walking gingerly around the spirits

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
druidinthemist

walking gingerly around the spirits

Postby druidinthemist » 08 Jun 2014, 13:17

the most difficult thing i find about being a druid is interpretation of events. there are no writings directed at spirits. can a druid take a shaman's voyage to hell. is it hell he finds himself in. if so what does hell mean if not for a fiery place of suffering. or is this the underworld, and what is the underworld. when i was in a holy place. and this has been the most confusing and painful place i have yet to be visited upon, i saw the christ. why. what is the meaning of this. i find myself with a myriad experiences and as many interpretations of these events. i saw the green man and he was a terrifying character. another writer here saw a more passive green man. mu grandmother, cousin and myself have the sacred crow as our spirit animal guide. do all hereditary druids have the crow as their guardian. i hope we can get a dialogue regarding this matter. druidinthemist

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Re: walking gingerly around the spirits

Postby Sciethe » 08 Jun 2014, 17:17

Hi druidinthemist,
that's lot of questions! Two I can comment on to start with.
the most difficult thing i find about being a druid is interpretation of events. do all hereditary druids have the crow as their guardian.
Others will have more to say on these subjects I'm sure.
There is no concrete set form for interpretation of "events" as such. Discussion may throw up commonalities between your experience and the experience of others, and differences too, both of which are often revealing. Interpretation of otherworld experience is, in the final analysis, fundamentally phenomenological; that is to say it is your experience alone, and your personal truth, and your road to travel in understanding what you have been given. This is not to say that discussion can't help!

Your Green Man is interesting because you saw a revealed deity: a being that could overwhelm you. Fear is a typical response, you wouldn't be human if you were not afraid of this. That doesn't mean that what you saw is bad, just that it needs approaching with caution, and that is where ritual comes in. Sometimes ritual is used for establishing contact with such forces, but it can also be used to water them down to the point where useful dialogue can take place and you can progress. The OBOD teaching material contains the necessary elements for learning to build such a ritual and preparing the self for it.

The Crow is not an essential part of being an hereditary Druid. The individual I know of has no animal guardian at all, but a lunar dedication.

Hope that's a good start!
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

druidinthemist

Re: walking gingerly around the spirits

Postby druidinthemist » 09 Jun 2014, 12:41

thanks for your comments S. i guess what triggered this string is the experiences between my cousin Mark, and myself. both of us were awakened by spiritual experiences with religious overtones. I took to nonreligious themes with all i had read about shaman and he turned to the religious requesting my grandmother's bible. He took to reading it daily . my grandmother it is said read the large tome four-five times. when mark found out he couldn't follow our path he dropped everything druid and returned the bible to my mother. so in effect he dropped everything. i do not know the specifics of his spiritual experiences other than he had i a roundabout way found out he was a druid, and that he had told his family a lot about my grandmother and himself. telling our family such things about my grandmother is tantamount to suicide. he never went to university or college, he never read up on shamanism or other spirituality. he didn't have or create support groups. He didn't have a strong base on which to build himself. he had that spiritual visitation that led him to knowledge of the Christ. and i think he misinterpreted that. druidinthemist

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”