The Aussie thread....

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Re: The Aussie thread....

Postby Crinia » 24 Nov 2012, 03:32

Hi All

Does anyone know the story behind the standing stones on a hill near the the ACT/NSW border. They can be seen from the Federal Highway. Is it a grove for a local group or someones eccentricity?

Crinia
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

Serenity
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serenity » 24 Nov 2012, 05:07

Hi Crinia

A local couple who own the land decided to create a replica of Stonehenge, but I think it's an eccentricity rather than an informed attempt to create a sacred space. They own an earthmoving business. As far as I am aware, they are not Druids. I live close by and have considered asking if I can check out the circle to see whether it would work as a ceremonial space but haven't done anything about it yet. Article below was from the local newspaper.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 1zp8x.html
Bright blessings
Serenity

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 25 Nov 2012, 02:55

Thanks Serenity.
Although local, I don't travel that section of the highway very often (very much prefer the dirt back roads). It peaked my curiosity when I saw it the other day.
Crinia

Dragonwyst
OBOD Bard

Postby Dragonwyst » 12 Jan 2013, 00:35

Hi Crinia - Hi everyone :yay:

I've been evil about posting here of late - very evil! Too busy interacting with the Druids Down Under thread on Facebook instead. I'm about to hunt down what one has to do to add a blog to the members blogs here. Just :hiya: as I pass through....:)

reilz81
OBOD Bard

Postby reilz81 » 03 Feb 2013, 03:43

wishing you all a blessed lammas/lughnasadh sorry for not being around busy with 4 kidlets most of the time don't get much chance to get on here of late blessings to you all

Klandaxa
OBOD Bard

Postby Klandaxa » 29 Apr 2013, 16:39

Greetings, brothers and sisters. I hope all are well. :)
Peace to all living spirits...

2011 LI

Ra3vyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Ra3vyn » 29 Apr 2013, 17:44

Greetings all,

I'm still here! A lot if stuff going on in these past months so been really quiet overall while dealing with it all.
How's everydrood faring? Well I hope!

I'll try drop by again soon, for now time for some meditation and sleep :)

Blessings light and love
Rae :) :hug:

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 20 Sep 2013, 22:10

Spring has definitely sprung here. The wattle trees are all flowering and the first hen went broody this week wanting to sit on a clutch of eggs. Unfortunately I haven't seen the hares for about 2 weeks now which suggests the neighbour must have shot them. They are intelligent creatures, we have trapped plenty of rabbits but never a hare. Most people around hear don't seem to realise their is a difference and call them all rabbits.
Crinia

SilverSage

Postby SilverSage » 13 Nov 2013, 02:22

Hello Everyone!

It seems this thread isn't heavily used anymore, but I'm going to throw this out there anyways :)

I'm brand new to Australia. And well, to OBOD, too. I've been with ADF for nearly a year, and before that was studying eclectic Wicca. I'm originally from the West Coast of Canada, where I've been practicing Paganism of various flavours for nearly 10 years.

But now I'm in Australia. From everything I can tell there is no Pagan activity in the area I am in (the Highlands of Victoria), but was wondering if anyone knows of anything that is maybe a little less visible. I'm not necessarily looking for a Grove, although that would be incredible... more so just looking to see if there is anyone or anything Pagan or Pagan-friendly. I suppose I'm looking for a little familiarity in this new country.

Beyond that, is there anyone recommended resources for Australian Paganism? I haven't started an in depth search yet, but would be very curious to know what you all, as Aussie Pagans, do/read/consider useful.

Thanks for your time.

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Postby Michael C. Page » 20 Dec 2013, 15:51

Blessed Alban Hefin to you folks down-under! |-) I hope all goes well! :gulp:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

Bronzewing
OBOD Ovate

Postby Bronzewing » 22 Jan 2014, 06:21

Thanks Michael, sorry its a bit echoey in here. :P

Hi Silversage and welcome. There is a Facebook page that a lot of Aussie druids use. https://www.facebook.com/groups/druidsdownunder/ I'm sure you will find something you can join in in Vic, if not nearby. Always the way for us lot; everything a little bit different is miles away.

Hugs,

Bronzie
"Remember to love yourself. Remember to love each other. Remember to love this earth, these rivers, these trees, these stars."
~ T. Thorn Coyle

Summer Moon
OBOD Bard

Postby Summer Moon » 22 Jan 2014, 20:42

And people say us Aussies are friendly bunch...

:hiya:
Becki
Summer Moon

As I clap my hands
with the echoes, it begins to dawn -
the summer moon

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 24 Jan 2014, 12:07

Hi. I'm an aussie, not far from Canberra, if anyone's around that area.

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 01 Feb 2014, 01:26

I just went and picked the first of the strawberries to celebrate the harvest season - delicious!

Dragonwyst
OBOD Bard

Postby Dragonwyst » 02 Feb 2014, 00:11

Happy Lughnassadh one and all

Welcome to Silversage if said person ever drifts by again. :gulp:

Australia is busy waaay busy for any of us engaged in worrying about our environment, so pardon the silence and pass the petitions. We have the Great Barrier Reef to save from our guv'ment at present - no small task, and the Tassie forests are being threatened with loss of their World Heritage status....so many things threatened by greed. It's hard emotional and spiritual work on many levels. :eilth:

and happy year of the Horse too! :horse1: :pony:

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 02 Feb 2014, 07:28

Petition

http://www.savethereef.org.au/?section=petition

You don't need to be Aussie to sign

Crinia

Bronzewing
OBOD Ovate

Postby Bronzewing » 05 Mar 2014, 04:52

I'm with Dragonwyst, is a very hard time for environmentally and socially conscious Aussies just now. Am horrified by what this new Gov has done in a few short months. Feel betrayed by the people who voted them in. Being West Aussie we also have the same sort of horrible State Gov as well which has also started killing sharks on top of all the rest, despite huge public uproar. Not good times.

Hugs,

Bronzie
"Remember to love yourself. Remember to love each other. Remember to love this earth, these rivers, these trees, these stars."
~ T. Thorn Coyle

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 20 Mar 2014, 21:25

Petition

http://www.savethereef.org.au/?section=petition

You don't need to be Aussie to sign

Crinia
Signed.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

BearBears
OBOD Bard

Postby BearBears » 02 May 2014, 11:45

Hello,

As an Aussie thats just beginning down the path of Druidry after exploring Wicca for a time, I just wanted to ask my fellow Australian a question about the OBOD course.

I'm still deciding if Im going to go ahead and commit to the course and I wanted to know what you think about its relevance to those in the Southern Hemisphere. Im treading this path on my own right now and for the forceable future as I don't have anyone near me that I can learn from or study with.

I'm just wondering if any of you have found it difficult to connect with or if you think it makes no difference where you are in the world when it comes to the Course.
“Many human beings say that they enjoy the winter, but what they really enjoy is feeling proof against it.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 03 May 2014, 09:11

Welcome Bear

I didn't have any trouble connecting with the Bardic course. The key things are switching directions and seasons. OBOD were also thoughtful enough to provide me with a tutor in the southern hemisphere - maybe you could ask for one should you decide to begin.

The ovate course is a bit more challenging as there is more to learn about herbs and trees that are not necessarily found in some parts of Aus so you need to learn to adapt.

I study on my own locality wise and have found this message board helps me to connect. Damh's podcasts are also a great way to connect, as is the Serpent star newsletter https://serpentstar.wordpress.com/

Tread lightly
Crinia

Return to “The Hearthfire”