Topics to be Unleashed!

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Azrienoch

Topics to be Unleashed!

Postby Azrienoch » 07 Nov 2004, 07:45

Hey, I thought I'd compose a list of various topics that could be discussed. Of course, this list is by no means the end-all, be-all, but instead a guide, or an inspiration for finding another topic.
Pick out one from the list, or find one on your own, and write a thorough review of the subject. Show us what you've got!

Self-help weekend retreats and seminars
Genetically engineered foods
The Oil Crisis
Popular Diets
The science of Feng Shui
Mediums
Sugar replacements
Mind over matter: The placebo effect
The marketing techniques of Wal-Mart
Alien abductions and crop circles
Nostradamus and other profits (excuse me. I meant prophets) and their prophecies
Astrology: Science or superstition?
Did OJ do it?

Here's some that have already been covered, and you're welcome to add your thoughts to them:

Second-hand smoke
The necessity of Faith
The existence of paranormal activity

Add some of your own!

EarthBard

Postby EarthBard » 07 Nov 2004, 08:25

Thanks for that inspiration, good ideas

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Re: Topics to be Unleashed!

Postby Lily » 07 Nov 2004, 13:25

Some more topics from moi
  • Magic (partly covered already)
    Cult dangers
    Conspiracy theories
    Alternative treatments
    The benefit of organic farming/food
    The benefit of Vegetarianism, Veganism
    Crystals
    Food supplements

and finally....
    Is my (positive) attitude towards "real science" biased?
of course OJ did it.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Tanglewood
OBOD Bard

Postby Tanglewood » 08 Apr 2008, 20:16

....well?.....

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 09 Apr 2008, 17:21

Just do it.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

vivian
OBOD Druid

Postby vivian » 23 Apr 2009, 09:20

What about..."the utility of this Message Board"?

:innocent:

Melhael
OBOD Bard

Postby Melhael » 25 May 2009, 22:49

Genetically engineered foods
This is one tasty subject. :)

However, we have been eating genetically modified animals and plants for centuries. So I'm not sure this is still current issues. :deadhorse:

OrthoClaseFeldspar

Postby OrthoClaseFeldspar » 09 Apr 2010, 06:20

O.K I'm gona run with the subject of Faith. Having Faith in the seen and unseen for me is too cozy to the x-tian model. As what could be I'm mostly annimism...so by necessity I have faith in the seen and unseen. Disturbingly, it's a common precept in the church.
So the choice I live with is closer than the 6 degree's'of seperation, which to me was an unsettling thought.

Comments, anyone? :boggle:
Support Bacteria, It's the only Culture some people have- Stephan Wright

wolf560

Postby wolf560 » 28 Sep 2010, 18:15

Hello,

Faith- a belief not based upon proof.
Disturbingly, it's a common precept in the church.
To me this is a basic foundation of whatever spiritual path anyone finds themselves on.
Although it may be a foundation of the Christian Church, I see it as a common denominator in any faith-based belief system. Everyone wants to feel that they are on the 'right path'... and they place a great deal of 'Faith' upon that decision.

I see this not as a bad thing but as 'proof of concept' ...
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 28 Sep 2010, 18:29

Hello,

Faith- a belief not based upon proof.
Disturbingly, it's a common precept in the church.
To me this is a basic foundation of whatever spiritual path anyone finds themselves on.
interesting..to me "faith" is a primary stumbling block..rusty chains, if you will...that keeps a person from realizing their spiritual potential and mired in darkness...probably off topic for this particualar thread, though..maybe start another?
Last edited by DJ Droood on 28 Sep 2010, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

cat
OBOD Bard

Postby cat » 28 Sep 2010, 18:30

humm

what is faith?

The being on the right path thing i find quiet negative! cause if i'm /we are on the right path that means that they are wrong path.
So therefore a confict of ideas (i'm right your wrong we do the right thing you do it wrong ect )
I like to think in terms of many paths lead to the same destination.
Or there are many ways up the same mountain.

is that Faith

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 28 Sep 2010, 18:35

humm

what is faith?
"faith" is what gives people the delusion that "all opinions are equal" and "only just different words" and forces school kids in ignorant backwaters to have textbooks that give equal time to "Creationism" and "Evolution" (just different theories!)...thus insuring those communities continue in ignorance and backwaterness...(great business strategy for the politicians and preachers though.) You hear this attitude a lot from latent Christians who, like the Borg, want to subsume all ideas into their "everything leads to the one same god" mentality. These people still take real-world cars to work, however, instead of flying on a tamed pegasus..although I don't know why..they are just different modes of transportation that lead to the same place! (people practicing druid spirituality would probably prefer a bicycle.)

Great topic..I think it should be hived off into another thread, though.
Last edited by DJ Droood on 28 Sep 2010, 19:16, edited 2 times in total.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Melhael
OBOD Bard

Postby Melhael » 28 Sep 2010, 18:54

To me [faith] is a basic foundation of whatever spiritual path anyone finds themselves on.
Not necessarily. I'm speaking for myself here, but I would define the basis of my spirituality as a healthy mixture of creativity and celebration. I try to bring new cool things into the universe and I rejoice in/celebrate said universe, as it is (i.e. as revealed by a) science and b) my perceptions, which might be in contradiction with science at times but are not worthless still).

I have faith, though. Faith is the thing that keeps me going: without faith I wouldn't be able to get up in the morning and write. I wouldn't be able to entertain the hope than some day I'll be an author. That's the faith I place in myself, in the notion hard work is always rewarded in the end and in empowerment as a tool for success.

That reminds me of the Sindarin word "estel" in Tolkien's elvish languages (I'm a Tolkien geek ;)). He translates it as "faith" and points out that it also, to some extent, covers the notion of "hope". I'd say that pretty much describes what "faith" is to me: a mixture of hope, self-esteem and a useful tinge of denial. ;)

That's how, even though I'm a Naturalist Druid, I can say things like "I have faith in my destiny", because that translates as "I trust that I can achieve the goals I've set for myself". :)

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 28 Sep 2010, 18:59

I have faith, though. Faith is the thing that keeps me going: without faith I wouldn't be able to get up in the morning and write. I wouldn't be able to entertain the hope than some day I'll be an author. That's the faith I place in myself, in the notion hard work is always rewarded in the end and in empowerment as a tool for success.
That is a good way to frame it...I was thinking too narrowly, in the way "faith" is usually used by Christians....it is good to reclaim words. "Spirituality" is another word that needs to be rescued.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

cat
OBOD Bard

Postby cat » 28 Sep 2010, 20:05

Yup

Faith = God ?

In my opionon weather you belive in gods godeses devine beinges ect can mean you have faith but the word faith on its own means little it depends on the context its used in and the person saying it.

I have faith in myself when i used to rock climb is that not faith.

faith=ablity?
faith=the void

I see faith as a word which determins what decide to belive in be that regiously, scientifically or logically. some things cant be explained thus faith can sometime try too it's just how its applied that makes the diffrence. I sit on the fence :???:

cat
OBOD Bard

Postby cat » 28 Sep 2010, 20:30

topic continued in seperat thread now

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”