Bog Bodies Are Kings Sacrificed by Celts, says expert

This is a forum for serious discussions and debate on Celtic linguistics and other scholarly topics regardic Celtic history and culture. Questions are welcome and those forum members who are knowledgeable in this field will do their best to provide questioners with accurate, verifiable answers or help them locate the answers for themselves. Opinions are welcome also, but it must be made clear that any unreferenced statements are the poster's own opinion and not necessarily historical fact. Be ready to cite sources for any assertions you may make.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
SlaineDella
OBOD Bard

Re: Bog Bodies Are Kings Sacrificed by Celts, says expert

Postby SlaineDella » 31 Mar 2015, 11:13

Indeed. And oddly one reason that i am not always convinced about other "truths" in his writings that were not criticised at the time. There were things that were simply accepted by the Senate without critique. All gods being Roman gods being simply one of them - even when they "borrowed" other tribes gods :) Copied, of course, later by Christianity - even if in that case it simply turned those it liked into saints and those it did not into demons. Although, especially in Ireland, this allowed many of the old gods to be found easily later on.

I would have to agree with you completely, and something that remains a major irritation to me, is the success of Roman colonization - firstly as a military force and later as a religious force. And inturn, the inadvertent success of ancient Greek "colonization" due to the fascination that both versions of the Roman colonizers had with it. Should you wish to study Greek mythology at a distance and from an accredited university, you could find a course online within a few minutes, among a bewildering amount of different possibilities. Should you attempt to do the same with "Celtic" mythology you might find less of a choice - if any. And don't get me started on the fact that if one must, believing in one god is acceptable but polytheism is not only "primitive" thought but not taken seriously at all. In both versions, Roman (and in a real sense ancient Greek) philosophical, political, religious and intellectual colonization has perhaps been the most successful in the history of the planet.
I wonder if we can make a case for reparations against the Italian state?
Definitely. Sadly I don't think the Italian economy could afford it at the moment :)

Return to “Celtic Studies”