Progression in tarot

A forum for informal conversation and friendly repartee. Please join us at the fire, introduce yourself and receive a hearty welcome! :grin:
Forum rules
Welcome to The Hearthfire! This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Host: Heddwen
Note: this forum is set to auto prune after a thread has not had a post or been viewed for 60 days.
Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Progression in tarot

Postby Oakapple » 23 Nov 2017, 17:48

My daughter started out with tarot when she was about 16 and she was recommended this one which served her well at the time.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/jonathan-dee/

She is coming back to it after about 10 years and they seem a bit basic to her.
Could anyone recommend a good deck she could progress to? She would like pretty artwork but with clear imagery. Thanks in advance!

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: Progression in tarot

Postby Heddwen » 23 Nov 2017, 19:09

I love the images in the Druidcraft Tarot, they are beautiful and definitely compliment the OBODs courses, if she's taking them. My one reservation in a lot of tarot decks is the size of the cards. I only have small hands and therefore can't shuffle very well, that's why I'm looking forward to (hopefully) receiving OBOD member and Anglesey Druid Order Heads Kristoffer Hughes 'The Celtic Tarot' based on the characters in the Mabinogi and welsh myths....the cars are hand size apparently, so wha\t's not to like!

daerwin
OBOD Bard

Postby daerwin » 23 Nov 2017, 19:18

I know what you mean about the size of the cards - I love the DruidCraft deck, but even I have trouble shuffling the cards, and I don't exactly have small hands :o
᚛ᚇᚙᚏᚃᚔᚅ᚜
Suffer the winter's harsh winds, for it bears aloft the seeds of summer

Waldfrau
OBOD Bard

Postby Waldfrau » 23 Nov 2017, 21:00

I love the Robin Wood Tarot. It's based on Raider-Waite, but the artist has her own interpretations. I'd strongly recommend to also buy the guide book where she explains why she painted this and that (she goes a lot into the symbolism and colors).

ZavieBelle
OBOD Bard

Postby ZavieBelle » 23 Nov 2017, 21:36

I struggle with the size of the Druidcraft deck too, even though I adore the imagery.

My favorite deck is the Mythic tarot. Very similar to Rider-Waite in some respects, but the images speak to me more. I dislike the reprint, the images fall flat. But the original is beautiful and very intuitive.

I've also been working with the Wild Unknown which I think I like.

Return to “The Hearthfire”