INTRoDucTIONS: How old are you and where do you live...? Con

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
Runefang
OBOD Bard

Re: INTRoDucTIONS: How old are you and where do you live...? Con

Postby Runefang » 23 Sep 2017, 21:10

Thank you for the welcomes. I'll have a look at the links and see if I can make it work. :anx:

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 23 Sep 2017, 21:47

Thank you for the welcomes. I'll have a look at the links and see if I can make it work. :anx:
No worries :shake: Give us a shout if you get stuck :)

NamkhaRiver
OBOD Bard

Postby NamkhaRiver » 25 Sep 2017, 06:43

Hello All,

I'm a new member and have started the Bardic course.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been in this area for almost 30 years, though I'm a native New Yorker who got to my Northern California homeland by brief but happy way of Boulder, Colorado.

I'm adopting the forum handle of Namkha River, which is the Anglicized version of my Buddhist refuge name (well, one of them), nam-mkha', ནམ་མཁའ་, Tibetan for space, or sky. The Sanskrit word is Akaasha. The River part is because there are many Rivers that I love and which inspire me. :-)

I've practiced Buddhism, my primary practice, on and off since I was 13 (almost 40 years). Right now, I'm commitedly "on." I've also studied Core Shamanism (Harner method), and am quite interested in the different ways that exploring and changing our consciousnesses can lead to spiritual depth, growth and maturity. I'm not trying to combine any of these practices, but to practice them more or less as they are taught by sages and masters, leaving them in their place and getting out of the way.

I'm still not entirely sure what I am doing in Druidry, except to say that I am a great lover of plants, both wild and cultivated, and have since my 20s been interested in pagan/nature spirituality. I was drawn to this, so I will see where it leads. I appreciate OBOD's universalist orientation. Though trained in the history of religions (and a former academic seminarian in the also-universalist Unitarian Universalist tradition), I'm no longer as passionately interested in the academic and philosophical as I was in my 20s and 30s (though also not averse to it). I am approaching Druidry as a way of being in community with like minded people, as a way of ritually marking time and the seasons and in this way becoming more appreciative of my life, being grateful for earth, sea and sky, observing and being intimate with nature, and practicing acceptance of the apparent world with great affection.

Many thanks and nice to meet you all,
Namkha
~~~ Namkha River ~~~

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 25 Sep 2017, 08:43

Hello All,

I'm a new member and have started the Bardic course.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been in this area for almost 30 years, though I'm a native New Yorker who got to my Northern California homeland by brief but happy way of Boulder, Colorado.

I'm adopting the forum handle of Namkha River, which is the Anglicized version of my Buddhist refuge name (well, one of them), nam-mkha', ནམ་མཁའ་, Tibetan for space, or sky. The Sanskrit word is Akaasha. The River part is because there are many Rivers that I love and which inspire me. :-)

I've practiced Buddhism, my primary practice, on and off since I was 13 (almost 40 years). Right now, I'm commitedly "on." I've also studied Core Shamanism (Harner method), and am quite interested in the different ways that exploring and changing our consciousnesses can lead to spiritual depth, growth and maturity. I'm not trying to combine any of these practices, but to practice them more or less as they are taught by sages and masters, leaving them in their place and getting out of the way.

I'm still not entirely sure what I am doing in Druidry, except to say that I am a great lover of plants, both wild and cultivated, and have since my 20s been interested in pagan/nature spirituality. I was drawn to this, so I will see where it leads. I appreciate OBOD's universalist orientation. Though trained in the history of religions (and a former academic seminarian in the also-universalist Unitarian Universalist tradition), I'm no longer as passionately interested in the academic and philosophical as I was in my 20s and 30s (though also not averse to it). I am approaching Druidry as a way of being in community with like minded people, as a way of ritually marking time and the seasons and in this way becoming more appreciative of my life, being grateful for earth, sea and sky, observing and being intimate with nature, and practicing acceptance of the apparent world with great affection.

Many thanks and nice to meet you all,
Namkha
Welcome here, Namkha. :) That's a beautiful name.

Please do make yourself comfy and at home here. You can find some further resources about OBOD and such like just here...viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46165

There's also a Members Only section of this board that you can join by following this link...viewtopic.php?f=345&p=483092#p483092
There you'll find your way to all things Bardic.There's some lovely discussions which you can join in with, if you so wish.

If you have any questions, then please do ask...we're here to help. :)

Bye for now,

Heddwen. :D

Kasandra
OBOD Bard

Postby Kasandra » 25 Sep 2017, 23:00

Hello, my name is Kasandra, I'm 34, and live in North Dakota USA. I have no idea how to use a forum, so be patient with me. :D
I grew up Catholic in a predominantly Christian area, but always was the odd one who was fascinated with ancient and medieval history, stories, natural healing, and believed there was more magic in the world that I was taught to believe. 4 years ago I had a life changing situation and found myself looking for spirituality. I dabbled in Taoism, did a lot of yoga, became interested in various "new agey" stuff. I realized I was a pagan and then started looking for ways to incorporate that, but nothing felt right. Then I was reading Juliet Marilier's Daughter of the Forest and kept thinking how much I loved it and felt like I was born in the wrong era (but also believed in reincarnation, so it wasn't that much of a stretch). I have always been fascinated with storytelling and have become obsessed with herbal healing. So, I looked up her profile on Amazon and saw she was an OBOD member and looked up OBOD. I was on a trip into the forest by myself to find the answer to a life changing question (and yes, on my phone...) and as I read about OBOD, I felt like I had stumbled upon what I was looking for. I had downloaded the first episode of Druidcast later that day for my long ride back, and decided I would take the leap with my life changing opportunity. That was last August and since then I have found Druidcast is a comfort and a pleasure to listen too. I have a system where I am listen to every episode from whatever month I am in and have nearly heard them all. It really felt like coming home. Now I just joined OBOD and am so excited to be here!

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 26 Sep 2017, 10:17

Hello, my name is Kasandra, I'm 34, and live in North Dakota USA. I have no idea how to use a forum, so be patient with me. :D
I grew up Catholic in a predominantly Christian area, but always was the odd one who was fascinated with ancient and medieval history, stories, natural healing, and believed there was more magic in the world that I was taught to believe. 4 years ago I had a life changing situation and found myself looking for spirituality. I dabbled in Taoism, did a lot of yoga, became interested in various "new agey" stuff. I realized I was a pagan and then started looking for ways to incorporate that, but nothing felt right. Then I was reading Juliet Marilier's Daughter of the Forest and kept thinking how much I loved it and felt like I was born in the wrong era (but also believed in reincarnation, so it wasn't that much of a stretch). I have always been fascinated with storytelling and have become obsessed with herbal healing. So, I looked up her profile on Amazon and saw she was an OBOD member and looked up OBOD. I was on a trip into the forest by myself to find the answer to a life changing question (and yes, on my phone...) and as I read about OBOD, I felt like I had stumbled upon what I was looking for. I had downloaded the first episode of Druidcast later that day for my long ride back, and decided I would take the leap with my life changing opportunity. That was last August and since then I have found Druidcast is a comfort and a pleasure to listen too. I have a system where I am listen to every episode from whatever month I am in and have nearly heard them all. It really felt like coming home. Now I just joined OBOD and am so excited to be here!
Hi Kasandra, we're excited that you're here too. Welcome home! :shake:

PLease have a good look at this useful link which will give you further resources about OBOD druidry....viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46165

and there's a Members Only section of these forums where you can join in discussions of all things Bardic. Here's the link...viewtopic.php?f=345&p=483092#p483092 Please note that there will be some changes taking place on November 1st so be sure to sign up soon :wink:

Any questions then ask away, we're happy to help. :)

With many Blessings,

Narmo
OBOD Bard

Postby Narmo » 02 Oct 2017, 20:22

Hello!

I'm Susan, my forum nickname means "wolf" (in one of Tolkien's elvish languages). I'm from Poland, was living for a longer part of my life in the small cottage in the mountains and like nature since then. I'm sort of pagan but couldn't find my path until I read description of druidism on OBOD page, especially Ovate part of it. I'm feeling sort of disconnected from most of modern world and people so hope so here I find my place and tribe ^.^
I like wood carving, chinese martial arts (recently definitely more of tai chi sort so there is work with energy flow and feeling) and since last year I'm very interested in ecology, deep ecology and I'm trying to find my place in ecoactivism. In this moment I'm not an OBOD member, but if everything go as planed tomorrow I will send a registration form and hopefully become one in this month.

Greetings to you all :)

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Postby Michael C. Page » 02 Oct 2017, 20:40

Hello!

I'm Susan, my forum nickname means "wolf" (in one of Tolkien's elvish languages). I'm from Poland, was living for a longer part of my life in the small cottage in the mountains and like nature since then. I'm sort of pagan but couldn't find my path until I read description of druidism on OBOD page, especially Ovate part of it. I'm feeling sort of disconnected from most of modern world and people so hope so here I find my place and tribe ^.^
I like wood carving, chinese martial arts (recently definitely more of tai chi sort so there is work with energy flow and feeling) and since last year I'm very interested in ecology, deep ecology and I'm trying to find my place in ecoactivism. In this moment I'm not an OBOD member, but if everything go as planed tomorrow I will send a registration form and hopefully become one in this month.

Greetings to you all :)
Hello Susan :hiya: Welcome to the OBOD Forums :shake:

I'm glad you're registering for the course. |-) and I wish you all the very best. :awen: When you do receive your packet, just come back to the Forum and follow these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=345&p=483092#p483092

That way we don't lose you on November 1st. :where: :)

Michael :tiphat:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 02 Oct 2017, 21:14

Hi Susan, welcome here :)

flyingtadpole
OBOD Bard

Postby flyingtadpole » 03 Oct 2017, 16:22

Hello!
My name is Archer and I've just recently become a member of OBOD.
Been following a pagan path for a while now. I'm looking forward to diving into the Druid side of things.

I'm 24, and currently live in Chicago, IL.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 03 Oct 2017, 16:35

Hello!
Been following a pagan path for a while now. I'm looking forward to diving into the Druid side of things.

Hi Archer, a warm welcome to you. :)

There will be some changes ahead on the Forums on November 1st, we will be going Members Only at that point in time. Here's a link that will help you if you are thinking of signing up to the course and Order... viewtopic.php?f=345&p=483092#p483092

There's also some additional resources about us here... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46165

Any questions then do ask away. :D

with many Blessings,

Heddwen :awen:

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Postby Michael C. Page » 03 Oct 2017, 20:07

Hello!

Hi Archer, a warm welcome to you. :)

There will be some changes ahead on the Forums on November 1st, we will be going Members Only at that point in time. Here's a link that will help you if you are thinking of signing up to the course and Order... viewtopic.php?f=345&p=483092#p483092

There's also some additional resources about us here... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46165

Any questions then do ask away. :D

with many Blessings,

Heddwen :awen:
Hello Archer :shake: Welcome to the OBOD Forum |-)

And Yes, please follow Heddwen's instuctions: viewtopic.php?f=345&p=483092#p483092 so we don't lose you on November 1st. :where: :grin:

Cheers,
Michael

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

Pippin3
OBOD Bard

Postby Pippin3 » 04 Oct 2017, 22:17

Hi, I M 66 years old and live in northern Florida, USA. I have wanted to join the OBOD since I found this website several years ago. I've just begun the Bard course. I feel as if I've come home.

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 05 Oct 2017, 00:15

Welcome, Pippin, from a fellow Gulf-coaster! :hiya: I know the feeling of coming home...exactly the way I felt when I discovered OBOD. :)

We'd love to have you join us for the OBOD Gulf Coast Gathering 2018 to be held in March on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana--our special guest will be the Chosen Chief, Philip Carr-Gomm! Be sure to request access to the Bards forum so you can see all the good stuff in here!
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 05 Oct 2017, 07:58

Hi, I M 66 years old and live in northern Florida, USA. I have wanted to join the OBOD since I found this website several years ago. I've just begun the Bard course. I feel as if I've come home.
Hi Pippin...and here's how you access the Bardic Forums! Just follow this link... viewtopic.php?f=345&p=483092#p483092 as you will see, changes are afoot here on November 1st - we're going member only. This link will explain everything.

Also, further resources about druidry are here.... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46165

Any questions just shout :)

with many Blessings,

Heddwen :D

Delorin
OBOD Bard

Postby Delorin » 09 Oct 2017, 19:43

Hello everyone,
This is a decision I have been sitting on for about 10 years and finally decided that yes, it is time. My name is Ann, I am also known as Del ( the shorted form of my gaming tag). I live in Texas at the moment, and I am going to school for accounting, I own my own candle business, and do video editing for my guild. I have explored many different paths through the years but I always seem to land back on a druid/shamanic path.
Blessings

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 09 Oct 2017, 20:41

Hello everyone,
This is a decision I have been sitting on for about 10 years and finally decided that yes, it is time. My name is Ann, I am also known as Del ( the shorted form of my gaming tag). I live in Texas at the moment, and I am going to school for accounting, I own my own candle business, and do video editing for my guild. I have explored many different paths through the years but I always seem to land back on a druid/shamanic path.
Blessings

Hello Ann and welcome to OBODs online presence here on the Forum. :hiya:

So pleased that you made it here, that's the great thing about OBOD - you can take as much time as you need. :)

Here's a useful link to further background info about us... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46165

Enjoy the Gwersi!

AlexK00
OBOD Bard

Postby AlexK00 » 14 Oct 2017, 03:18

Merry Meet Everyone!
I've been dipping into various pagan pathways for awhile, looking for my 'home'. I finally found it in Druidry :) I'm excited to start learning. I'm 30 years old and living in Washington State, USA.
Blessed Be

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 14 Oct 2017, 08:54

Merry Meet Everyone!
I've been dipping into various pagan pathways for awhile, looking for my 'home'. I finally found it in Druidry :) I'm excited to start learning. I'm 30 years old and living in Washington State, USA.
Blessed Be

Merry meet to you too! :shake:

Welcome 'home', great that you have found us :) These forums will be going through some changes on November 1st - we will be becoming Members Only. Here's the link that will explain everything....viewtopic.php?f=345&p=483092#p483092

There's also some background reading about OBOD and Druidry here... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46165

Any questions, just ask.

with many Blessings,

Waldfrau
OBOD Bard

Postby Waldfrau » 17 Oct 2017, 21:05

Hi,

I'm Waldfrau. I'm just starting with the Bardic course. I've registered for the English version with text and audio-CDs, so I can listen to the "originals". (Well, I learned some poems and stuff are from Welsh and other non-English sources so I already learned a couple of new words like "glen" and "gwers" ;) ) I tried the "info-package" before I registered the course and really like the mix of exercises, poems and info...so I think the Bardic course will give me a lot of food for mind & soul ;)

I'm 35 years old and from Germany. I'm pagan since 10 years, mostly eclectic witchcraft. I practice seasonal celebrations with a little group of other witches. I hope to get new impulses from druidry and to deepen my connection with nature (I love plants and trees and forests...). I'm also interested in Celtic lore and want to learn more about it (plants, animals, deities, stories, places). (I still don't get the pronounciation of most stuff.)

(For those who know me from the German druidry forum, I have the same forum name there.)

Many Blessings
Waldfrau

Return to “The Hearthfire”