Gaelic-English/English-Gaelic Dictionaries

Subforum for Gaelic language studies and posts.
runningwave
OBOD Bard

Gaelic-English/English-Gaelic Dictionaries

Postby runningwave » 29 Aug 2006, 15:47

:hiya:

In addition to taking the Bardic course, I'm also beginning a study of Scots Gaelic. Since I'm learning on my own it's a bit hard for me to know what the best resources are for me.

Can anyone recommend a helpful Gaelic-English/English-Gaelic Dictionary that is considered to have good translations?

I'd be most grateful for help and advice on other Gaelic resources you've found helpful too.
~runningwave~

A bard from the marshes of Maryland, USA

Image Image

LadyCelt

Postby LadyCelt » 29 Aug 2006, 20:55

runningwave
OBOD Bard

Postby runningwave » 30 Aug 2006, 02:32

Thank you for the tip, LadyCelt. I didn't realize the online dictionaries had so much information on the word etymologies. I thought I'd have to buy a desk reference book. :D

~runningwave~

Fox
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fox » 30 Aug 2006, 09:47

The Teach Yourself series Gaelic Dictionary is highly regarded.

Gaelic Dictionary (Teach Yourself)

I have a native Gaelic speaker working with me in my office and it's the dictionary she keeps by her.
yr pal, Fox

"So good luck came, and on my roof did light, like noiseless snow."
– Robert Herrick, from 'The Coming of Good Luck'

runningwave
OBOD Bard

Postby runningwave » 30 Aug 2006, 13:23

That's a good thought, Zorro. I'm actually working with the Teach Yourself course book and audio CDs right now anyway.

Thanks!

~runningwave~

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Postby Eoin Dubh » 19 Sep 2006, 04:54

As to dictionaries, the standard is Dwelley's Illustrated Gaelic-English Dictionary. Also quite useful is An Stor-Data Briathrachais Gaidhlig, The Gaelic Terminology Database from Cannan, the publishing arm of Sabhal Mo\r Ostaig, the Gaelic college on the Isle of Skye. Also quite useful is Faclair Ga\idhlig: Ga\idhlig-Beurla, Beurla-Ga\idhlig by MacLennan. A Gaelic Grammer by Calder is also handy.
ImageImage

runningwave
OBOD Bard

Postby runningwave » 19 Sep 2006, 15:23

Eoin Dubh, I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I had no idea about the An Stor-Data Briathrachais Gaidhlig. Do you know if Sabhal Mor Ostaig make that available for purchase for non-enrolled students? (Although someday I plan to study at one of their short courses!) Hopefully at least one or two of these will be available to a student of Gaelic in the U.S.
~runningwave~

A bard from the marshes of Maryland, USA

Image Image

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Postby Eoin Dubh » 25 Jan 2007, 03:11

Sorry to take so long to get back to this topic. Yes Runningwave An Stor-Data Briathrachais Gaidhlig is available on the market. See Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/10 ... 12&Go.y=11 ) or ABEBooks ( http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... 1&sortby=2 ). Not particularily cheap at either place.

Also if you use a Palm or WindowsCE powered PDA, there is a dictionary program called Dictionary from Evolutionary Solutions ( http://www.evolutionary.net/dict-info.htm ) that costs just a bit and has free language dictionary modules available ( http://www.evolutionary.net/dict-modules.htm ) for it. I provided a 5400 word SG module to them a few years ago and am working on an update in my copius spare time. The program runs on both the PDA and PC.

A quote from the Dictionary home page:
This program is Shareware. You can download it and try it before you decide to purchase. In fact we encourage you to try it first to make sure it meets your needs. You only have to pay the one low price of US$18 for the program - all language modules are FREE! Download and use as many as you need.
ImageImage

llunaticraven

Re: Gaelic-English/English-Gaelic Dictionaries

Postby llunaticraven » 17 Jan 2008, 05:19

That is just the coolest site, I have it open as I post here, just popping in words, and my name, just to see what comes up. But pronunciation is a problem for me, I know I must be mangling the word as I try to say it out loud, given the funny looks I am getting from the hubby.
Are there any instructional dvd or cd's out there, that can help?
Llunaticraven
"there is widom in a ravens head"

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Re: Gaelic-English/English-Gaelic Dictionaries

Postby Eoin Dubh » 17 Jan 2008, 06:24

There are many Gaelic courses that come with video or CDs for a chance to her the pronunciation. The best is the video set from the Gaelic College at Sabhal Mor Ostaig on the Isle of Skye. They are available from http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Gaelic-Sp ... B000WKRG8W - some in NTSC format (USA) and most in PAL (UK ) format. Multi format VHS decks are available that will play them.

Another source is the Teach Yourself Gaelic book and CD set. I got one at Borders Books last weekend.
ImageImage

Return to “Scots Gaelic”