Learning Gaelic?

Subforum for Gaelic language studies and posts.
paganbaby

Learning Gaelic?

Postby paganbaby » 03 Jul 2007, 16:28

I was wondering how you went about learning Gaelic, i have no one around me who speaks it and cant seem to find anything worth reading online.

Does anyone know how i can go about it?

Being Scottish you would think we would be taught it but nope we werent, any advise is welcomed!
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Beith

Postby Beith » 03 Jul 2007, 16:45

Paganbaby, if you contact your local libary they probably have info on courses in your area. Glasgow I'm sure is teeming with day/night courses in Scots Gaelic for those who are interested to do a taught course. Universities often run such things too, in addition to distance learning courses on line.

Have a look at this site for gaelic courses in various institutions.
http://www.gaelic-scotland.co.uk/Full-time-Courses.html

If you prefer, you could go for a book and CD set to give you the basics or indeed check out the BBC courses - I enclose the link for the SG course online.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/alba/fogh ... air_bheag/

Also you could think about combining learning some SG with a holiday - one can do courses on the islands I believe and there are annual SG conventions and events running on various islands and on the mainland.

Good luck with it
Beith

paganbaby

Postby paganbaby » 03 Jul 2007, 19:13

Thanks for the info i will check it all out!

I would love to do a course while on holiday!
What a great way to spend some time out of Glasgow!
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

hugh barugh

Alba Gaelic

Postby hugh barugh » 17 Jul 2007, 17:21

Thats funny I have the same problem as well..born in Glasgow to Gaelic speaking grandparents but nobody thought to teach me it either .
I live in England --North East ,I have some CDs but you really do need some one to talk to and explain who speaks the tongue .
So IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE in the NORTH EAST of England ????
bb aonaran

tannos
OBOD Ovate

Re: Learning Gaelic?

Postby tannos » 21 Mar 2008, 16:44

Im in the same boat, however Im not scottish, just a celtic crazed English guy, who was probably Welsh in a previous life, cos the Welsh language came REALLY easily....anyway Ive been dying to have people to talk to, Ive even tried roping friends into learning with me.....I live in Germany but have a flat rate to England (meaning i pay a set charge and i can phone all I want!)....so if that helps any....

By the way, im doing the BBC course, it's just hard without people to talk to...
"[Barbara] Do you know who I really hate at the moment?
[Tom] Me?
[Barbara] No, more than you.
[Tom] Who?
[Barbara] That Mother Nature woman. She has a holiday all winter, comes back and bang, wallop goes raving mad!"(The good life series 3 episode 1)

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Postby Eoin Dubh » 29 May 2008, 00:53

Being in the UK, you guys have a lot of resources. The Gaelic College on the Isle of Skye, Sabhal mor Ostaig, not only teaches a full college ciriculem in Gaelic, but has many resources such as the Speaking Our Language videos. This is a 72 lesson series filmed throughout Scotland with many native speakers and is an excellent resource for those who do not have a teaches nearby as you hear the same things in slightly differing accents.

In Canada, Siol Cultural Enterprises in St, Andrew's Nova Socttia, has a good line of learning tools. This includes things such as Seachd - the Inaccessible Pinnacle, a feature length movie filmed on the Isle of Skye in Gaelic and the short subject Faier Chaluim MhicLeoid. They have reprinted Bardachd na Feinne, collected by Hugh & John m'Callum in 1816.
ImageImage

Quercus
OBOD Bard

Postby Quercus » 13 Sep 2008, 16:44

The Gaelic school does night classes, the school is Berkley Street and I am thinking of joining the new course starts soon, there is another one I went to but I will have to get the details for you.

The university also does evening courses and they start soon, but I do not know the price, the Gaelic school is free if you are a resident of Glasgow, I will ask a chap at the Equinox moot he has all the information and I willlet you know as soon as I get more information.

Blessings

Quercus

Quercus
OBOD Bard

Postby Quercus » 13 Sep 2008, 16:47

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... Education/

Try this web site for the school, all the information you need.

Blessings

Quercus

Alchemilla
OBOD Bard

Re: Alba Gaelic

Postby Alchemilla » 30 Jul 2009, 09:21

Thats funny I have the same problem as well..born in Glasgow to Gaelic speaking grandparents but nobody thought to teach me it either .
I live in England --North East ,I have some CDs but you really do need some one to talk to and explain who speaks the tongue .
So IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE in the NORTH EAST of England ????
bb aonaran
I wasn't lucky with finding a Scottish Gaelic speaker around here so I am pretty much stuck with the BBC course, which is not bad at all. I have only just started, so I can't say more than "Hello" :hiya: .
:acorns:
Aonaibh ri cheille!
(Taillear dubh na tuaighe)

Image :brnbear:

hugh barugh

Postby hugh barugh » 08 Oct 2009, 20:24

Hi Alchemilla..Im in Durham as well,just to the west Brandon.
just starting the Ovate level
in love and light
:old: :yay:
bb hugh

Fennockabo

Postby Fennockabo » 22 Oct 2009, 13:31

I've just started lessons in Greenock but they offer lessons in Paisley and Barrhead as well if you can get there. The lessons are very good, and the handouts and audio are posted here:

http://www.ccgp.org.uk/

So far we've got up to week 4, our tutor was off at the Mod for week five so we just did revision. The course I'm taking is free and lasts three years. I have a vague recollection of looking into the evening classes at Glasgow University and the price wasn't too unreasonable, I don't think.

hannahealasaid

Postby hannahealasaid » 17 Jun 2015, 15:21

Having been through the short course program and the immersion course at Sabhal Mor Ostaig I would thoroughly recommend it. I've also done an cursa inntriguidh which is the distance learning course they run.
The short courses are a lot of fun, there are people who are very focused and those who want to have a bit of fun learning Gaelic so the pace and pressure tend to accommodate everyone.
There's also a weekly ceilidh which is great for a final practice of everything learnt during the week and will probably appeal to anyone here because of it's singing and storytelling. Each class is asked to perform something as a group.
There are some great people there and it's a lovely part of the world :) It's one of those places that sucks you in. I was there for 3 years!

MountainGnome

Postby MountainGnome » 17 Jun 2015, 19:53

Rosetta Stone has CDs for Irish, though that's a little different of course than your Scots Gaelic.

I'm torn between learning Irish or learning Welsh. Welsh is the more interesting historical language for me, because of all of their histories of King Arthur and ancient British kings going back to the time of the Roman Empire. But Ireland has its own draws and the Irish language sounds beautiful to me in its own right. Scots Gaelic has less speakers, and as my ancestors were largely Scottish I would feel bad if it died out, and I think it's good that effort is made to not only keep it alive but spread it farther.

hannahealasaid

Postby hannahealasaid » 24 Jun 2015, 21:53

If anyone wants practice in Scots Gaelic feel free to message me. I'm no expert but I know enough to get by in conversation having studied it for a few years and the practice would do me good too :)

Return to “Scots Gaelic”