Gwersi? gwersi?

Subforum for Welsh language studies and posts.
Eilthireach
OBOD Druid

Gwersi? gwersi?

Postby Eilthireach » 18 Jul 2008, 07:57

Hello!

There is the opinion expressed that gwersi would be a 'cringeworthy" mistake and Gwersi is the correct plural of Gwers.

Unfortunately the opinion does not carry further proof.

Can this be confirmed by a Welsh speaker here?

Thank you very much in advance!

Eilthireach /|\.
gwersi is a cringeworthy inaccuracy used mistakenly by the Order of Bards Ovates and Druids (OBOD) instead of the correct Welsh word Gwersi, meaning lessons. The Welsh Language Society have confirmed that the correct spelling and pronunciation is Gwersi, and that gwersi as a word does not and has never existed in Welsh. OBOD produce a distance learning course, which they call the gwersi (aargh!), in the form of booklets and CD's. Through the use of these lessons, druids may learn about their traditions and progress on their spiritual path through the grades of Bard, Ovate and finally Druid.

source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_m ... ord_gwersi

I wish to learn the things that are
and understand their nature
and to know God.
(Corpus Hermeticum I,3)

Ailim
OBOD Druid

Re: Gwersi? gwersi?

Postby Ailim » 18 Jul 2008, 10:04

I was also told similar about a year ago, and have since tried to use gwersi when referring to multiple lessons. I use the singular form of "gwers" for 1 lesson. But would also like to know if I'm using the right terminology please.
Ailim
As we progress on our journey we are changed by it

http://www.pagan-transitions.org.uk
Prison Pagan Chaplain
Member of OBOD, The Druid Network and the Pagan Federation

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 18 Jul 2008, 10:10

Oddly enough I use the word Gwersi in my own notes, journals etc. I don't know why I do that, maybe I picked it up from learning a bit of Welsh and never realised.

serenarian
OBOD Ovate

Postby serenarian » 18 Jul 2008, 14:24

I'm drawing on my AS Level Welsh here for the benefit of the board... :grin: The correct spelling is indeed Gwersi. I think the misspelling of 'gwersi' comes from an adapted spelling of the above word, i.e gwersau, which would also be correct, but only with the 'a'. I believe this is the case although I am far from a fluent Welsh speaker. If anyone could confirm or correct I would be most grateful.
ImageImage

ImageSeminar Speaker September 2008 - http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... 26&t=29469

Image2008 IL

“You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop” – Rumi

http://www.kimblewitchery.co.uk

Eilthireach
OBOD Druid

Postby Eilthireach » 23 Jul 2008, 07:32

Thank you very much Serenarian! :shake:

I'll try to use Gwersi from now on.

Eilthireach /|\.

I wish to learn the things that are
and understand their nature
and to know God.
(Corpus Hermeticum I,3)

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Postby Dysgwr » 13 Aug 2008, 07:22

Might the confusion also come from the fact that both gwersu and gwersi are pronounced the same.

Well they seem to be from the limited Welsh (gogledd Cymru) I'm learning :whistle:
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

ennys
OBOD Bard

Postby ennys » 13 Aug 2008, 09:43

In southern Welsh they are, I thought, but in Northern welsh the 'u' is a different sound...
Dancing to the music of the Web
Etre ar mor hag an neñv hag an douar

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Postby Dysgwr » 13 Aug 2008, 10:46

Me too at first, ennys, but in the books and CDs I used (Cwrs Mynediad) there doesn't seem to be that much variation, to my ear anyway.
ImageImageIL 2013

ennys
OBOD Bard

Postby ennys » 13 Aug 2008, 23:05

really? I have learnt a different pronunciation for both sounds...The u was a very weird pne while the i was just like..a dutch or french i.

But still I am no expert.
Dancing to the music of the Web
Etre ar mor hag an neñv hag an douar

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Postby Dysgwr » 21 Aug 2008, 13:54

Well the pronunciation they give for words ending in -u, like canu(sing) is like the english would pronounce can-knee.

Although I'm just a beginner.
ImageImageIL 2013

Mab-y-meini

Postby Mab-y-meini » 24 Aug 2008, 19:41

I am a fluent Welsh speaker and can assure all of you that there is no such word as gwersi. The correct form of the plural of Gwers is Gwersi. Do not confuse this with the similar pronunciation of "i" and "u" in South Wales, which is a completely different matter. :old:
"Do not all tracks lead to the same great centre?"

Philip
OBOD Druid

Postby Philip » 23 Mar 2010, 17:14

Hello All,

The ADF's motto is 'As Fast as a Speeding Oak' - well I think we should adopt a similar one. When we were initially alerted to the error a few years ago we began correcting all references on the website before moving on to the printed references. About half way through that work we received conflicting advice that the plural was in fact Gwersau as in Eisteddfodau, rather than Gwersi. Now that we have determined that Gwersi is the correct spelling we are instituting a full change in all the printed materials. It will however take several years to allow print stocks to be exhausted and corrections made to new material, but in the meanwhile 'Erratum' slips will be printed to go out in the course material.
Yours beside the warmth of the fire, :warm:
Philip /|\

Bard of the Dawn

Postby Bard of the Dawn » 24 Jun 2010, 11:25

gwersi? I am cringing. It's just plain wrong. There's no difference in pronunciation between north and south in this case.

Nightfalls
OBOD Bard

Postby Nightfalls » 26 Jun 2010, 04:44

ah philip, you beat me to editing the answer. Apparently the one who had the original post on wiki answers did not like obod too much. A shame that some people let personal feelings get in the way of making informed, neutral answers to legitimate questions. Being a southerner in the US and having the southern draw on my vowels i just call them Gwers. I figured trying to find the plural of Gwers would be like trying to find the plural of Moose or Sheep.
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 26 Jun 2010, 14:09

"I figured trying to find the plural of Gwers would be like trying to find the plural of Moose or Sheep."

Lol! Apparently the plural for chicken is actually chickens, but I still say I have some chicken :roll:

John T. Folden
OBOD Bard

Postby John T. Folden » 27 Jun 2010, 00:22

Lol! Apparently the plural for chicken is actually chickens, but I still say I have some chicken :roll:
If they're in your yard it's "chickens", if they're on your plate it's "chicken." :wink:
"All forms of monism - whether in political dictatorships, trade monopolies, or monotheistic spiritualities - are detrimental within all of nature, body and soul. They are born of a need for control and power, and they are sustained by force, oppression and fear. Diversity is crucial to health and sustainability." - Emma Restall Orr

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 27 Jun 2010, 15:36

Yes, I know that. I discovered that a few months ago. And yet I still refer to the plural things in my chicken coop as "chicken". My daily chant is "I'm just going to see the chicken. Even my family do it! I'm not sure if it's an internal family mistake, a colloquialism or something that comes from urbanites being forgetting the rural usage and using the urban supermarket version for living chooks as well.

For some reason when I say "chickens" it feels wrong, like I'm saying sheeps. :shrug: It's that ingrained.

I think I've officially come off topic... :whistle:

Welsh Mythology

Postby Welsh Mythology » 03 Mar 2013, 01:12

In Welsh, the singular is gwers, plural gwersi, not gwersau. gwersi is a mistake, the u denotes a verb, and the correct verb for that kind of thing would be dysgu. Not to worry though, you'll only make Welsh speakers cringe!
Welsh Mythology blog and courses:

http://www.welshmythology.com

. . . and making music:

http://gwilmor.com

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 03 Mar 2013, 03:07

Hi, Welsh Mythology,

What you see here is a very old thread (that I had totally forgotten about!). Prior to March 2010, OBOD referred to its lessons as g w e r s u. When Philip announced that the word we had used was incorrect (see his March 23, 2010, post earlier in this thread) I made an across-the-board edit that changed all instances of the incorrect word to the correct one, i.e., "g w e r s u" to gwersi. Thus it's no longer even possible to write g w e r s u unless you put spaces or periods or something between the letters! Thanks for your input, but we'd actually figured it out a while back and I should have taken this thread down long before now. So I'll go ahead and lock the thread and leave it in place for a bit so everyone can see the most recent posts, then we'll archive it so nobody else will get confused by the (confusing!) wording here!

Welcome to the board, Welsh Mythology, and we look forward to hearing more from you!
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Return to “Welsh”