The Spirit/Soul of pets?

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
stupidget

The Spirit/Soul of pets?

Postby stupidget » 01 Nov 2017, 17:13

Hope you're all well.

I just wanted to ask a quick question. Yesterday I had the terrible duty of taking our 18 year old cat to be put to sleep. As you can imagine this was a thoroughly awful experience as Pipkin (named after the 70s kids TV show) was more than 'just a cat', she was part of our family. As such she has left a huge gap in our home and the house now just feels 'empty'. For the past few years I've been reading a lot on Druidry and wanted to know if pets souls/spirits were thought to take the same journey as their human counterparts?

At the moment I'm struggling with the usual thoughts of 'Did I make the right decision having her put to sleep?', 'Was it wrong not to stay with her?', 'Did she know I was even there'.

I'd really like to know what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Stu..

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: The Spirit/Soul of pets?

Postby Heddwen » 01 Nov 2017, 18:30

Hi Stu,

First of all I'd like to say how sorry I am for the loss of your pet cat. You are still grieving and it's in the early days, so please don't beat yourself up about whether you made the right decision etc. Just go with the ebb and flow of your feelings for now. Try to stay in 'mindful' mode if you can, go with your emotions.

Secondly I'd like to add that some people feel that their lost ones that are animals, go over 'rainbow bridge'. I know not what that is exactly, but I do feel comfort from thinking that there is some sort of afterlife. I suppose that it depends on your personal beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_(pets)

Take care, Stu. I shall light a candle for Pipkin.

Heddwen.

malcolmb
OBOD Ovate

Postby malcolmb » 01 Nov 2017, 21:28

Hi Stu

My sincere condolences for your loss. While we call them pets, they are members of the family and we feel their loss as we would loosing any family member.

Many Druids including myself believe in reincarnation. Whether it is the spirit or soul that continues after our bodily death is a matter of opinion but let me use the term "spirit". The spirit is eternal. After bodily death it goes to another place some call the Summerland for rest and healing before taking its next journey in a new life form. All living things have a spirit. A cat, a dog, a tree, an insect, a fish, a bird, a human - all have a spirit. All spirits are equal, irrespective of which life form they inhabited during a reincarnation. Which life form a spirit takes at each reincarnation may be a matter of choice or perhaps it is decided as part of the learning journey that each spirit takes. But all spirits go to the same place for rest and healing and all spirits then return to a life form. So the spirit of your cat may have been in many life forms during the existence of that spirit - including human. What its next incarnation will be we will never know. But you have shared your life with that spirit and I am certain it will always remember you with great love.
Peaceful Earth Grove: http://www.peacefulearthgrove.com/

My original "Druid Music" CDs (all proceeds to the charity "Pagan Aid":
https://lylemusic.bandcamp.com/

My original Celtic / Folk / Jazz music at:
http://www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
http://www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
http://www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic

“So many Gods, so many creeds, so many paths that wind and wind. While just the art of being kind, is all the sad world needs.” Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Ailim
OBOD Druid

Postby Ailim » 01 Nov 2017, 23:09

Hi Stu, my sympathy on the awful decision you had to make, yet sometimes it's for the best and your pet is now at peace.

I've been through similar with having to put a beloved pet to sleep due to illness. I believe all living things have a spirit/soul, and that, like us, their energy force goes back into the Earth (or sky or sea) to be re-born. I have written a small ceremony which I used after I had my dog cremated and scattered at the bottom of my garden. If you want to use it, it can be found on my Pagan funeral website under

http://pagan-transitions.org.uk/pets.html

:hug:
Ailim
As we progress on our journey we are changed by it

http://www.pagan-transitions.org.uk
Prison Pagan Chaplain
Member of OBOD, The Druid Network and the Pagan Federation

aaron
OBOD Ovate

Postby aaron » 01 Nov 2017, 23:57

Hi Stu,
I am very sorry for your loss. I know what it is like to lose an animal companion. Just realize that your pet is in a better place, free of hurt and pain.

To cover the second part of your post first, I always council people to decide whether they are keeping the animal alive for themselves or for their pet. If your pet is in pain and suffering, think of how you would feel in the same situation. You are giving your pet the ultimate gift, freeing the animal to follow its spiritual path.

That leads me to the first part of your post. As a Druid, I believe that all living things have a soul. And I believe that the soul; is not destroyed, but rather moves on to another life form. I believe that our body is just a shell, and that the spirit and the soul lives on after death. You will feel this on an inner plain every time the memory of your pet surfaces. I am sure that your cat was aware of your presence and thanks you for your gift. Someday, another cat will be drawn to you, and will be vaguely familiar to you.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss, but please know that the animal is now at peace.
With many blessings under the Trees.
Aaron

nollaig
OBOD Druid

Postby nollaig » 02 Nov 2017, 02:04

Sorry.

Words are not enough
-- right now.
Time heals.
When your ready
...truth may prevail.

~n.

"The sin which is unpardonable is knowingly and wilfully to reject truth, to fear knowledge lest that knowledge pander not to thy prejudices." (Uncle Aleister, Liber Libræ)

2013 LI (3), 2014 IL (2), 2014 BS (3), 2014 LI (3), 2015 IL (3), 2015 LI (3), 2015 SB (4), 2016 IL (6), 2016 BS (4), 2016 SB (1), 2017 SB (4).

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 02 Nov 2017, 07:41

Big hug on the loss of your fur-familymember...

Don't secondguess yourself... things work out the way they should. Sometimes animals have difficulty passing "on" if the family stays with them at the vets, so it becomes more drawn out then nesseccary. Trust that you have done the right thing out of deep love. True love means doing the right thing by our loved ones, even if it hurts ourselves beyond belief...

And to the "spirit/soul of pets" part... look deep inside, beyond conditioning and taught believes... you will find truth and peace there.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

stupidget

Postby stupidget » 02 Nov 2017, 10:16

Hi To everybody who has posted an answer.

All your truly heartfelt and comforting words have really helped both my wife and I, and we really appreciate it.

I love the thought of Pip's spirit 'moving on' and being healed and getting ready for the next journey.

Even though we had to make an awful decision, it would have been far crueler to drag out her illness on a purely selfish basis so we could have her with us for longer.

In an odd way, Autumn feels like the right time of year as well. A time to sleep and then wake anew in Spring.

Thanks again to you all :hug:

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 02 Nov 2017, 12:08

I know how you feel, having gone through this so far nine times, the last of which I never have recovered from. I have a lovely photo of this particular old cat. He was a rescue cat and not an "in your face" cat, but had a silent but knowing presence. I have a big photo of him, and I kiss it every time I pass by, which is often. It somehow keeps him connected to me. He was taken ill literally overnight and was incurable. Keeping him alive would have meant an endless round of physical medical intervention for him. The quality of life gone. The day I took him to the vet, (he had only been once before) we looked each other in the eye, and I told him that I did not think he would be coming home. I don't know how I knew, but I was right, it was heartbreaking, The strange thing was, a couple of weeks before all this happened, I was petting him and said "whatever would I do without you? I would miss you so much." I can feel the tears coming as I write. I believe that some animals are somehow "special", and as I am currently studying tibetan buddhism, their belief is that all creatures may have been our relatives in a past life. I know nothing about my ancestors, so maybe it was one of them. Who knows.
Try to live each day as if it were your last

Delian
OBOD Bard

Postby Delian » 02 Nov 2017, 22:16

I'm really sorry for your loss, it must be painful what you're going through.

My first pet, a cat, was already old when I took him, and I kept him for 6-7 years, and like yours he was struck with an illness, and I decided, instead of making him suffer, to euthanize him instead. Not only I felt grief over his death, but I was wrecked with guilt over this decision. I dreamt one night some time after, about my cat being in the Summerlands. The sun was so bright it was blinding me, and the colors were so bright as well, with vivid colors. I was facing the sea, and I could sense people around me, but not see them clearly, and when I turned around my cat was there. Behind me were as well trees, flowers, bushes, birds, and my cat was playing in a bush. I followed him and we played for a while, spent some time together, I patted him, and he seemed happy there. I sensed he was telling me he was doing fine and he was happy where he was and telling me not to worry about his death and everything. I hope my story will make you feel a bit better.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

stupidget

Postby stupidget » 06 Nov 2017, 09:45

Thank you Delian, that really is a lovely story.

Over the past week I have spent a lot of time mountain biking in the woods around me and this has really helped to clear my head. I know my wife is hoping to 'see' Pip again, but, I keep telling her that you can't force this. It will happen and it will probably happen when she least expects it.

Thanks again to everybody for posting such lovely words.

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 06 Nov 2017, 16:02

Hello Stu. Just sending love to you and your wife and glad you have found some comfort here and in nature. Our animal companions are so precious and I once heard a vet say that although it made his heart ache, it was one of the great privileges of his job to put an animal out of its suffering. Bless you. xx

Return to “The Hearthfire”