new here

Subforum for Welsh language studies and posts.
Bel

new here

Postby Bel » 27 Jun 2006, 10:16

Hi,

I am a new member and seeking direction.  The website and message board are a bit overwhelming.  Great, but huge and I am feeling a little lost.

I believe I have a calling to druidry and need to know more and especially want to be put in touch with like minded people in my area - S Wales UK.

A bit about me
I am  39 yr old, soon to be divorced, mother of three.  I am a 2nd yr student homeopath and breastfeeding councelor.
I was born and brought up in Senghenydd, S Wales which has some ancient history surrounding it.  I was born on 31st October 1966 and always felt my birthday was significant.  As a child I had a yearning and leaning towards mysticism, which developed into the way I parented my babies and eventually led me to homeopathy and energy medicines.
I was "re-drawn" to druidry after reading Manda Scotts books about Boudica.  A life changing experience for me.
I wanted to meet my animal totem and went to an ancient site near my home (4000 yr old megalithic burial tomb).  It was full moon that night but I went in the day.  I dowse with crystals too so I did a bit of that and asked the ancients for healing and found very strong connections.  I was going through a bad time right then and knew that ending my 16 yr marriage was inevitable.  I took my goddess cards and drew the goddess Cerridwen, and as I emerged I met my animal totem.  there were 3 buzzards circling the air above me.  I followed them and watched them from some trees and realised the trees I was taking cover in were hawthorn and holly.
At home I interpreted everything as signs of death and rebirth which was realy significant for me.  I was astounded.
Our college summer school followed and the whole weekend involved rituals of some kind and I felt re-born when I walked through a fire maze.  Someone from college had drawn a spiral on the dirty rear window of my car and I noticed it on the drive home and it cheered me.
I use the druid animal oracle card set too and get good results every time.

So..........  if all that makes sense to someone, I would love to hear more and be pointed in the right direction to continue my re-birthing experience .

Thanks for reading

Mamma

~*Blackbird*~
OBOD Bard

Re: new here

Postby ~*Blackbird*~ » 28 Jul 2006, 13:53

Hello Mamma :)

Good to see you here (it's Fey from PN forums).Seems we've both been called here!
It's very comforting to read your post-first of all to have someone so near and with the same sort of interests.I've read the first Boudica book by Manda Scott and thought it was very good-just need the time to read the rest!:P You might want to try the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier (1st book is called Daughter of the Forest) which are based in ancient Ireland and full of magic,mystery and heavily involved in the ancient Druids of that time-one of the characters becomes a Druid.You'd love them I'm sure.(I'm re-reading for the 4th time because they are astounding and were very influential for me!)
Senghenydd is near Nelson isn't it?My grandparents live in Nelson.I think they took me and my brother to Senghenydd when we were small but I can't remember much.I'd dearly love to visit the burial tomb though-it sounds amazing!Is it easy to find?Perhaps my grandparents will know something about it.
Your experience sounds wonderful and I'm kind of in the same situation.Shrugging off the old and donning the new so to speak.I consulted my runes yesterday and they confirmed that I was going through a kind of re-birth-letting go of old ways and and past events and setting out on a new path,being true to myself which couldn't be more true.I had a rough time for a few months where I abandoned Paganism,got caught up in a bad relationship,lost myself,had an operation,messed up uni work and basically went through a lot of stress and hardship.Then with some help from fantastic beautiful friends I ended the relationship,I sorted myself out and I came back to my Paganism where I belong.I am now feeling much more clear minded and have never felt so content with myself and the world.I really am having a fresh start and taking my spirituality seriously which is why I'm here seeking knowledge and people to guide me.
As a newbie myself I can't offer you much help other than give you people's recommendations of books-I'm in the middle of reading 'Living Druidry' by Emma Restall Orr-so far so good-does inspire a lot.
Also Phillip Carr Gomm and Caitlin Matthews
Spirits of the Sacred Grove by Emma Restall Orr
Book of Druidry by Ross Nicols
Elements of the Druid Tradition by Carr Gorr.
All have been recommended to me but haven't had chance to read them all yet so can't tell you how good they are.Other than that read up on the history of Druids,Celts,Britain etc.Go out into nature and just feel,give thanks,pray,give offerings,ask for help etc.Follow your heart.
Lastly continue posting on this site.From what I've seen there are plenty of willing people here to help with any query you have and there is lots of valuable info to be found here.Theres also BDO and Druid Network to have a nosey around in.
As for finding people in your area,I'm not far away from you at all-I live in Pontypridd when I'm home from uni (otherwise I'm only up in Aberystwyth) and I'm still trying to get hold of the Llwyn Bedwen Grove so watch this space!I bet there are plenty more people here aswell who live near us.(If you join Druid Network for £10 a year you're able to look up members of your area and contact different people to book workshops,events and rituals and whole load of other good stuff).

Anyway,I hope this helps you despite my limitations!
Always here to help,

Sam
Hi,

I am a new member and seeking direction.  The website and message board are a bit overwhelming.  Great, but huge and I am feeling a little lost.

I believe I have a calling to druidry and need to know more and especially want to be put in touch with like minded people in my area - S Wales UK.

A bit about me
I am  39 yr old, soon to be divorced, mother of three.  I am a 2nd yr student homeopath and breastfeeding councelor.
I was born and brought up in Senghenydd, S Wales which has some ancient history surrounding it.  I was born on 31st October 1966 and always felt my birthday was significant.  As a child I had a yearning and leaning towards mysticism, which developed into the way I parented my babies and eventually led me to homeopathy and energy medicines.
I was "re-drawn" to druidry after reading Manda Scotts books about Boudica.  A life changing experience for me.
I wanted to meet my animal totem and went to an ancient site near my home (4000 yr old megalithic burial tomb).  It was full moon that night but I went in the day.  I dowse with crystals too so I did a bit of that and asked the ancients for healing and found very strong connections.  I was going through a bad time right then and knew that ending my 16 yr marriage was inevitable.  I took my goddess cards and drew the goddess Cerridwen, and as I emerged I met my animal totem.  there were 3 buzzards circling the air above me.  I followed them and watched them from some trees and realised the trees I was taking cover in were hawthorn and holly.
At home I interpreted everything as signs of death and rebirth which was realy significant for me.  I was astounded.
Our college summer school followed and the whole weekend involved rituals of some kind and I felt re-born when I walked through a fire maze.  Someone from college had drawn a spiral on the dirty rear window of my car and I noticed it on the drive home and it cheered me.
I use the druid animal oracle card set too and get good results every time.

So..........  if all that makes sense to someone, I would love to hear more and be pointed in the right direction to continue my re-birthing experience .

Thanks for reading

Mamma
:D  :D  :D
~*Efo can yn fy ysbryd,a'r heniaeth yn fy ngwaed,rwy'n byw bywyd llawn efo calon Celtaidd*~

Bel

Postby Bel » 28 Jul 2006, 14:28

Well Hello there !  Gald you made it over here.  Yes Senghenydd is joine to Nelson by the mountain but the burail tomb I'm talking about is in The Vale of Glamorgan (I now live in Cardiff).

I'm on my second read of the Boudica books but will look up the ones you have suggested.  Thanks for that.

I am also a member of druid network but still havent found any groups though there is a thread with about 30 druid groups listed on the PN.

Pm me if you'd like to speak on msn.
formerly known as Mamma

Bel

Postby Bel » 28 Jul 2006, 14:30

Forgot to say I'm going to the Lammas celebrations in Cardiff on Sunday as advertised on the PN if you want to tag along tho I believe the venue has changed, everybody is still meeting at Dempseys at 4pm.
formerly known as Mamma

~*Blackbird*~
OBOD Bard

Postby ~*Blackbird*~ » 28 Jul 2006, 23:40

Yes it's good to be here :)

Ah right ok-Burail tomb-is that the name of it?Can I find it by that name?

It's crazy not to find groups down here-as far as I know theres the Anglesey group and Llwyn Bedwyn group in the whole of Wales!No way I refuse to believe that lol.Fingers crossed that someone will show mercy on two beginners,I'd love some guidance :(

I will join the Druid network as soon as I have the cash to do so!(Being a student makes life fantastic but poor lol).

I was going to go to the Lammas celebration in Cardiff but money is scarce and I have 7 exams looming so I'm pretty much working my butt off :( Please let me know of any events going on in the near future though!I'd love to tag along lol.

Anyways I'll PM you and get chatting to you on msn.

Sam
~*Efo can yn fy ysbryd,a'r heniaeth yn fy ngwaed,rwy'n byw bywyd llawn efo calon Celtaidd*~

Bel

Postby Bel » 29 Jul 2006, 09:05

LOL No !  The name you want is Tinkinswood !

http://www.stonepages.com/wales/tinkinswood.html

Get on M4 towards Cardiff, come off J33 .  Follow A4232 and come off at Culverhouse Cross. Follow signs to Dyffryn Gardens on A48 from Culverhouse Cross.  Tinkinswood is signposted and is before the Dyffryn House  The other one, St Lythans, is further on that road, pass the entrance to Dyffryn House and gardens up the hill there is a T junction take the left and there it is on your right.  Not very good for parking and entered via an old kiss gate but you have to see it for its full glory.  Enjoy :)  Sorry you cant make it to Cardiff on Sunday.
formerly known as Mamma

Return to “Welsh”