Atheists & Secular Religious people are on the same side

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Atheists & Secular Religious people are on the same side

Postby Davin Raincloud » 04 Jun 2014, 01:46

Often, in the current culture war, the two sides are painted as the brave science loving Atheist against the fundamentalist religious person. I fight this framing to be nonsense, regardless of what side it's coming from.

I believe strongly in secularism, and I've never approached science with anything other than respect. I feel science requires no belief. I was educated at a Catholic School and taught History maths and science (including evolution), and didn't think anything of it, other than to respect the pursuit of knowledge. My family were agnostic at best, but probably functioning Atheists.

My religious journey has pulsated through monotheism, atheism, polytheism, and pantheism. All during that time, my belief in secularism and respect for science never changed.

For example, being a Christians, I never doubted gravity existed, and being Atheism did not change my appreciation for gravity (Still afraid of heights).

To me, a society functions best when people are free to believe what they want. I don't ask for my car mechanic to do a shamanic journey to commune with the spirit of my car's engine, so I don't need your opinion on God or a lack of God, when I use a government service.

Does anyone else feel this way?

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Atheists & Secular Religious people are on the same side

Postby DaRC » 05 Jun 2014, 13:49

I agree but would probably word it another way... that there are two mindsets:

1) the fundamentalist - which could be termed the 'closed mind' as it only contains the accepted wisdom of their tribal group. The tribale group could be any religious or secular one, I've met fundamentalist atheists!

2) the moderate - which could be termed the 'open mind' as they accept there is or maybe knowledge/wisdom extrinsic to their tribal group.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 05 Jun 2014, 20:04

I agree but would probably word it another way... that there are two mindsets:
1) the fundamentalist - which could be termed the 'closed mind' as it only contains the accepted wisdom of their tribal group. The tribale group could be any religious or secular one, I've met fundamentalist atheists!
2) the moderate - which could be termed the 'open mind' as they accept there is or maybe knowledge/wisdom extrinsic to their tribal group.
Yes I agree too, and there are lots of ways of looking at the two sorts of viewpoint, closed/open, secure/afraid, exploratory/in a rut , free thinking/dogmatic, outward looking/afraid, free/enslaved to suggest a few. :whistle:
Often, in the current culture war, the two sides are painted as the brave science loving Atheist against the fundamentalist religious person. I fight this framing to be nonsense, regardless of what side it's coming from.
Totally. There are plenty of Druidic scientists and science loving people, I'm one. The important thing is truth, philosophical, scientific and phenomenological. Some science is truth, some is badly done science and is er... not truth. Some spiritual ideas seem to me to be truth and some are ..um.. not right for me. :grin:
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 05 Jun 2014, 22:03

I want to know why its always got to be science OR religion. Can't a scientist be religious, too? Or a religious person acknowledge and enjoy the findings of science? It kind of seems a disservice is done to both groups to assume its always one or the other...

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 06 Jun 2014, 17:24

I want to know why its always got to be science OR religion. Can't a scientist be religious, too? Or a religious person acknowledge and enjoy the findings of science? It kind of seems a disservice is done to both groups to assume its always one or the other...
It doesn't have to be, and many scientists are just as religious as the general populace. Francis Collins (Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH)) made a lot of noise about his Christian beliefs.

The real problem is an excess of binary thinking, it's A or B, you're with us or against us. This is what leads to extremism, including the appearance of an atheist Taliban that will not rest until it has stamped the last residue of magic and wonder out of our lives. The truth is that science is about magic and wonder, and the true goal of the scientist is development and expansion of the mind through discovery, not about making Nature something less that can be fitted into a small mind.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”