What did you learn today...?¿

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
Willowen
OBOD Bard

Re: What did you learn today...?¿

Postby Willowen » 09 Aug 2013, 19:03

For some reason I am having a hard time making posts. Anyway, there will be a meteor shower August 10-13. I got the information on facebook and I had to share it. I am not sure how this will work for the folks across the pond, but it sounds like the most spectacular viewing will be on the 12th. :poof: Enjoy and have an excellent day everyone!
Willowen :wolf:
"The Way itself is a strengthening of spirit, a growing closer to the balance that governs the world. Progress is slow along the Way, but every step of the journey is like a note in the oldest tune of all. When you have the tune complete, you complete yourself." from Moonheart by Charles De Lint

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 23 Aug 2013, 11:34

I learned that if I experience confusion, and cannot tell if I am doing or translating something correctly, and then something that I do (and tell people about) is perceived as me "being an idiot" (because honestly I am still not SURE that what I experience is RIGHT, and even after all these years have not heard a DECENT and understandable explanation of WHAT something so elusive is like), I can experience being ignored or coldshouldered by more experienced people who are supposed to have their act together and be better educated. I've learned that the place I had hoped to go, with other like minded people, who might have the answers I so desperately need because maybe THEY can explain it better than anyone else, has people JUST as self important and judgmental. I've learned that being as upbeat and open and sharing as I can, can get me isolated, judged, and ignored. I've learned I should go back to being as solitary as I was. SO ok yeah maybe that's why I am not so sure that I am "doing it right" because I have no one that can explain that yes this is indeed how you can experience that and even though it seems impossible, or impossibly EASY, you are still going about it the right way... but at least if I keep to myself, I don't expose myself to the chance of others walking in my feelings. To be a rug takes two... one to walk and the other to allow it.

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Postby Michael C. Page » 23 Aug 2013, 13:42

I learned that if I experience confusion, and cannot tell if I am doing or translating something correctly, and then something that I do (and tell people about) is perceived as me "being an idiot" (because honestly I am still not SURE that what I experience is RIGHT, and even after all these years have not heard a DECENT and understandable explanation of WHAT something so elusive is like), I can experience being ignored or coldshouldered by more experienced people who are supposed to have their act together and be better educated. I've learned that the place I had hoped to go, with other like minded people, who might have the answers I so desperately need because maybe THEY can explain it better than anyone else, has people JUST as self important and judgmental. I've learned that being as upbeat and open and sharing as I can, can get me isolated, judged, and ignored. I've learned I should go back to being as solitary as I was. SO ok yeah maybe that's why I am not so sure that I am "doing it right" because I have no one that can explain that yes this is indeed how you can experience that and even though it seems impossible, or impossibly EASY, you are still going about it the right way... but at least if I keep to myself, I don't expose myself to the chance of others walking in my feelings. To be a rug takes two... one to walk and the other to allow it.
There are times in all our lives when it is best to be solitary Menevengiel. All the very best wishes and blessings to you in this chapter of your life.

Michael

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 24 Aug 2013, 23:42

There are times in all our lives when it is best to be solitary Menevengiel. All the very best wishes and blessings to you in this chapter of your life.

Michael
Wow... I guess it's a good thing I wasn't talking about the people here on the forum and hoping for help or this might have hurt. On a lighter note, while journaling my experiences, I re-read one of the earliest Triads and it helped me to interpret the reactions of that group as a possible lesson afforded me by the Ancient Ones. "Stop looking for approval, acceptance, or help from outside on these things. What is right for others may not be right for you, and parts of this path, this experience, are yours alone. Look for the answers within." So the reaction of that other group actually could be refined to something for more "deep" than simply a group of self important people.

Interesting reaction though, on your part Michael. Encouragement to seek my own solutions from within perhaps?

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Postby Michael C. Page » 25 Aug 2013, 15:59

Michael
Wow... I guess it's a good thing I wasn't talking about the people here on the forum and hoping for help or this might have hurt. On a lighter note, while journaling my experiences, I re-read one of the earliest Triads and it helped me to interpret the reactions of that group as a possible lesson afforded me by the Ancient Ones. "Stop looking for approval, acceptance, or help from outside on these things. What is right for others may not be right for you, and parts of this path, this experience, are yours alone. Look for the answers within." So the reaction of that other group actually could be refined to something for more "deep" than simply a group of self important people.

Interesting reaction though, on your part Michael. Encouragement to seek my own solutions from within perhaps?
I think we all need a bit of both don't you? Anyway, I also think that none of us are ever really alone no matter how hard we try to be. :D

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 27 Aug 2013, 11:12

I think we all need a bit of both don't you? Anyway, I also think that none of us are ever really alone no matter how hard we try to be. :D
Absolutely, and now more than ever. It's not something that had occurred to me before, either. I have a funny feeling I will be experiencing this again LOL.

Ghostrider
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghostrider » 01 Sep 2013, 14:33

That the AllFather has odd ways of telling things... That is all.
"I don't suffer from INSANITY!! I enjoy every minute of it!"

R0wdy Atomic WEDGIE-master

2007 SBImage
Finder of lost Message board Souls of the Most Holy (or not) Order of Slightly Reformed Non-Visigoth Circus Performers

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 06 Sep 2013, 03:36

I learned that it is foolish to expect wisdom from people who claim that thinking for themselves is a temptation and a sin. :roll:

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 11 Sep 2013, 07:09

That the internal logics and external pressures of law have an effect on jurisprudence... whether you view law as man-made or Divine in it's creation.
Can it be both?

druidkat7
OBOD Bard
Location: Inside my heart, tending the flame my favorite musician has relit time and time again...

Postby druidkat7 » 11 Sep 2013, 12:40

Once again, I am coming to the conclusion that I just plain need to trust my gut and my heart more and to quit listening to the niggling doubts.

This lesson was lit up like a full moon for me upon watching the Disney film "Tangled." Seeing Rapunzel's so-called "mother" be the way she was, all crafty, controlling and manipulating...it's like she was my niggling doubts come to "life," as it were. "Mother knows best, listen to mummy." And I knew exactly the people in my life who said stuff like that to me, or at least taught me to think like that, exacerbating my own tendencies to be harsh on myself...

Then I saw Rapunzel, upon being free from the tower with Flynn, dancing about and bashing herself by turns...oh, Goddess I know what that feels like...and Flynn said it best: "Wow...I can't help but notice you're a bit at war with yourself."

(Gee, ya THINK, Flynn???)

Yeah...I thought it was going to be just a fun new movie to watch...I had NO idea it would bring up so many aching issues for me...

But then perhaps that was Great Spirit, the Awen, gently guiding me to what would bring that icky stuff to the surface so I can let it go... :cry:
"Change we must, to live again!"--Jon Anderson

"Without hope, you cannot start the day!"--Jon Anderson

"Never underestimate the power that's given to you!"--Jon Anderson

"Use the force, Luke!"--Obi-Wan Kenobi

SpiritFox

Postby SpiritFox » 16 Sep 2013, 14:34

Today I was told by Earth Dragon that I am worth more than I believe. That I need to hold my talents close to my heart and not undercharge myself.
I need to not be belittled by others and know that the Awen will continue it's flow of creativity and I need not worry.

I was also told by Goose to look after myself more, as that is the reason my creativity is waning. Bull told me to calm myself and ground myself. And Frog reminded me that things are tough now, but they will get much better soon.

I can always count on my Animal friends to help :)
My Animal Totem Blog: http://CelticAnimalTotems.com

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 26 Sep 2013, 20:45

I'm learning about the Beech....I've been dawn to this gorgeous tree in my local forest, and decided to read up on her today as soon as I got home from my walk. It was lovely to learn that the maternal sense I have of her, the "Mother of the Woods" was so resonant with the lore.

Sherrie

Postby Sherrie » 28 Oct 2013, 15:12

Today I was told by Earth Dragon that I am worth more than I believe. That I need to hold my talents close to my heart and not undercharge myself.
I need to not be belittled by others and know that the Awen will continue it's flow of creativity and I need not worry.
Yeah, that's my problem, too. Sometimes it's so hard to make your inner criticism stop you from doing things because "you are doing it all wrong" :-(

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 28 Oct 2013, 15:18

Yeah, that's my problem, too. Sometimes it's so hard to make your inner criticism stop you from doing things because "you are doing it all wrong" :-(
I have that problem too, but as one of the Gwersi says: "you've been hating yourself for so long, try loving yourself for a change."
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 30 Oct 2013, 09:36

Today I learned why if you're carrying a candle around to cleanse a space, it's a really good idea to make sure whatever you're carrying it on has a lip. Hot candlewax is unpleasant on the hands! :wry smile:

Oakthorn
OBOD Bard

Postby Oakthorn » 06 Nov 2013, 00:14

I learned today that all sorts of creativity can be small rituals in their own right. Being a new Bard, I was listening to the Gwersi while chopping up all the lovely vegetables that are around at the moment, to make soup. When finished it felt like a blessing itself, from the love labor that went into making it, to the thought of it warming a loved one eating it :-)
Forest walker, tree talker & soup maker

Oakthorn
OBOD Bard

Postby Oakthorn » 06 Nov 2013, 00:16

*as a side note I don't always listen to the lessons while cooking lol - sometimes I listen to the first ones again while being creative :-)
Forest walker, tree talker & soup maker

Willowen
OBOD Bard

Postby Willowen » 14 Jan 2014, 05:02

Today I learned that when you compose a lengthy, time consuming PM to a member you should save your draft or something before you preview it. Argh! :puter: I hit the preview button and it went whizzing off into cyber space I think. Oh well, lesson learned I guess. :shrug:
"The Way itself is a strengthening of spirit, a growing closer to the balance that governs the world. Progress is slow along the Way, but every step of the journey is like a note in the oldest tune of all. When you have the tune complete, you complete yourself." from Moonheart by Charles De Lint

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 14 Jan 2014, 17:39

Today I learnt how much my body holds onto things even when I don't realise it. Thankfully I have a great massage therapist who did realise. :cloud9:
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 14 Jan 2014, 17:48

I learned that if you're going to leave an offering of alcohol on your indoor altar, its not a good idea to set it right next to candles, or your living room may soon smell like gin.

Return to “The Hearthfire”