Tylwyth Teg - pronunciation

Subforum for Welsh language studies and posts.
Keriann

Tylwyth Teg - pronunciation

Postby Keriann » 05 May 2007, 13:18

Hey!

Together with friends we decided to strat a project of experimental archeology- a Celtic tribe reenactment. We wanted to find a good name for it and  a few days ago I found a story of Welsh legendary folk called 'Tylwyth Teg'. I started to think about something similar. Tribe of the forest? Maybe 'Tylwyth y Coed'? I am not sure if I wrote it correct in Welsh and- the most important- I have no idea how should I pronunciate this name. If you would help we with this I will be very happy!

Blessings!
Image :oakleaves: :luis: :wolf:

'Nothing is forgotten...
Nothing is ever forgotten...'

tannos
OBOD Ovate

Postby tannos » 06 May 2007, 02:48

th in welsh is like the th in breath, as opposed to the th in breathe, which would be dd. The Y is pronounced like an uh.....but with your mouth open so it kind of sounds like an erm...only withouth the m (this explanation sounded sooo much better in my head).

Sorry try that again...so its like an uh for the first y in Tylwyth and like an i ( as in the continental/latin i not the english one) for the second one...

An E is like in German E (or a bit like the first sound in the English word eh) ..and about as long too.

A w is like an oo. T, G and L are the same as in English...so you get something resembling:

Tuhlooith Tehg

I really hope that helped.
"[Barbara] Do you know who I really hate at the moment?
[Tom] Me?
[Barbara] No, more than you.
[Tom] Who?
[Barbara] That Mother Nature woman. She has a holiday all winter, comes back and bang, wallop goes raving mad!"(The good life series 3 episode 1)

Keriann

Postby Keriann » 06 May 2007, 03:25

Thank you so much! I'm happy that I was in my room alone practicing that :) What about the second part? Y Coed is correct? An how should I say it?

'Nothing is forgotten...

tannos
OBOD Ovate

Postby tannos » 06 May 2007, 15:20

well the why has this uh sound (there is a rule there if you want it)
and the oe is like oi from oil.....C and D are the same as in English...

You do know that Tylwyth is a fairy..or at least it was last time i checked....Ill just do exactly that one mo....ok i sit corrected Tylwyth when it's on its own means family or kinsman or tribe or stuff of that ilk...however Tylwyth Teg are the faeries...
[Tom] Me?
[Tom] Who?
[Barbara] That Mother Nature woman. She has a holiday all winter, comes back and bang, wallop goes raving mad!"(The good life series 3 episode 1)

Keriann

Postby Keriann » 06 May 2007, 15:29

Thanks once again.  Welsh is hard... How did you learn it so good? Congrats!

'Nothing is forgotten...

tannos
OBOD Ovate

Postby tannos » 07 May 2007, 05:14

I acutally didnt find it that hard....I did Dosbarth Nos (Fersiwn y Gogledd) with the books and the tape alone in my bedroom every...tuesay (i think it was) and then Basic Welsh (Routledge) every thursday followed by Intermediate welsh when I'd done.....

once you get over the pronounciation ( which I learned from Teach Yourself Welsh...I copied it loads of times onto a cassette, played it to myself while I went to sleep and left it playing...) the next hurdle is the mutations..I know HOW to mutate just not WHEN!!
[Tom] Me?
[Tom] Who?

Keriann

Postby Keriann » 07 May 2007, 15:10

Well done, you gave me hope, cause I started Irish gaelic about a month ago. Pronunciation almost killed me when I tried all these soft k, h, l ... :) now is a little bit better and- I'm using also Teach Yourself book with tapes. Hmm... tuesdays, ok , can be ;)

'Nothing is forgotten...

tannos
OBOD Ovate

Postby tannos » 08 May 2007, 01:25

Well erm...do you speak Czech???If you do I find languages from that neck of the woods an awful lot harder than Irish (which I also tried...i did "Now Youre Talking Irish" but i need to get back into that!!) or welsh
[Tom] Me?
[Tom] Who?

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 08 May 2007, 20:17

Amazing what you can learn to do if you have a reason to. Canada is bilingual English & French, but I was still a kid when I came to know it not only as Tullah m'un Eische in Irish gaelic, and Terre Neuve in French, but a few years later to say Ich bin ein Newfoundlander in Deutchesprache, and now here I am starting preparation for a move to Wales, and a lovely welsh woman who says she'll teach me her native tongue though her priorities for what order that happens in might not be 'ould you show me the way to the Tesco store first... lol
I also had a Polish penpal back before the wall fell so I have a few bits of rudimentary Polish... He ended up after medical school in Heidelberg coming to Canada to practise medicine! One the profs in my university found so many faculty and students had trouble with Jacek that he told everyone to all him Jack... there were few enough that would attempt Tchuzinski (his surname). We sdpeak many languages, but if we have a reason to want to learn, it will work... Slainte Mthath!
Peter /|\
Love people and use things, NOT use people and love things...

Keriann

Postby Keriann » 08 May 2007, 22:09

Lucky you! I wish I knew a lot of languages well, not only basics.  I still have so much to study at my university that I hardly find time to study something more. So that my language progress is not as fast as I want it to be. Actually- I'm Polish (I don't find this language difficult- it was my first ;)), then I started to learn English- now I can  communicate in it more or less ;) after that.. hmm.. maybe kann ich Deutsch lernen? So I tried - it's not perfect but I had a motivation. I went to Germany to have my summer practice there. Where exactly? In Heidelberg- to practise medicine :) And after that I didn't go to Canada ;) but to Czech Republic where I was forced to learn Czech cause communication in English was pretty problematic.  And now Irish. Maybe it's not difficult but for me it's totally different from anything I knew before. So it will be hard unless I would go to Ireland and somebody would force me to communicate ;)
And... what does it mean 'Mthath'?
Slainte :)

'Nothing is forgotten...

tannos
OBOD Ovate

Postby tannos » 11 May 2007, 02:48

ahhh..you see my gaelic goes as far as ordering a pint of beer and saying hello and how are you and all that......so i have no idea what that word means.

I think with the celtic languages I found a lot of people had a problem because of how they saw the language....If you learn the mutations by heart first then you can learn WHEN to do them, which is something you can also pick up on the way.
[Tom] Me?
[Tom] Who?

Beith

Postby Beith » 11 May 2007, 02:57

hi folks!

the word is maith - it means "good" or "well" and after Sláínte takes an h ...so sláinte mhaith - it means "good health" just as you might say *forgive my english spelling of the polish word Keriann!) "Izdratzvytye" or something like "cheers" when you raise a glass to toast someone.

slán libh (bye to you all!)

Beith

Keriann

Postby Keriann » 13 May 2007, 22:01

Thank you, Beith :) Yes, I remember the world now! It's like in Irish "thank you"- ' Go raibh maith agat', isn't it?  :) "Izdratzvytye"  means propably "cheers"  but in... Russian (or 'hello'- 'zdrastvuytye' in Russian) :) In Polish it's "Na zdrowie" [na zdrovie] which literally means "good health! " :)
Slante!

'Nothing is forgotten...

waleeedijaz

Re: Tylwyth Teg - pronunciation

Postby waleeedijaz » 08 Mar 2016, 13:27

it means "good health" just as you might say *forgive my english spelling of the polish word Keriann!) "Izdratzvytye" or something like "cheers" when you raise a glass to toast someone.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: Tylwyth Teg - pronunciation

Postby Heddwen » 08 Mar 2016, 16:09

it means "good health" just as you might say *forgive my english spelling of the polish word Keriann!) "Izdratzvytye" or something like "cheers" when you raise a glass to toast someone.
welcome to the OBOD Board, waleeedijaz :)

Return to “Welsh”