Canadian Druids

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
Cosmic55
OBOD Ovate

Re: Canadian Druids

Postby Cosmic55 » 30 Aug 2017, 16:41

Welcome!

Quick reminder: there are two Canadian Druid groups on Facebook.

The first is the Canadian Druid Network, the more open public face group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1484932931793765/

The second is Northern Nemeton, intended to be a "behind closed doors" sort of place.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthernNemeton/

Hope to see you there!
“This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

SacredElements
OBOD Bard

Postby SacredElements » 16 Sep 2017, 22:42

Hello! Wonderful to find a Canadian group. I live in Spruce Grove, Alberta and am brand new to the Bardic Grade. Looking forward to connecting :)
Janine

Cosmic55
OBOD Ovate

Postby Cosmic55 » 16 Sep 2017, 23:32

Welcome Janine!

BrendaR
OBOD Bard

Postby BrendaR » 29 Sep 2017, 21:59

Hey everyone, just finished the introductions and am now on to lesson 1. Sitting here on the northern end of Vancouver Island. Let me know if you decide to cross the pond. :shake:

Bren

Amethyst
OBOD Druid

Postby Amethyst » 01 Oct 2017, 15:10

Welcome Janine!
There is a Grove in Calgary if you're ever interested :hug:
Everything always works out more perfectly than I plan it.

Lalita Rae
OBOD Bard

Postby Lalita Rae » 04 Oct 2017, 03:02

Hello Everyone :hug: Edmonton, Alberta here :hiya:

athelia143
OBOD Druid

Postby athelia143 » 09 Oct 2017, 01:12

Welcome, Janine, from Airdrie, Alberta! (It's been a long time since I've been to Spruce Grove, but I hope all is well there.

Athelia /|\

Aine Ceiswyr
OBOD Druid

Postby Aine Ceiswyr » 14 Nov 2017, 03:19

So many new OBODies in Canada, how wonderful! :hiya: Welcome and blessings from the Prairies. :yay: :yay:
Dance to your own tune, laugh till it hurts and enjoy being part of the mystery

Endarius
OBOD Bard

Postby Endarius » 14 Nov 2017, 21:34

I have just begun my journey through the Bardic Gwerseys. I am from Saskatoon, Sk. Hail and well met to my new peers.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 14 Nov 2017, 22:27

I have just begun my journey through the Bardic Gwerseys. I am from Saskatoon, Sk. Hail and well met to my new peers.
Hello and welcome Endarius! :)

BCPantheist
OBOD Bard

Postby BCPantheist » 02 Dec 2017, 07:19

Welcome, Endarius!

I've only been on the forums a scant few times in the years I've been a member of OBOD, but I know that we OBODies are few and far-between in Western Canada. There were a scattered few living around BC when I first joined OBOD, in the mid-00s, but The second time around, I find myself waffling between Druidry and Germanic Heathenry. I'm not sure what the Druidic population of BC is like, now, though I feel inclined to connect with folks on Vancouver Island, and elsewhere in Cascadia.
We are earth-born, children of nature, and related to every living thing. (Steven Foster)

Woodwose Radio Podcast: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/woodwose

Cosmic55
OBOD Ovate

Postby Cosmic55 » 02 Dec 2017, 13:33

...but The second time around, I find myself waffling between Druidry and Germanic Heathenry.
This is where I find myself. Druidry seems to be the only neopagan path that puts nature first, as the prime source of inspiration and guidance. Yes in some cultures Heathen gods are manifestations of nature and mankind. Yes they most likely were originally primal being born from nature. In practice, however, only the Druids today seem willing to make that a priority.

I also find it interesting when people compare OBOD to other paths, saying OBOD is more focused than others on the individuals personal spirituality - isn't that what it should be? We focus on peace and love...in the 21st century, shouldn't that be the case for everyone? It's an example of a community defining itself through it's own preferences, rather than perhaps asking questions and coming up with what should - to a modern mind - be obvious answers.

If you ask yourself what you path is for, and the answer isn't personal spirituality (which is required for a healthy whole community), to find peace within and with others, to bring joy, to heal...then what exactly should the point be, regardless of which gods you honour or what culture inspires you?

Delian
OBOD Bard

Postby Delian » 03 Dec 2017, 20:27

This is where I find myself. Druidry seems to be the only neopagan path that puts nature first, as the prime source of inspiration and guidance. Yes in some cultures Heathen gods are manifestations of nature and mankind. Yes they most likely were originally primal being born from nature. In practice, however, only the Druids today seem willing to make that a priority.
That is a way to view it. I know a few Canadians also interested by that path as well, and while I've not asked them the reasons behind it, I think that it may be because we share the same nordic environment with our 6 months winters, lots of snow, wind, auroras, nordic similar animals, like snow foxes, snow owls, penguins, polar bears... easy to imagine Vikings living here. Well, if my memory is good, Vikings were the first people from Europe who set foot here in the new world, in now Canada.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Hearthfire”