Welsh Radio

Subforum for Welsh language studies and posts.
Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Welsh Radio

Postby Dysgwr » 16 Aug 2007, 11:33

Is there a radio station in the Welsh language which broadcasta via internet. I'd like to tune in to listen and to help my pronuncition.

Diolch for you help

Terry.
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

~*Blackbird*~
OBOD Bard

Postby ~*Blackbird*~ » 16 Aug 2007, 12:54

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymru/radiocymru/

Wales radio is available to listen to live via the web but the web page and links are all in Welsh and you must have Real Player to listen. If you want to try anyway, once on the page, click on "Gwrando Eto" on the right side of the page and then once you've followed the link, click "Gwrandewch yn fyw" to listen to the live radio show. The links below "Gwrandewch yn fyw" are just past shows so if you want you can click on them to listen to aswell. I have to warn you though, Welsh radio is fast speaking and a lot of the presenters are from North Wales and quite hard to understand! (Even for me).
I'll see if I can find a way for the webpage to be in English for you.

Blackbird
~*Efo can yn fy ysbryd,a'r heniaeth yn fy ngwaed,rwy'n byw bywyd llawn efo calon Celtaidd*~

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Postby Dysgwr » 16 Aug 2007, 13:05

Thanks BlackBird.

I'm not too worried about comprehenion at this point in time. Its just more a wish to start to train my ear to the sounds.

The rest will come with time and patience I hope.
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

ennys
OBOD Bard

Postby ennys » 16 Aug 2007, 13:33

Webradio is a very good way to train your ears indeed! Just listen as often as possible, and you will start to recognize things and be able to understand more and more. Good luck!
Dancing to the music of the Web
Etre ar mor hag an neñv hag an douar

~*Blackbird*~
OBOD Bard

Postby ~*Blackbird*~ » 16 Aug 2007, 14:14

Well I've looked but this is the only verison I can find. Radio Cymru is the only Welsh language radio. There's Radio Wales but that's through the medium of English and this site doesn't come with an English version!

Sorry about that but if you need any help just ask!

Good luck and enjoy :)

Blackbird
~*Efo can yn fy ysbryd,a'r heniaeth yn fy ngwaed,rwy'n byw bywyd llawn efo calon Celtaidd*~

Art
OBOD Druid

Postby Art » 16 Aug 2007, 17:34

Don’t forget the S4C Welsh television site.  The programming is quite good and there are references to quite a few tools for learning Welsh as well.  Just don’t get hung up on one of the series or you’ll find yourself anxiously awaiting the next episode!

http://www.s4c.co.uk/

~*Blackbird*~
OBOD Bard

Postby ~*Blackbird*~ » 16 Aug 2007, 20:43

Excellent I forgot about that :) My friend owes much to his learning to S4C-he's now hooked on Pobol y Cwm lol.

Blackbird

Sanas Cuain
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sanas Cuain » 16 Aug 2007, 23:20

http://www.ramsisle.com/celtic/webradio.htm#Welsh

Radio and podcasts etc in all celtic languages.

Some good resources here..

IRONWILL

Re: Welsh Radio

Postby IRONWILL » 20 Oct 2008, 01:35

Try this website.
Welsh radio for learners

www.radioacen.co.uk

Seren

Postby Seren » 01 Feb 2009, 20:36

There are quite a few Radio Cymru podcasts available through iTunes too. I love listening to them for the sound of the language and occasionally can pick up the odd word!
"Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." - William Shakespeare, "All's Well That Ends Well", Act 1 Scene 1

Aethnen

Postby Aethnen » 04 Feb 2009, 14:11

Ahh, Radio Cymru is a real boon to those who are trying to learn the language ..... in particular listen to the news. It IS hard to listen to and pick up what they're saying though, if you're a learner, so be warned! North Welsh strangles their sounds, and besides all that, it's not much good learning Welsh at a formal level (if you want to speak Welsh to Welsh speakers or understand a word they're saying) because SO much of it is truncated and abbreviated.

A basic and not-so-bad example is "Beth wyt ti isio rwan" (What do you want now?) ..... I never say it like that! Sheesh I'd get funny looks. Instead, say "Be' ti'sio 'wan?" and you'll be understood. And that's how a lot of people seem to speak on Radio Cymru, not to mention they ARE speaking faster than normal due to limited space/time on breaks between shows etc. I have less problem with the North Welsh because that is entirely what I've learned and where I live, how I speak Welsh, etc!!!! It's the South Welsh that get me tickled and befuddled from time to time.

The more you learn and listen btw ... the more you pick up. It is a skill!
http://www.feralpoetry.com --Where poetry returns to the wildness of soul
http://www.mabinogistudy.co.uk --THE only discussion group online dedicated to the Mabinogi
http://www.eadhadeora.org --inspiring transformation and rebirth

"Practically speaking, a life that is vowed to simplicity, appropriate boldness, good humor, gratitude, unstinting work and play, and lots of walking, brings us close to the actually existing world and its wholeness." --Gary Snyder

"Just once let what is in your care, grow wild enough to see the world through its own eyes." --Jason Kirkey

Return to “Welsh”