Orkney (UK)

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Orkney (UK)

Postby Heddwen » 03 Jan 2017, 11:42

Last night I watched this programme on BBC2. It was utterly fascinating and had me spellbound with revelations leading to the possible conclusion that Orkney was a 'capital city' or at least a very important place for Neolithic people.

Here's the link to episode 1 ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-1

Enjoy!

malcolmb
OBOD Ovate

Re: Orkney (UK)

Postby malcolmb » 03 Jan 2017, 15:35

It certainly was fascinating, particularly the history of the Orkney vole. My only slight reservation is that I can never watch Mr Oliver without having the feeling that he is pushing the claymore yet another inch deeper into the gizzard of the dreadful English. There are many things that the Scots gifted to the World and now they seem to also include stone circles and even civilisation itself. Perhaps he is right. Perhaps. :wink:
Peaceful Earth Grove: http://www.peacefulearthgrove.com/

My original "Druid Music" CDs (all proceeds to the charity "Pagan Aid":
https://lylemusic.bandcamp.com/

My original Celtic / Folk / Jazz music at:
http://www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
http://www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
http://www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic

“So many Gods, so many creeds, so many paths that wind and wind. While just the art of being kind, is all the sad world needs.” Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 03 Jan 2017, 17:35

I agree with you to a point. It was mentioned in the programme that the further north you go, the older these sacred sites are. The sites shown last night were thought to be 5000 years old. That would put them in the begining of the Neolithic period. I was amazed at their feats of engineering for that time. And yes, the vole was an eyeopener. Neil Oliver is definately very pro modern day Celt (if there is such a thing) and he is , of course the 'thinking womans crumpet' :grin: self styled, maybe. Seriously though, I didn't pick up on any anti English sentiments...perhaps I missed something!

I haven't been to Orkney yet but I would love to go there - the nearest I've been is to the Callanish stone circle about 10 years ago. Definately on my bucket list

malcolmb
OBOD Ovate

Postby malcolmb » 04 Jan 2017, 15:31

Heddwen wrote:he is , of course the 'thinking womans crumpet' :grin: self styled, maybe.

Really?! Far be it for me to question what any woman thinks :duck: but I would have thought there were more munchable alternatives for the home-made jam! :grin:

I do find the whole Neolithic period fascinating. With the UK land link to Europe only disappearing around 8,000 years ago (which would have made life a lot easier for the Vole!), it is intriguing that people from Belgium chose to bypass England and Scotland and settle in the Orkneys. A sea passage of that distance 5,000 years ago must have been quite an undertaking although certainly archeology is indicating that such passages were not uncommon in Europe and indeed across the World. We do tend to think that communications is a modern invention but clearly there was a sophisticated trade network in the Neolithic World for not only goods but also ideas so I can easily imagine how the new ideas from the Orkney Islands spread south. In my wanderings on the net, I did see a set of Ikea instructions for building Stone Henge. Clearly those settlers in the Orkney Islands were better at giving instructions than we are today! :shrug:

“So many Gods, so many creeds, so many paths that wind and wind. While just the art of being kind, is all the sad world needs.” Ella Wheeler Wilcox

malcolmb
OBOD Ovate

Postby malcolmb » 04 Jan 2017, 15:35

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 05 Jan 2017, 13:33

Haha! Perhaps the Swedish 'invented' henges! :-)

DaRC
Site Admin

Postby DaRC » 06 Jan 2017, 01:05

Thanks :applause: really enjoyed that although like Malcolmb Mr Oliver's style irks me :whistle:
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

BEACH AND BEAR

Postby BEACH AND BEAR » 08 Jan 2017, 16:47

Persecution, and religious, or idealistic death, due to invasion from Roman Armies, obviously was a strong encouragement in the migration pattern of the Gauls, Germans, Dutch, and the residents of the then Belgium. To move a little further North into Britain, and Scotland, and Wales, wasn't an option for some peoples, trying to get away from the terrorism, that the Roman Empire brought with it. The move to the ORKNEY's, was a good strategic choice, based on the geographical nature of what lay between, as a BUFFER, as it were, from the invaders, that obviously worked, as contact between the Romans, and the people of the Orkney's, if at all, was very limited.The fact that the journey would have been one of tremendous hardships, was probably over ridden by the thought of being able to think for themselves, and retain the freedoms that were THEM. Unfortunately, we here in Canada, cant get the BBC2 programming, due to copy rights in the UK, but, why couldn't the Stone circles have started in the Orkney's?, or for that matter in Iceland, or even Greenland, or have been a continuation of the INUKSHUK rock formations of the Eskimo cultures of the Northern Hemispheres of the world. Just because there is an abundance of something, in a close geographical area of the world, means only that it was adopted and expanded upon in that area, by the people of the time, to suit their beliefs, not that it started there. There is a perfect stone circle in the northern most part of the Province where I reside, it is however, not man made, but a Glacial melt funnel that deposited the rocks there millions of years ago, but still a circle. The rocks are not of the magnitude of the circles of Europe, but they are a perfect circle. We all want to believe that we, the people of certain geographical locations, and demo graphical cultures, have given to the World, something unique to proclaim as our contribution to the Enlightenment of the masses, but, sometimes all it was, was the work of a Mad Man, who's thoughts and inspirations were his own, that required doing, until his soul, was at ease with his thoughts, and then adopted, by the rest, as correct for the time, and beliefs of the age. WITH RESPECT FOR ALL, BEACH AND BEAR.
If you take something of value from a man,, you must replace it with something of value, R Ruark:

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 09 Jan 2017, 12:14

Thank you for the additional information BEACH AND BEAR. So sorry that you can't watch it ...maybe it will appear on You Tube in the near future :)

Neil Oliver has always been a bit of the 'housewives favourite', perhaps its the hair :grin: :wink: :oops:

BEACH AND BEAR

Postby BEACH AND BEAR » 09 Jan 2017, 19:00

It has become painfully obvious to me now, that that is why I am NOT a [ housewives favorite], as I have been described as being follicaly challenged. The tern Bald being banned from my dictionary. I once had, Waves, now only the BEACH remains. My comments were not designed for, or submitted to, irritate, or anger anyone, they are just MY thoughts on the Stones of the World. One never has to be bitten by a Bear, to understand that they have the potential for danger, neither does one have to touch the Stones, to realize their importance to mankind, and what they bring to those that believe. I must admit that I am Vertically challenged, Follicaly challenged, and Computer challenged, so I am going to have to probably change my grove name to DELBERT the DUMB DWARF, we will go with DTDD, for short, as it were, and apologize to all Tolkien folks. For every individual, the STONES hold a different feeling, need, and message, that is their own to follow to wherever it takes them. A collective mind, leads only to the demise of the collective. Your beliefs are what ever you accept, as being pertinent to the expansion of your MIND, and SOUL, and yours alone. That is the beauty of all LIFE. If I have offended anyone, it was not my intent, my input was only to spur open thought about the beauty and wonder of, POSSIBILITIES, without which, life recedes into the realm of quite acceptance, without questioning, and mundane souls. WITH RESPECT FOR ALL,BEACH AND BEAR, alias DTDD.
If you take something of value from a man,, you must replace it with something of value, R Ruark:

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 09 Jan 2017, 19:13

Oh no, BEACH AND BEAR, no offence taken or given. I was just jesting about the presenters hair - he does like to flick it around somewhat! Anyway, I'm happen to be married to a follicly challenged man - no contest!

By the way, I checked You Tube and no sign of it yet, but will keep my eyes peeled. It should be put up soon I hope :)

BEACH AND BEAR

Postby BEACH AND BEAR » 09 Jan 2017, 23:01

AHHH, a smooth skinned man lover. Lucky Hubby, haha. Thanks Heddwen, most appreciated. DTDD, WITH RESPECT FOR ALL, BEACH AND BEAR.

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 10 Jan 2017, 09:02

BEACH AND BEAR wrote:Just because there is an abundance of something, in a close geographical area of the world, means only that it was adopted and expanded upon in that area, by the people of the time, to suit their beliefs, not that it started there.

Well indeed. The wonderful thing about the programme - which I hope you'll enjoy watching when it becomes available - is that there was a considerable amount of interdisciplinary science brought to bear on the theory that Brodgar is the oldest European stone circle. It wasn't simply that there are lots of them in a given geographical area.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 10 Jan 2017, 19:49

BEACH AND BEAR wrote:AHHH, a smooth skinned man lover. Lucky Hubby, haha. Thanks Heddwen, most appreciated. DTDD, WITH RESPECT FOR ALL, BEACH AND BEAR.

You're very welcome :shake:

BEACH AND BEAR

Postby BEACH AND BEAR » 11 Jan 2017, 17:59

Well indeed xidia, and I obviously ruffled your patriotic feathers, which was not my intentions. I believe that all the circles, no matter when they were erected, or by whom, are the precursors to the litany of Churches that were to follow, all over the world, in every little town, village, and hamlet, throughout the length and breadth of Europe and the New World, because of the travel restrictions, and the different beliefs, resulting in religious persecution, imposed upon the local residents, or immigrants, at that time. Most of the followers had to walk. It was better not to have to travel long distances of the countryside, in inclement weather, and risk possible robbery, or death at the hands of other, NON-BELIEVERS, as it were, so smaller Circles would be erected to celebrate all the seasons, in your own Bailiwick. The fact that, in the US, in some of the cities now, you can find a Baptist, or Catholic church, every three or four miles, and sometimes closer, that were erected to facilitate the parishioners, that had to walk to service, before horse drawn vehicles were so abundant, only solidify's my own thoughts on WHY there were so many Stone Circles erected. Just a matter of protection and preservation for the followers of the order, and continuation of the tenet. The progression from open air Megalithic structures, to Churches, was just an easy step of closing in the walls, and incorporating a roof, which went a long way to keeping everyone warm and dry, but also a bastion, to start the collection of sacred artifacts, to venerate when needed, and the protection of the same. Pride of ownership, and patriotism, of who, or what they were designed for, is rather a moot point, as even today nothing positive has been put forth that all Sciences have agreed upon. The enjoyment, is in the fact that they exist, and are available for great speculation, and enjoyment, however you view them. If you start looking at them as objects of proof of heredity, and wisdom, you are already traveling down a road, that has been taken by all the faiths of the world, about who's religious ideals foster the favor of the GODS, and why there are so many of them. My intention, in stating all this, is simply based on my beliefs, and speculations, as to the wonder, and beauty, of these Megalithic Structures, not the timeline, or builders. Just enjoy them in whatever capacity you desire. That's called freedom of thought, and expression, which to me, was why they were erected in the first place. WITH RESPECT FOR ALL,BEACH AND BEAR

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 11 Jan 2017, 22:08

*shrug*

It's not my patriotic feathers you ruffled but my belief in the value of science to shed light on ancient history.

I find it interesting in the academic sense (as in theoretical) to know how and why and where and when things originated without being attached to any other outcome other than "the most likely, as currently knowledge allows".

You said "If you start looking at them as objects of proof of heredity, and wisdom, you are already traveling down a road, that has been taken by all the faiths of the world, about who's religious ideals foster the favor of the GODS, and why there are so many of them."

Please don't make assumptions about my motives. As I've just described, they are nothing like what you have written here, which unfortunately seems to have informed your entire response to me.

BEACH AND BEAR

Postby BEACH AND BEAR » 12 Jan 2017, 15:31

My responses will now discontinue, my intentions, as stated, are strictly from the standpoint of What IF, as yours seem to be. Have a great day, WITH RESPECT FOR ALL, BEACH AND BEAR.

AshRocks
OBOD Bard

Postby AshRocks » 25 Jan 2017, 03:28

A "must see" if you can is Mainland Orkney: in particular the expansive neolithic stone circle at Ring of Brodgar and Standing Stones of Stennes, ancient "condo" dwellings at Skara Brae, and the Maes Howe passage tomb. It's a wonderful place to connect with this ancient pagan land. Here are a few photos from my May 2016 visit to hopefully inspire you to visit too!
Attachments
IMG_6232.JPG
Skara Brae
IMG_6232.JPG (8.65 MiB) Viewed 237 times
IMG_6189.JPG
Ring of Brodgar
IMG_6189.JPG (6.59 MiB) Viewed 237 times
IMG_6169.JPG
Standing Stones of Stennes
IMG_6169.JPG (5.54 MiB) Viewed 237 times
:nuin: :trilithon:Image Image 2017 IL

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 25 Jan 2017, 11:22

The documentary and your pictures, Ashrocks have certainly whetted my appetite for a little trip to the Orkneys. I can certainly feel an expedition coming on !

Blessings,

Heddwen. :)

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 25 Jan 2017, 12:38

Return to “The Hearthfire”