'From the Cauldron Born' by Kristoffer Hughes

Subforum for Welsh language studies and posts.
the Kite
OBOD Bard

'From the Cauldron Born' by Kristoffer Hughes

Postby the Kite » 04 Feb 2013, 13:31

The Awenydd from Anglesey has done it again! (you might notice I've become a fan)

This book is an in-depth exploration of one of the central mysteries of Druidry, the story of Taliesin. It's been a valuable supplement to the gwersi on the subject. In fact, I regard it as superior, but let's keep that between us, eh? ;) Once again I can find the authentically Welsh roots of Druidry (as distinct from the authentic other roots) and provides both reference points for further research and lots of practical magical stuff to do, from short meditations to a year-long 'tuning-in' to the spirit of Taliesin, if I wanted to follow the path he sets out.

The book's well-written, rich, readable, and honest. Kris' humanity comes through, and his caru am mhob hanfod, love for all existences.

One thing I know he'd want emphasised in any review of his book, however short: connectedness. 'Na fe. There it is.

Kite
Bard to the Bone

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: 'From the Cauldron Born' by Kristoffer Hughes

Postby Heddwen » 04 Feb 2013, 17:15

Thanks for the review, I've just ordered a copy |-)

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 04 Feb 2013, 20:23

Can I second the Kites review, a very well crafted insightful book, written by someone passionate about exploring and feeding the Celtic roots of druidry to help it live within us. Kris makes the stories relavent to our practice today and the book is of interest not only for druids but for anyone interested in the Welsh Celtic myths and working with them.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

Crystal Cat
OBOD Druid

Postby Crystal Cat » 06 Feb 2013, 16:44

It is a superbly written book which speaks personally to the reader. Kris has such an original and yet incredibly insightful approach. The exercises are also very thought provoking. Just love it. :cauldron: :cauldron: :cauldron:

Kris
OBOD Druid

Postby Kris » 12 Feb 2013, 09:19

Thank you so much for your feedback and for the fabulous review Kite. I am deeply humbled and touched by your words, and thoroughly delighted that you have enjoyed my little book.

Kris x

Bris-Eilid
OBOD Ovate

Postby Bris-Eilid » 12 Feb 2013, 16:40

Inspired by my intention to continue exploring the magic and depth of the Taliesin story, following my recent completion of the Bardic grade and move on to Ovate, I ordered Kris's book after reading your reviews and other recommendations.
I'm so happy it's arrived today :D and can't wait to start reading it and working through the exercises! :)
With blessings from the wildwood

ImageImage :runningdeer: :wolf:

LunarLiz

Postby LunarLiz » 05 Apr 2013, 11:00

First book I have bought in 3 years, best book I have ever read. :D Made all the better too because Kris signed it for me at Wyrdfest... :yay: Thank you Kris, it's a real treasure.
Blessed is my lady, Elen of the Ways
She is the one who knows the Leys

Kris
OBOD Druid

Postby Kris » 20 Apr 2013, 21:54

You are welcome Liz. Thank you everybody, for your kind words, they are gratefully and humbly received. xxx

Sanas Cuain
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sanas Cuain » 21 Apr 2013, 09:20

Deep in the mountains of Wales echo the myths, legends and tales of our ancestors, tales retold around winter firesides, short and brief to recount and relay to our children, rarely written down in a full meaningful form we are left wanting more... Kristoffer Hughes has filled that void with his new book from the Cauldron Born!
Very few books other than the actual dissection of ancient texts by academics go into such detail, and in a language, we the reader can understand. It is warm and comfortable, draws you in to mist covered lake shores in the home of many of our forefathers, the land of the Cymru, and leaves you full of the inspiration from the Cauldron! The exercises contained within those pages, are full of wisdom, beauty and knowledge, and will serve the reader to journey through the ritual year our ancestors !

Love love LOVE this book!

Heddwas /|\
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwas /|\ » 15 Jul 2013, 22:16

This is a first-class approach to the material. The interactive / immersive approach to the Taliesin corpus is highly effective and has drawn out multiple new layers of meaning for me. I have to say I think 'From the Cauldron Born' is up there with Graves' 'The White Goddess' and is destined to be a classic. Outstanding!
Blessings,

Heddwas /|\

"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat"

“A mi fûm naw mis haeach yngroth Ceridwen wrach: a mi fûm gynt Wion Bach, eithr Taliesin wyf bellach”.

Return to “Welsh”