The Druid Prayer in Welsh

Subforum for Welsh language studies and posts.
phoenix_rising
OBOD Bard

The Druid Prayer in Welsh

Postby phoenix_rising » 25 May 2011, 17:56

Hey everyone,

I am studying Welsh and have been hoping that the Welsh speakers in the Order have posted some translations of the prayers, rituals, invocations, etcetera, but have found none. In my own search I just happened to stumble upon the Welsh website for the Gorsedd y Beirdd and found that they use the Druid Prayer as one of their opening prayers.

I thought I should post that for any other people interested in practicing Druidry in Welsh.

Enjoy!

Dyro Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd nerth;
ac yn nerth,deall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac yng ngwybod, gwybod y cyfiawn;
ac yng ngwybod y cyfiawn, ei garu;
ac o garu, caru pob hanfod;
ac ym mhob hanfod, caru Duw;
Duw a phob daioni.

http://www.gorsedd.org/hanes.php

Some notes:

Dduw is a soft mutation for "Duw" which means God (the Christian one since it is capitalized). If you have made any changes to the English version presented in Gwers I with respect to the "God/Goddess/Spirit" part, all you'll really need to change is that one word at the beginning and in the last two lines.

Since they mutated the first Duw --> Dduw, remember to mutate your substituted word with the soft mutation (treiglad meddal):

P > B
T > D
C > G
B > F
D > Dd
G > omitted
Ll > L
M > F
Rh > R

For specifics on Welsh pronunciation I recommend any interested learners to check out the FREE BBC Big Welsh Challenge video course at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh/b ... challenge/

The information is in the "Helpful Notes" section under any of the lessons.

If you're interested in learning to speak Welsh, I recommend that you forgo the Big Welsh Challenge video course and instead try the "Say Something In Welsh Audio Course". This course also provides both dialects: North and South and it focuses on using Welsh and speaking it, rather than memorizing words and translations. Trust me, you'll get much further and feel more confident with this than the BBC course.

http://www.saysomethinginwelsh.com/home/

It's great!

Hope this helps you all.

Devon /I\
Austin, Texas, USA

Kris
OBOD Druid

Re: The Druid Prayer in Welsh

Postby Kris » 13 Jun 2011, 18:12

Hi Devon,

My rituals are mostly conducted in Welsh, the language by which I converse with the Gods is Welsh. Alas, there are not many of us. The Welsh speakers that I know of are not members of OBOD, there are plenty of Welsh Druids out there, they are just not all in here alas.

The Gorsedd prayer that you have posted is the same one that we use although we omit the word "Duw" and replace it with either Duwiau or ysbrydion thus:

Dyrwch Duwie', eich nawdd;
ac yn nawdd nerth;
ac yn nerth,deall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac yng ngwybod, gwybod y cyfiawn;
ac yng ngwybod y cyfiawn, ei garu;
ac o garu, caru pob hanfod;
ac ym mhob hanfod, cariad y duwiau;
Natur a phob daioni.

We also use:

(Enter name of god or goddess) rho nerth,
Ag o nerth, pwyll,
Ag o pwyll, gwybod,
Ag o wybod, gwybod y cyfiawn,
Ag o'r cyfiawn, ei garu;
Ag o garu, caru phopeth,
Ac yngharu pob peth, caru'r hanfod a holl ddaioni.

(enter name of god or goddess) impart strength,
and in that strength, reason,
And in reason, knowledge,
And in knowledge, the knowledge of all,
And in that knowing, the love of it,
And in that love, the love of all things,,
And in the love of all things, the love of the universe and all goodness.

Best,
kris

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 14 Jun 2011, 10:35

Kris wrote:Hi Devon,

My rituals are mostly conducted in Welsh, the language by which I converse with the Gods is Welsh. Alas, there are not many of us. The Welsh speakers that I know of are not members of OBOD, there are plenty of Welsh Druids out there, they are just not all in here alas.

Well there are a few OBOD Druids that are learning Welsh (I'm a very slow learner when it comes to languages but I am trying) but buying a beer or asking for directions is one thing and making a good translation of ritual is very much another. Given time and encouragement there could be far more Welsh-speaking Druids around here but it is a big hill to climb.

Kris
OBOD Druid

Postby Kris » 14 Jun 2011, 12:41

Yes, I have come across a few folk who are learning Welsh.

Alas, the we Welsh in general are not particularly interested in the old traditions of this land. One would think, owing to our heritage and history that the country would be breeming with Welsh speaking Druids - alas it couldn't be further from the truth. Shame really.

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Postby Dysgwr » 17 Aug 2011, 09:10

Diolch yn fawr iawn am hynnu, Phoenix a Kris
Thanks for that Phoenix and Kris,

I started a thread a while back trying to build up a basic vocabulary (geiriadur) that would let learners start using more Welsh in their spiritual work, but unfortunately there are lots of views and few additions.

I'd still like to use more and more... Druidry is what prompted me to investigate my Welsh past, and coupled with my love of the country and people its somthing I started to learn. Although its not all that practical in daily life, as I live in Spain, for me its an anchor to my past and the past of my people.

Pob hwyl
Terry
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 24 Dec 2011, 15:23

A version of the Druid prayer (as in my signature line)
I would love to learn the language, I however would be the only one I know who would speak it :warm:

Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 25 Jan 2016, 19:38

I recently listened to DruidCast #91 and was completely enchanted by Kristoffer Hughes’ recitation of the Druid Prayer in Welsh (which occurs a bit over 20 minutes into the recording).

Kristoffer’s phrasing in that interview differs somewhat from the versions provided on this thread and elsewhere. I am very new to Welsh and would like to learn the prayer as it is presented in the podcast. I’ve attempted to write the words below and am wondering if anyone who is fluent in Welsh could kindly correct any errors in my transcription, please? I would be very grateful for your assistance.

Dyro o Ysbryd dy nawdd
Ag yn nawdd, nerth
Ag yn nerth, deall
Ag yn deall, gwybod
Ag yn gwybod, gwybod y cyfiawn
Ag yn gwybod y cyfiawn, ei garu
Ag yn ei garu, cariad yr Ysbryd
A holl a hanfod.
“Herein therefore lies our present problem: to find forms of expression for the time-spirit of the seasons in such a way as to enrich the spirit of devotion to the soil, to express and to intensify co-operation with nature.”
...—Ross Nichols, “An Examination of Creative Myth,” in The Cosmic Shape (1946)

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 25 Jan 2016, 22:44

Tracy G wrote:I recently listened to DruidCast #91 and was completely enchanted by Kristoffer Hughes’ recitation of the Druid Prayer in Welsh (which occurs a bit over 20 minutes into the recording).

Kristoffer’s phrasing in that interview differs somewhat from the versions provided on this thread and elsewhere. I am very new to Welsh and would like to learn the prayer as it is presented in the podcast. I’ve attempted to write the words below and am wondering if anyone who is fluent in Welsh could kindly correct any errors in my transcription, please? I would be very grateful for your assistance.

Dyro o Ysbryd dy nawdd
Ag yn nawdd, nerth
Ag yn nerth, deall
Ag yn deall, gwybod
Ag yn gwybod, gwybod y cyfiawn
Ag yn gwybod y cyfiawn, ei garu
Ag yn ei garu, cariad yr Ysbryd
A holl a hanfod.

Hey Tracy, welcome to the board! Interesting post. I'm a welsh learner, and a welsh learner from mid Wales to boot :grin: The version of the prayer that you have presented is I think with the north Walian dialect. Yes it makes sense according to my children who are fluent. I am also a member of the Anglesey Druid Order as well as OBOD. Kristoffer heads the ADO and during their rituals the druids prayer is sung in both welsh and english. It is absolutely magical. I can highly reccommend it and hope that you hear it sung one day. :)

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 26 Jan 2016, 22:52

Thank you so much, Heddwen! And please pass along my gratitude to your children, for their reassurance that the transcription makes sense.

I’ve never had the opportunity to travel off the continent of North America, and I’d absolutely love to someday be able to hear, in person, Welsh sung by those who sing it well. On YouTube, there is at least one video of the prayer sung at the national eisteddfod. I imagine, though, that experiencing it in Druid ritual must be particularly moving. (Not that I object to the eisteddfod rendition!)

I joined OBOD in May of last year, and I’ve been practicing Druidry in general since 2011, when I embarked on my studies at one of the American orders. While participating in that order, I began an intensive exploration of the Mabinogi. I’ve been meditating upon that work for about four years, and I’ve now reached the point that I need to figure out how to read it in the original language, since I’ve begun to feel frustrated by my dependence upon translations.

So as of this January, I’ve resolved to invest at least two hours per week toward the study and practice of Welsh. Ideally, I’ll be working on that for 20–30 minutes per day for the remainder of the year, at which point I’ll look back and evaluate my progress and decide whether to continue in 2017. I anticipate that learning Middle Welsh well enough to read the Mabinogi will be a monumental task. If I can just manage, though, to break down the goal into sufficiently small and manageable bits…

Certainly it makes sense to start with something more modest, like learning the Druid’s Prayer. Having now taken time to look up each of the prayer’s key words in the Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru, I can see that some of the terms have richer associations in Welsh than in English translation. So although I already say the prayer in English as part of my daily devotions, I’d really like to also be saying it in Welsh at this point, which will allow me to purposefully invoke those additional meanings. Also, I’m possibly a little bit in love with the sound of Ysbryd. I was in the habit of saying, “Grant, O Holy Ones, your protection,” but as soon as I heard Ysbryd, I immediately began saying “Ysbryd” to myself at all sorts of odd times throughout the day, especially while walking outdoors, just because it has felt right to do so. I can’t help but take a fuller breath every time I catch myself doing that. And then I have to chuckle a little, too, as I look around sheepishly to see if anyone else might’ve overheard me. But normally it’s only trees that are within earshot, and they already know I’m a bit of an odd duck.

Anyhow, I’ve been working on that, and have also been attentively practicing pronunciation this month (aided mightily by the very helpful video series from Welsh Plus). I’ve just today finished reading the introduction to D. Simon Evans’ A Grammar of Middle Welsh and will be moving on to the phonology chapter in that next.

I’ll master it eventually, even if it ends up taking about 19 years. Thanks again for your help, because I’d hate to learn the prayer the wrong way, and then have to go back and unlearn the mistakes! No sense making it any harder than it has to be…
“Herein therefore lies our present problem: to find forms of expression for the time-spirit of the seasons in such a way as to enrich the spirit of devotion to the soil, to express and to intensify co-operation with nature.”

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 27 Jan 2016, 09:50

Well, you're much further along into learning welsh than I am :-) .... and I live here! no excuses really. I'm impressed with your diligence. :)

I use 'The Mabinogion - new translation by Sioned Davies' published by Oxford World Classics for my studies as it was recommended as part of the ADO training course and is very easy to follow. Last year I was lucky enough to go to a storytelling of the Mabonogi which was splendid and really got me hooked on the book.
It was a local event and has spurred me on to search for the sacred sites in Wales associated with the book.

Wishing you well in your studies,

Heddwen. :D

Kris
OBOD Druid

Postby Kris » 28 Jan 2016, 15:00

Hi everyone,
How odd that this thread bursts back into life after years of being quiet, on the very day that I record a sound file of the Gorsedd Prayer. Mostly for the benefit of the ADO members, but heck, good for everyone else out there that may well be struggling with matters of poronounciation.
Find the link below to our Youtube video.
Be well,
Kristoffer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmUc5V6zfLA

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 28 Jan 2016, 16:48

Hello Kristoffer,

Hahaha, synchronicity! I love it! Thank you ever so much for recording and posting that video. I’ve now downloaded that to my computer, and I’ll transfer it to my phone today so I can carry it around with me and practice. Your reading of the prayer is very beautiful, and I greatly appreciate it.

Hello again Heddwen,

Heh, I seriously doubt I’m further along in my studies than you are. I haven’t even begun to study the grammar and construction of the language yet. But I have been surprised to discover how many odd bits of vocabulary have sunk into my consciousness osmotically, just through regular study of the Mabinogi. I was watching a Welsh video with subtitles the other day, and I realized I could already pick out at least one word in every second or third sentence. Every time some variation of “celebrate” or “celebration” was spoken, for example, I exclaimed to myself: “Ah! It’s just like Caer Dathyl in the Fourth Branch!” So that’s going to be helpful.

Davies’ book is very, very good, and I do feel blessed to have it. It’s my regular go-to translation, out of the five translations that I have at hand—I tend to use the others as backups. The work that I’m doing with the Mabinogi is largely an analysis of the author’s use of astronomical allegory. I believe the celestial symbols constitute, among other things, a lightly concealed set of keys that potentially provide one means of access to the greater mysteries and spiritual meanings of these legends. At least, that is how they are working for me. Perceiving the symbols, however, requires a basic knowledge of the motions of the celestial sphere and also the Ptolemaic constellations as they were understood in the twelfth century. And that sort of thing is just not common knowledge today. That’s such a shame, because the basic concepts are not terribly difficult to learn, and learning them helps to put us into a deeper relationship with the cycles of nature as they are expressed in the skies above us. So I am writing a series of articles (the second of which is forthcoming in June) to show people how to better understand the material in that way.

Because my analysis is heavily dependent on contextual clues and the precise manner in which language is employed in the legends, though, it is occasionally a problem that I have to rely upon translations. Over the past year, I’ve discovered that several of the etymologies and word meanings that I was taught through the Druid tradition would not actually be considered valid from a scholarly standpoint, although it could be argued that they still have validity from a visionary standpoint. I am sensing that if I want my ideas to blossom further, it’s not quite good enough only to access the latter—I will also need to gain more mastery over the former.

That’s going off-topic for this thread, probably, but that’s what I’m working on. I’m glad to be getting off to a semi-respectable start now by memorizing and practicing the prayer! This is giving me a little anchor to cling to, so I don’t get overwhelmed by the magnitude of this goal. It’s not like I have any special academic credentials or even much language learning experience—I’m a massage therapist with about 30 years of experience as an amateur astronomer. And the Mabinogi (and also now some of the Taliesin material) just sort of sneaked into my life and has become my hidden passion. It’s been an odd but delightful experience. This literature is just so rich in multi-layered meanings that I don’t see myself losing interest any time soon.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 28 Jan 2016, 20:04

Well, you're doing very well in it and I like the way that you are tying your studies in with the mythology. It makes the whole thing come alive :wink:

Pob lwc for the rest of your literary adventures :grin:

Heddwen :)

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 29 Mar 2016, 14:34

hnoor0055 wrote:The work that I’m doing with the Mabinogi is largely an analysis of the author’s use of astronomical allegory. I believe the celestial symbols constitute, among other things, a lightly concealed set of keys that potentially provide one means of access to the greater mysteries and spiritual meanings of these legends. At least, that is how they are working for me. Perceiving the symbols, however, requires a basic knowledge of the motions of the celestial sphere and also the Ptolemaic constellations as they were understood in the twelfth century.

welcome to the OBOD board, hnoor0055 :)

sionnach84
OBOD Bard

Postby sionnach84 » 29 Mar 2016, 21:17

I am learning Irish and Welsh. I like both languages but I do enjoy Welsh more. I like the way it sounds. I plan to keep learning both and to translate any works I may create in English to both languages. I would also love to add the Welsh and Irish language into my rituals. When I do speak both languages I feel a stronger connection to my path and ancestors. I know I will need help in translating and I am very new to the Welsh language. I have been studying Irish for a while but I have been trying to find other speakers in both languages to converse with so I can expand my knowledge. Great thread!

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 01 Apr 2016, 14:46

Hello, Sionnach, learning two languages at once sounds tricky! I admire your mettle.

A few years ago, I took up a very basic course in Icelandic. I found that every time I did not yet know the proper Icelandic word for something, my mind kept wanting to mix in some French (French being the one other language, aside from English, in which I am semi-fluent).

Now that I'm making a little progress on Welsh, my brain seems determined to speak Francolandic!

IsabelC
OBOD Ovate
Location: Northern California, WAY above the Bay Area in in the Great Sacramento Valley

Postby IsabelC » 16 May 2017, 18:39

In our personal rituals we start out with "Grant oh Ancient Ones"...that sort of encompasses everybody :)
Still working on the Welsh though!

Thanks Kristoffer for all of your work! <3
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, 
finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything. I would not change it. -Shakespeare
ImageImage

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 16 May 2017, 23:39

“O Ancient Ones” is lovely phrasing, Isabel! I like it. :)

Heddwen wrote:…Kristoffer heads the ADO and during their rituals the druids prayer is sung in both welsh and english. It is absolutely magical. I can highly recommend it and hope that you hear it sung one day.

That was a wonderful, magical wish that you made for me, Heddwen. It actually came true. Kristoffer led us in singing the prayer during the Alban Eilir ceremony at the 2017 Gulf Coast Gathering. His singing voice is absolutely beautiful—I had no idea. That whole experience, the experience of finally being able to participate in a group OBOD ritual, surrounded by so many good-hearted and immensely talented people, just about reduced to me to tears of joy. :cloud9:

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 17 May 2017, 09:13

Tracy G wrote:“O Ancient Ones” is lovely phrasing, Isabel! I like it. :)

Heddwen wrote:…Kristoffer heads the ADO and during their rituals the druids prayer is sung in both welsh and english. It is absolutely magical. I can highly recommend it and hope that you hear it sung one day.

That was a wonderful, magical wish that you made for me, Heddwen. It actually came true. Kristoffer led us in singing the prayer during the Alban Eilir ceremony at the 2017 Gulf Coast Gathering. His singing voice is absolutely beautiful—I had no idea. That whole experience, the experience of finally being able to participate in a group OBOD ritual, surrounded by so many good-hearted and immensely talented people, just about reduced to me to tears of joy. :cloud9:

That's lovely, Tracy G. I'm looking forward to singing it again soon at Bryn Celli Ddu burial chamber which is aligned to the summer solstice sunrise. :)

Return to “Welsh”