Stargazing

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
PipingDruid
OBOD Ovate

Re: Stargazing

Postby PipingDruid » 30 Aug 2017, 00:30

PipingDruid, is the solar filter for your telescope the same material as the eclipse glasses, or is it more of a welder's glass?

Tracey G: 3 1/2 minutes? Wow, that's luxurious. Although still a pretty brief part of the total process. :) I can make no promises, but I'll keep an eye out for the one in 2024. At the current rate, I'm sure it will be "The Most Spectacular Eclipse Since Babylon Was A Mud Hut".

Dyfn here is the link, it is glass not a film like most glasses. http://spectrumtelescope.com/product/gl ... -38-236mm/ I prefer the glass because they are much more durable and less likely to get the, "pin holes" of the film.

Piping Druid
There was a young lady named Bright whose speed was far faster than light; She set out one day in a relative way and returned on the previous night.

http://pipingdruid.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pipingdruid

Dyfn
OBOD Bard

Postby Dyfn » 04 Sep 2017, 05:03

Dyfn here is the link, it is glass not a film like most glasses. http://spectrumtelescope.com/product/gl ... -38-236mm/ I prefer the glass because they are much more durable and less likely to get the, "pin holes" of the film.

Piping Druid
I can see how the glass would be advantageous. Pretty cool.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” -- Aldo Leopold

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 10 Sep 2017, 03:17

My husband was able to fix the video from our eclipse observing site. :) Here’s an updated link.
“Herein therefore lies our present problem: to find forms of expression for the time-spirit of the seasons in such a way as to enrich the spirit of devotion to the soil, to express and to intensify co-operation with nature.”
...—Ross Nichols, “An Examination of Creative Myth,” in The Cosmic Shape (1946)

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 28 Oct 2017, 15:41

I just noticed that this was happening tonight....Happy Celebrations! :-D

https://www.space.com/38574-internation ... night.html

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 28 Oct 2017, 15:56

Thanks for posting this, Heddwen! I hope we get to see the Moon tonight. Our local forecast is predicting mostly cloudy skies. If possible, though, we’ll be opening the Sachtleben Observatory for public viewing.
“Herein therefore lies our present problem: to find forms of expression for the time-spirit of the seasons in such a way as to enrich the spirit of devotion to the soil, to express and to intensify co-operation with nature.”

Nineflowers
OBOD Ovate

Postby Nineflowers » 21 Nov 2017, 16:45

Can anyone recommend a good android app for simply helping you recognise constellations? I have always wanted to have some basic knowledge of them and never managed it. But I'm in the countryside so not too much light pollution, and walking the dog every night in the dark, so it might be a good chance to start finally getting to grips with this...

Waldfrau
OBOD Bard

Postby Waldfrau » 21 Nov 2017, 17:08

I love Stellarium, though I usw it on my desktop PC. It's very beginner friendly. You just have to enter your geographical data and then you can see which constellation, planet etc. is in which direction and on what time of day. You can fast forward or backwards to see what planet was there in the morning etc.

trinitylaurel
OBOD Bard

Postby trinitylaurel » 21 Nov 2017, 17:09

Can anyone recommend a good android app for simply helping you recognise constellations? I have always wanted to have some basic knowledge of them and never managed it. But I'm in the countryside so not too much light pollution, and walking the dog every night in the dark, so it might be a good chance to start finally getting to grips with this...

Yes! Google has an app called Sky Map. You can literally point your phone up at the sky and find whatever constellation you're looking at. Whenever there's a meteor shower and they say online what constellation it will be near, I always yank out that app and orient myself with it. I hope you have the same success I've had with it!
“Wisdom is not communicable. The wisdom which a wise man tries to communicate always sounds foolish... Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it.”
― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 30 Nov 2017, 18:08

Speaking of meteors, the conditions are right this year for the Geminids to put on a potentially excellent show, on the night of December 13–14. If it’s clear here, I will be out at the the observatory starting at 9:00 p.m. The best rates, though, should be around 2:00 a.m. (your local time).

The radiant will be near Castor, which is the second brightest star in Gemini. All of the meteors in the shower will appear to be coming from that point. I prefer to watch the sky a bit away from the radiant, though. Close to the radiant, the meteors are hitting the atmosphere from a nearly head-on direction. That means they have shorter trails in that area of the sky, as seen from our perspective. (They can even look like points, if they’re right on the radiant!)

Sky and Telescope doesn’t have their Geminid article posted yet this year, but a brief description of the shower and a nice graphic with the radiant may be found at the end of this article.

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 13 Dec 2017, 15:11

Just a friendly reminder that tonight is the peak of the Geminid meteor shower. :) The shower is already fairly active—my husband was out last night around 11:00 p.m. and saw 37 Geminids in an hour (from a location that’s three miles outside the city).

Return to “The Hearthfire”