Stonehenge tunnel route....

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Stonehenge tunnel route....

Postby Heddwen » 12 Sep 2017, 11:06

The proposed Stonehenge tunnel route has been altered to protect the view at the winter solstice....any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-41227359

Ailim
OBOD Druid

Re: Stonehenge tunnel route....

Postby Ailim » 12 Sep 2017, 13:50

I'm uneasy about the proposed route. I appreciate there is a need to improve the road system as the A303 gets very congested at peak times, and the tunnel proposal may be less intrusive, but I'm concerned about the impact the heavy machinery and building works may have on the immediate area as they start tunnelling.
Ailim
As we progress on our journey we are changed by it

http://www.pagan-transitions.org.uk
Prison Pagan Chaplain
Member of OBOD, The Druid Network and the Pagan Federation

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 12 Sep 2017, 13:57

Yes, it looks like a mixed blessing doesn't it? One can only hope it's done with care and lots of archeologists on site every step of the way!!!

Greybeard
OBOD Druid

Postby Greybeard » 12 Sep 2017, 19:54

This is appalling on a number of levels.

Firstly, the government has ignored professional advice and bodies such as UNESCO.

Secondly, the idea that widening roads will reduce congestion is flawed. While there are short term reductions in congestion there is a longer term increase in traffic often leading to further congestion but with more vehicles.

While the US and Caribbean suffer the aftermath of climate change enhanced hurricanes, the UK government ploughs ahead with more road building and therefore more CO2 emissions.

Finally, while Stonehenge may not have a direct connection to ancient druids, it is still one of the most important historic sites in Britain. It should not have a tunnel put under it, especially a shallow one through unstable chalk and one that will surely undermine the stones in the long distant future.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 12 Sep 2017, 20:06

as we have all see the destruction all around the world ,, the removal of statues and blowing up the past we need to hold on to something even if its just to wonder about when we look apon it
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

MoonPryderi
OBOD Bard

Postby MoonPryderi » 20 Oct 2017, 00:55

I find this whole thing very distressing!
Moon Pryderi

"Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world .... Buddha"

https://dreamingpath.wordpress.com

2017Image

nollaig
OBOD Druid

Postby nollaig » 20 Oct 2017, 04:28

Peace and all-Goodness y'alls.

I am not distressed by the weather, don't care about civil engineers, and can't trust CO2 emission reports.

The Jack Pines remain my strength.
nollaig an fánaí+
:oakfall:

"The sin which is unpardonable is knowingly and wilfully to reject truth, to fear knowledge lest that knowledge pander not to thy prejudices." (Uncle Aleister, Liber Libræ)

2013 LI (3), 2014 IL (2), 2014 BS (3), 2014 LI (3), 2015 IL (3), 2015 LI (3), 2015 SB (4), 2016 IL (6), 2016 BS (4), 2016 SB (1), 2017 SB (4).

Return to “The Hearthfire”