EXCARNATION

This is a forum for serious discussions and debate on Celtic linguistics and other scholarly topics regardic Celtic history and culture. Questions are welcome and those forum members who are knowledgeable in this field will do their best to provide questioners with accurate, verifiable answers or help them locate the answers for themselves. Opinions are welcome also, but it must be made clear that any unreferenced statements are the poster's own opinion and not necessarily historical fact. Be ready to cite sources for any assertions you may make.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
bolgios

EXCARNATION

Postby bolgios » 06 Sep 2013, 10:52

The Celtic practice of 'Exposing the Bodies':

http://balkancelts.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... carnation/

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Re: EXCARNATION

Postby Mountainheart » 06 Sep 2013, 13:21

Interesting, thanks.

I wonder if the Tower of Silence is where the Wicker Man myth developed from.

Thx
David

Cerys
OBOD Bard

Postby Cerys » 06 Sep 2013, 15:58

Very interesting indeed! I've always thought the idea of giving the body back to the elements and gods/spirits through excarnation fascinating. Buddhist monks in Tibet still practice this I believe.

The archaeologists seem to indicate that this practice does not predate the 1st-2nd century CE here which leads to some really interesting questions like:

1) Did the neighboring Belgae tribe have anything to do with this (I believe the Belgae were the tribe responsible for the Tower of Silence)? If so, was this kind of burial something you only did to your vanquished enemies? The fact that skulls seem to be present might suggest otherwise.

2) Did the Romans have anything to do with this since they invaded this area, I think, in about 50 CE?

bolgios

Postby bolgios » 06 Sep 2013, 16:49

Although the latest English site is dated 1st/2nd c. AD, this practice is recorded across Europe from the 4th c. BC onwards. It is most common in areas where the presence of the Belgae tribes is recorded:

http://balkancelts.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... s-of-prey/

Cerys
OBOD Bard

Postby Cerys » 07 Sep 2013, 15:25

Great! Thanks for the reference.

So, generally speaking, it seems that excarnation with head is performed by the tribe for its members and excarnation without the head (Tower of Silence) is something done to one's enemies? I wonder if excarnation, "honorable" or otherwise, was reserved for certain members of the community. Will have to read up on it.

I like the idea of going back to the elements in such an immediate fashion. I doubt most people would be thrilled with excarnation these days -- but biodegradable coffins are apparently on the rise:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/magaz ... offin.html?/

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 08 Sep 2013, 15:11

Thank you for sharing. I visited the area a few months back, and in a meditation atop the Westkenneth Longbarrow the image of "air-burials" came to me. The idea of the sorted bones in the gravechambers somehow "clicked", but I dismissed it as an non-significant image pulled up into my memory by association since as far as I knew there were no air-burials in that region. This gives some more dept to this experience. I'll study it further.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 08 Sep 2013, 21:56

googling Tower of Silence really brings you down some creepy wormholes!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 14 Sep 2013, 15:27

ofcourse the first thing one does after such a comment is google "tower of silence" and search for creepiness :grin:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Return to “Celtic Studies”