Gender field on the registration form

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
Selene
OBOD Druid

Gender field on the registration form

Postby Selene » 04 Oct 2017, 00:11

Hi, folks,

Over the years we've had several of our members write to ask why it's required to label oneself as either "male" or "female" when registering an account. The answer is that the software that powers the board is apparently mired in the 20th century, or something...in other words, I don't have a clue, but it's what we've had to deal with for quite awhile.

Once upon a time, "not specified" was a valid option, but somewhere along the line of software updates, that dropped off. Now, one of our tech admins thinks he may be getting a handle on how to offer other choices, but he doesn't know what people want. For those of you who want some non-binary choices, please comment (oe send me a PM) with what you'd like to see offered, even if it's simply "prefer not to say."

Once we get the new options in place, it should be possible for people to edit their profiles to reflect their preferences.

Thanks in advance for the input!
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

ZavieBelle
OBOD Bard

Re: Gender field on the registration form

Postby ZavieBelle » 05 Oct 2017, 01:54

This won't specifically affect me, but gosh am I glad to see it! :)

AlexK00
OBOD Bard

Re: Gender field on the registration form

Postby AlexK00 » 14 Oct 2017, 03:23

As someone who often is socially mislabeled, I always appreciate a 'not specified' option.

Return to “The Hearthfire”