Ciamar a tha thu?

Subforum for Gaelic language studies and posts.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Ciamar a tha thu?

Postby Fitheach » 12 May 2006, 00:21

Ciamar a tha thu?
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Postby Eoin Dubh » 12 May 2006, 04:36

Tha mise gu mhath tapadh leat. Cimmar a tha thu-fhein an-diugh?
ImageImage

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 12 May 2006, 05:58

Tha gu math, tapadh leat!
Image Image Image

Donegal

Postby Donegal » 12 May 2006, 08:41

Gosh, this sounds SO MUCH like Ulster Irish (which I am learning!!!!!)!  :o  My next plan is to learn Scottish, as soon as I speak Irish, so that that language may be easy for me!!!!  :)

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Postby Eoin Dubh » 12 May 2006, 13:55

Madainn mhath a' Donagal.

And where did the Scots come from? Ulster and Antrim. Scottish Gaelic has changed less since the 500's than Irish over the years because the Irish have modernized the language a couple of times. The Scots are now looking at standardization of the language.
ImageImage

Donegal

Postby Donegal » 12 May 2006, 14:00

Yeah.  From what I have noticed, Conemara Irish for instance is very different from Ulster Irish.  Ulster Irish seems to have remained "older" , if not identitical to what it was before.  I love to see how Scottish is close to Ulster Irish anyway.  This isn't the first time I've noticed it, I have been reading some stuff in Scots Gaelic before and finding it very similar to Ulster Irish (not to say I'd understand everything in Scots Gaelic anyway, considering I don't speak Irish too well either)! Also, glad to see someone posted on the Scots Gaelic board at last!  :D I seem to know (or am I wrong?), that Scots Gaelic isn't spoken as much as Irish or Welsh (is that right?).  That's why I'm glad someone posted on here at last! I would have else but I don't speak Scottish!  :wink: Glad to hear some OBODIES speak it too!  :D

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 13 May 2006, 15:46

When I was in Ireland last summer, I could actually read the signs, because the Scots Gaelic was so similar to the Irish.  I really surprised the guides!
Image Image Image

Donegal

Postby Donegal » 13 May 2006, 19:52

Yeah, it's a good way to show off isn't it???  :wink: Go on, speak some more Scots, say anything you like, but anything at all! These Celtic languages are so cool!!!!!  :)  :)  :)  :)  :D

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 13 May 2006, 21:32

Nach tu tha bragail!
Image Image Image

Donegal

Postby Donegal » 15 May 2006, 12:27

Nach tu tha bragail!
    Sounds cool! NO IDEA what it means, but sounds cool all the same!  :wink:  Where is Eoin Dubh? Keep chatting guys, it's SO COOL to hear such a beautiful language spoekn (well, to see it WRITTEN, at least!  :-) )!

ecne

Postby ecne » 15 May 2006, 13:40

Nach tu tha bragail!
    Sounds cool! NO IDEA what it means, but sounds cool all the same!  :wink:  Where is Eoin Dubh? Keep chatting guys, it's SO COOL to hear such a beautiful language spoekn (well, to see it WRITTEN, at least!  :-) )!
I'd guess that means 'aren't you bragging'. Am I right? There's lots of similarities between written Irish and Gaelic, but as far as I'm aware it's virtually unheard of to be able to understand one as a result of understanding the other when spoken. I have heard stories of a few of the old folk in Donegal being able to get the jist of Gaelic when the speaker was asked to speak slowly...

Donegal

Postby Donegal » 15 May 2006, 13:45

My singing teacher, who's a native Irish speaker from the Donegal Gaeltacht, says it would take her about three months to learn Scottish.  The only thing is though, and the question I wanted to ask our Scottish/Irish speakers on here, do any of you know whether Scottish and Irish may sound similar, when spoken? I keep on seeing Scottish written, like all the time, but I've never heard it.  I know what you're saying Ecne, as it will all be a question of whether the too SOUND similar, accent wise, rather than LOOK similar.  I guess Ulster Irish and Scottish may sound fairly similar though.

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Postby Eoin Dubh » 15 May 2006, 17:14

The sound is similar. BUT, at least with Scottish Gaelic, in the spoken version the flow of sound or the musicality of the language seems to be the most importand thing. Letters are dropped, words are reduced to a single letter or a ' all for the sake of the flow. The languages have also diverged since the 1500s when the English were finally able to drive a wedge between Scotland and Ireland to keep them from helping each other against the attacks of the English invaders.

Also, the language is Scottish Gaelic not Scots. The Scots language is the language of the Lowlands and Robert Burns. Based on Flemish and Northern English. There is also Doric from the Northeast of Scotland, and a version of Norse in the Shetlands and Orkneys.
ImageImage

Donegal

Postby Donegal » 15 May 2006, 21:21

Cool, thanks for replying Eoin! And what made YOU decide on learning Scots Gaelic, versus Irish or Welsh???

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 16 May 2006, 00:04

Nach tu tha bragail means "You're very cheeky!"
Image Image Image

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Postby Eoin Dubh » 16 May 2006, 01:47

Chan eil mi cinnteach. Tha mi a'cluich an clàrsach agus bi eòlach air Gàidhlig tha tuigse na ceòl.

Sorry, but the grammar is a bit off probably. I have to get to school and do not have time to attempt to verify it. I am still learning and the grammar is the most difficult part for me.
ImageImage

mountainwoman

Hallo!

Postby mountainwoman » 17 May 2006, 22:14

Ciamar a tha sibh? Is mishe Mountainwoman. Tha mi a'fuireach ann am Canada. Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gaidhlig. And it is lovely to find sibh might help me with it!

Donegal

Postby Donegal » 17 May 2006, 23:12

Oh, how lovely to hear you speak! Carry on, carry on!  :yay:  :yay:  :yay: (gosh, ain't Donegal annoying these days.   :-) ).

mo sneachd

Postby mo sneachd » 24 May 2006, 22:50

Feasgar math, ciamar a tha sibh? 'S e Mo Sneachd an t-ainm a th'orm. Tha mi às a'Ghearmailt. Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàdhlig, agus tha glè bheagan Gàdhlig agam. [and I should study much more for it took me ages to get the spelling remotely right]

Beannachd leibh :)

Rob

Postby Rob » 19 Aug 2006, 13:57

haha im working on "whats your name" such a hard inflection
Almost anything you do will be insignificant but it is very important that you do it.
                                           Mahatma Gandhi

:trefoil:
you must be the change you wish to see in the world.
       Mahatma Gandhi

:trefoil:
The weak can never forgive, forgivness is an attribute of the strong.
                                Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Scots Gaelic”