with therapists, parents, or anyone active in a community...
Sorry, just being difficult! :D
23. “I've given up asking questions. l merely float on a tsunami of acceptance of anything life throws at me... and marvel stupidly.” (complete answer)--Terry Gilliam

I really do hope that those I love make it thru this life time without experiencing too much brutality and ignorance.
Thats a pretty tall order I fear.
Or, one can hope that at least they'll have the attitude similar to this guy in which they'll be able to float above, and accept.
I actually had wrote this quote down.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 11 Dec 2013, 17:09

Is there a relationship between the words Twitter and Twits??? :grin:
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 11 Dec 2013, 17:14

Good question...

Mountain Lily
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountain Lily » 12 Dec 2013, 08:08

Is there a relationship between the words Twitter and Twits??? :grin:
No, not necessarily. :duck:

Lots of people (who don't participate) bad-mouth the Facebook & twitter. But like any gathering of humans, it is what you build of it yourself. There are a gazillion twits all around us all the time. But it isn't necessary to accept (or make) connections with the twits. There are also many fine folks who are a joy and an inspiration to communicate with. On a practical note, I belong to a Facebook gardening group here in my area, and I can learn what will grow well in my garden & when to plant -- which is especially helpful since I did not grow up in this climate. People there are very free with inside information about local nurseries and provide positive feedback on everyone's garden stresses and successes. :wink: I live thirty miles outside town, and if I had to drive to town to meet with them, I wouldn't want to spend the gas, and I'd miss out on a really great benefit.

Come to think of it, the DHP is similar -- in terms of the groupings of people and the benefits gained...
SB2014
The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched. --Thoreau

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 12 Dec 2013, 18:01

Lots of people (who don't participate) bad-mouth the Facebook & twitter. But like any gathering of humans, it is what you build of it yourself.
Though I can't speak for twitter, I didn't have any luck of making positive of facebook. I used it for about a period of a year, with the intentions of making friends. I did find conversation, but as far as friends went, none were made. I did make some new contacts, which always seemed to end when they realized I wasn't interested in having sex with them... :roll: Also, it seemed to bring out the worst in people I did know prior to using it. I saw people post/say all sorts of very negative or crude things they'd not typically do in person. I don't know why they felt the need to do this(perhaps because somehow the internet seems less 'real' or public), but I got sick of it and took off. I haven't regretted it, though it annoys alot of people because now they actually have to call if they want to tell me something...
Though I can see how you benefit from a smaller online group, whether its sponsered by facebook or not. It seems this way you can better sift through the type of person who you want to associate with and have an overall more positive experience, much like this site, and for me, Druidspace.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 13 Dec 2013, 12:35

I was playing Loki's advocate... Facebook and Twitter are great tools for communication and can be wonderfully life enhancing. Sadly like any tool they can be used for Ill and well as Weal.

Personally I don't use Facebook as I know my company trawls it and one bad day with too much alcohol could cost me my job, which leads onto the deeper concerns I have with Facebook particularly as it becomes more commercial. Data Mining from Social Media (aka Big Data) is the new 'big thing' amongst corporations and from a social engineering POV I have concerns. For this reason I prefer Google+ as they have at least taken the time to understand our social relationships better by creating Circles; what I share with my friends I don't want my Work colleagues or family necessarily to see.

From a parenting teenagers POV Facebook is a nightmare... all the nasty horribleness that happens at school can then continue on into the evening at the night. Often making things worse than they need be. Before Facebook young people could leave school and leave it all behind thus giving time for the storm to blow over. Facebook enables the storm to continue and grow; as people get home and feel secure and depersonalised from the situation their comments and behaviour can become more extreme. Fortunately mine have grown past those initial teenage years, although on school nights all tech is still banned early in our house (with many a night of teenager declaring it's unfair / against their human rights / trying to sneak tech into the room etc...)

As to finding friends on Social Media I think that they are an enabler for many people to connect with their 'tribe' but then the real face to face contact creates the friendships. A friend of mine's family is distrbuted all over the world and for them and their children to connect with their cousins Facebook is a brilliant tool and for maintaining friendships you already have I think it's great too. I'll admit now that my wife is the FB user and so I FB by proxy where she keeps me upto date on what various friend and family are upto. :oops:

As to Twitter it's the noise to signal ratio that is the problem - particularly with Smart phones that automatically connect and upload... No one needs to know that 'X is shopping in Y'. However sometimes it can be really, really useful and helpful in organising and connecting communities.

As to 150 Things to Worry About I say "Don't worry, be happy!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 13 Dec 2013, 18:13

I'll agree with DaRC. I don't use Facebook or other social media (long story), but friends and family do, and for them it is a valuable way of sharing information and keeping in touch. A lot of organizations use them for beneficial purposes.

Social media are like scissors, you can do something useful with them if you use them properly, or you can put an eye out. Responsible and thoughtful use is the key, and responsible and supportive supervision is important for parents.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 13 Dec 2013, 20:54

responsible and supportive supervision is important for parents.
Yes, parents should absolutely have good supervision on facebook! :-)
Kidding, of course.
Or am I...

Al Hakim
OBOD Druid

Postby Al Hakim » 13 Dec 2013, 21:43

It becomes dangerous if the virtual world replaces normal relationships. The virtual world often is more deceptive than the real one. Who can tell the difference?

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 14 Dec 2013, 19:04

Lots of people (who don't participate) bad-mouth the Facebook & twitter. But like any gathering of humans, it is what you build of it yourself.
I tend to agree Mountain Lily. I'm a long time enthusiast of new gadgets and forms of communication....embarrassed to remember what I paid for my 64k ram Tandy 1000hx computer in the late 80's...remember bulletin board systems in the early 90's.....and I remember people at every step of the way...sometimes the exact same people for decades!...saying "What good are computers when I have a perfectly sharp pencil?/who needs the internet when I can go to the library?/why use email when you can mail a letter?/why text when you can pick up the phone?, etc, etc., and often the same people whining about these new communications tools being introduced at work, then looking increasingly incompetent, then bugging co-workers to show them how to use a mouse or sign in to an account...wondering why the grand kids never telegram them...It is almost like a weird point of pride some people have....displaying their loathing, suspicion and fear of each new tech proves they are more "authentic" or something, and not just unimaginative Luddites....and now here we are having this conversation at the DHP!
:shrug:
Although I was just complaining to my wife how computer animation blows compared to stop motion, so I guess it effects us all.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Al Hakim
OBOD Druid

Postby Al Hakim » 14 Dec 2013, 21:01

I saw a tram passing by recently. All people sitting on the window side wore something in their ear with a white cable hanging down. They looked like aliens to invade the Earth at the next stop.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 14 Dec 2013, 21:16

I tend to agree Mountain Lily. I'm a long time enthusiast of new gadgets and forms of communication....embarrassed to remember what I paid for my 64k ram Tandy 1000hx computer in the late 80's...remember bulletin board systems in the early 90's.....and I remember people at every step of the way...sometimes the exact same people for decades!...saying "What good are computers when I have a perfectly sharp pencil?/who needs the internet when I can go to the library?/why use email when you can mail a letter?/why text when you can pick up the phone?, etc, etc., and often the same people whining about these new communications tools being introduced at work, then looking increasingly incompetent, then bugging co-workers to show them how to use a mouse or sign in to an account...wondering why the grand kids never telegram them...It is almost like a weird point of pride some people have....displaying their loathing, suspicion and fear of each new tech proves they are more "authentic" or something, and not just unimaginative Luddites....and now here we are having this conversation at the DHP!
:shrug:
Although I was just complaining to my wife how computer animation blows compared to stop motion, so I guess it effects us all.
I think sometimes more than just pride there are practical reasons to become frustrated when technology accelerates a bit faster than one would like. A big one is cost. I get moaned and whined at alot because I don't have text. True, I don't care for the service. But, even if I did, that's an extra cost on my phone bill. As I live paycheck to paycheck, I'd rather save the cash for gas or groceries. Computer bills and internet are also costly. Buying a computer that would run alot of the higher frequented websites would cost a pretty penny(its hard enough to run the DHP), and a monthly internet bill isn't possible. Currently, we're borrowing internet from someone who doesn't take the time to secure their signal... :whistle: I speak of my own situation, but I know I can't be the only one out there.
Another reason I could see would be anger at something you worked hard on now being useless. The CD collection you built(shame they don't preserve as well as records), the computer you put so much time into building, these phones people spend so much on then have go out of date a year later...that's gotta be really annoying!
There are alot of good things one can say about technology(especially looking at the medical field), its just a shame when people get alienated because of it.

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”