Which native language should I choose to learn?

This is a forum for serious discussions and debate on Celtic linguistics and other scholarly topics regardic Celtic history and culture. Questions are welcome and those forum members who are knowledgeable in this field will do their best to provide questioners with accurate, verifiable answers or help them locate the answers for themselves. Opinions are welcome also, but it must be made clear that any unreferenced statements are the poster's own opinion and not necessarily historical fact. Be ready to cite sources for any assertions you may make.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Which native language should I choose to learn?

Postby Boadicea » 28 Jun 2013, 06:42

I'm planning on taking some courses in the native tongues of the Druids. I want to get as close as I can to what the real thing once was. So, from between Breton, Welsh, Irish, Gaelic, and Cornish, which should I start out with first? Which would be the most helpful? Probably Welsh, right? - Since a lot of the vocabulary in the gwersi courses are in Welsh... Just wanted some validation and feedback.

Thank you,

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Re: Which native language should I choose to learn?

Postby skydove » 28 Jun 2013, 08:50

https://site.saysomethingin.com/communi ... /home-cyen

I've found this free site really useful for Welsh.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Postby Boadicea » 28 Jun 2013, 09:44

Thank you! :)

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 28 Jun 2013, 11:08

I was just about to post the same link as Skydove! It is a cool site. :cloud9:
As for which to learn first. Are you thinking of visiting any of those places? That could be a factor. Which one are you drawn to? Have a look at some of the places on the Internet. Does one appeal more than the others?
Really it doesn't matter where you start. Maybe try out a few from the link above and then decide.
Let us know how you get on :)

kukl

Postby kukl » 28 Jun 2013, 12:33

Good luck with the learning.
I love this story of a Welsh road sign getting translated.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7702913.stm :grin:
And I dreamed I saw the bombers riding shotgun in the sky, and they where turning into butterflies above our nation. Joni Mitchell

Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Postby Boadicea » 28 Jun 2013, 23:45

I would say I'm most drawn to Welsh and Gaelic. I'd been thinking about Gaelic because I'd like to learn the language that is the root of all of these other languages so that I might have understanding of all of them. For example, in grade school I took six years of French and although I can't entirely understand Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/Latin, I can understand a lot of each of them when they're written down because I can see the roots. I like Welsh because my family's ancestry is Welsh British. Do any of you know what the underlying root language is for the majority of British tongues? I was thinking about buying something like Rosetta Stone and really putting in time to truly learn to read, write and speak the language. As for a desired location, well, I'd love to live in the UK someday but I doubt that will happen anytime soon :p

Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Postby Boadicea » 28 Jun 2013, 23:47

I've been working on the term sheet and pronunciation CD that comes with the Bardic grade. The silent letters are OUT OF THIS WORLD! Of course, now I know how foreigners must feel when they're learning English. The other day a German guy said to me, good nig-hit! He was trying to pronounce, "night." Lol.

vanillabrite
OBOD Bard

Postby vanillabrite » 01 Sep 2013, 22:44

The root language for Welsh is Brythonic, which comes from what scholars call Common Celtic. Since we have no written records of either Brythonic or Celtic and what we do have of each is theoretical (in the same way that gravity is), you would be hard pressed to learn either of those roots! Welsh, Cornish, and Breton are all very closely related; they're the "P-Celtic" branch of the extant Celtic languages. The other side the "Q-Celtic" languages, include Irish, Gaelic, and Manx, which all come from Old Irish (which, trust me, you don't want to learn, it's a MONSTER!). Gaulish - long dead - is related, as well as a couple of other languages which we have very little remaining of.

Welsh is a good one, though, and there are a lot of resources out there for it. The Rosetta Stone, while great for some languages, is particularly tricky with Celtic languages as it doesn't explain a lot of the grammar, and you'll be left going, Huh? more often than you would otherwise. Do you want some book recommendations?

That is a good link, but Welsh is a tough language to learn :), so don't feel to disheartened if it gets scary. Pob lwc!

~Vanillabrite

Art
OBOD Druid

Postby Art » 01 Sep 2013, 22:58

Not to mention that Welsh is the most widely spoken of the existing Celtic languages. There is more literature available (and being written) in Welsh than any of the others by a long shot, and Welsh is spoken in more places around the world than any of the other Celtic languages. There's even a corner of Ohio where you can find a wee bit of Welsh spoken to this day. ;)

vanillabrite
OBOD Bard

Postby vanillabrite » 01 Sep 2013, 23:28

Also, learning one of them will not connect you to the others like French does to the other romance languages, unfortunately. And Gaelic isn't the root language; it's relatively modern, in terms of language development. If you learned Gaelic, you'd have some understanding of Irish and Manx, though. If you learn Welsh, you'll have some understanding of Breton and Cornish, but mostly only in terms of how the grammar works. There are a few loan words, but the orthography is completely different from one Celtic language to another.

And yes, Welsh does have the most publication going right now, I think. It's considered a bit of a minority language success story; it was able to put so much emphasis on the language that it's making a drastic come-back. Living here, you can do things bilingually in most places, which is unheard of in any of the other Celtic language speaking areas (though there are a couple of areas of Scotland [mostly on the isles] and Ireland [mostly in the West, though a bit in the south too] where you can do a lot in the native tongue). But to be able to conduct your business, banking, school, etc all through the medium of a Celtic language? Welsh is where it's at :). It is also the most phonetic of the 6 remaining, once you can wrap your tongue around the sounds (have fun with "ll"!).

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 02 Sep 2013, 09:15

I would say Welsh, which is orthographically and phonologically simpler than Gaelic.

But personally I have forgone Welsh in favour of Scottish Gaelic (closer to my ancestral roots), ho hum. :roll:

J1Star
OBOD Bard

Postby J1Star » 14 Nov 2013, 15:53

I was going to post a topic with a similar question to this! I am looking to learn the language most 'useful' as it were, perhaps a language I could participate in learning with others here. From what I gather, Welsh is 'the answer'. It's a shame all of these languages are so uncommon so it'd be good to do a bit of reviving :)

Old_Druid

Postby Old_Druid » 14 Nov 2013, 19:31

If you Hero's are going to try and learn welsh - I'll try to help as well.
ALL old languages that are dying need to be saved imo.

but I drink, and my drain is bramaged a wee bit.
But I've got a lot of Light and Love for all of you.
:)
please keep me informed

Awen
I have had no masters, no fencing teachers. I would like to describe the true core of swordsmanship which I have fathomed through my two-sword fencing style in this book, not by quoting Buddhism or Confucianism, not by alluding to historical events or wars, but only by appealing to the goddess of Mercy and to the Goddess of the Sun....
- Musashi from the Miyamoto Province

Ywen
OBOD Bard

Postby Ywen » 14 Nov 2013, 23:21

I learned to speak Welsh when I lived in North Wales years ago. I'm kicking myself for throwing away all my course materials when I went to work overseas because I've forgotten quite a lot & am stuck in England for the forseeable (I'm hoping to move back someday). I find watching S4C really helpful for remembering all the stuff I've forgotten & it's a really useful resource for new learners to hear it spoken in 'real life' rather than just on tuition CDs. Maybe it's available online for overseas people? I didn't find it too hard to learn although the grammar was a bit of a 'mare at first :)

Wolf Dreamer
OBOD Druid

Postby Wolf Dreamer » 15 Nov 2013, 17:26

I've just started to learn Irish Gaelic, since my ancestors lived in the West of Ireland. I discovered a website http://www.bitesizeirishgaelic.com and so far I'm really liking it. They have a 21 day free trial and they don't ask for a credit card. I found a few Irish radio station online where I can listen to the language, which is helpful as a beginner to get a sense of the sound of it. I hope that by learning Irish that I will get more in touch with Celtic culture and my ancestors. I'm teaching my two year old son too as I go a long. It would be so cool if he grew up knowing the language of his ancestors!

Wolf Dreamer
"Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss you
put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while
waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.
If you follow your bliss, doors will open that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

- Joseph Campbell

Return to “Celtic Studies”