Help with pronunciation

Subforum for Gaelic language studies and posts.
Tionnsgainn
OBOD Bard

Help with pronunciation

Postby Tionnsgainn » 09 Jun 2008, 04:19

I found my username: Tionnsgainn, in an online Gaelic dictionary. It had caught my attention the first time I saw it and it has stuck with me since. However, the dictionary that I was looking at did not have a pronunciation guide. If anyone could help me out with how to say "Tionnsgainn" that would be great. I do know that it is Scots Gaelic if that helps.
Matthew
:susa:

Three things that enrich the Bard: Myths, poetic power, a store of ancient verse. --Welsh Triad

The three great melodies of Creation: the wind in the tress, the stream at snowmelt, the cry of a new-born babe. -- Triad

ImageImageImage

Beith

Re: Help with pronunciation

Postby Beith » 11 Jun 2008, 18:41

Hello,

It's a bit hard to represent Gaelic sounds in phonetic English because the consonants have different sounds depending on whether they're broad or slender which can be a little difficult to write in another language.

Tionnsgainn would be like tionscain in Irish Gaeilge (meanings like: begin, initiate, establish). Pronunciation would be something like:
Ti:uns:ken / Tee:insk:sen/ Chins:ken

The T followed by an i is something between a "T" and "Ch"sound (ch as in 'chat'), it's a slender sound.
The : in between the letters above is just to try to identify the sounds of the letter groups for you, not to imply that there's a pause between them. You just pronounce it like a disyllabic word, not tri-syllabic.

best wishes
Beith

Tionnsgainn
OBOD Bard

Postby Tionnsgainn » 11 Jun 2008, 19:29

Thanks along Beith. That helps a lot. I have been pronouncing it Tee-uns-gain or Ty-uns-gain. This will help me pronounce it a little better now. Thanks again.
Matthew

Three things that enrich the Bard: Myths, poetic power, a store of ancient verse. --Welsh Triad

The three great melodies of Creation: the wind in the tress, the stream at snowmelt, the cry of a new-born babe. -- Triad

ImageImageImage

Beith

Postby Beith » 11 Jun 2008, 21:08

Tionnsgainn wrote:Thanks along Beith. That helps a lot. I have been pronouncing it Tee-uns-gain or Ty-uns-gain. This will help me pronounce it a little better now. Thanks again.

Hi Tionnsgain

Your pronunciations are absolutely fine! (Just different spellings to mine) The -gainn is indeed a -gan or -ken sound like the -gain of the english word again /a:gen/ but not so much like English 'gain' /gayne/ sound.

The tionn- is just as you have it, teeun or tyun (where y = ee sound). Just don't separate it into highly distinct strained syllables. it is run-together (rhymes with 'shone' as in "the sun shone").

All the best - nice name!

Beith

Tionnsgainn
OBOD Bard

Postby Tionnsgainn » 12 Jun 2008, 03:30

That makes sense. Thanks again. When I first saw the word and the meaning, something just clicked.
Matthew

ImageImageImage

Saibhir-Go-Leor

Postby Saibhir-Go-Leor » 27 Aug 2008, 08:53

IRISH SYNTHESISER AVAILABLE:

Chin-Skin ........ Tionnsgainn

I discovered a wonder Irish Sound Synthesiser available at:

http://www.abair.tcd.ie/index.php

which converts written words to speech.

Just enter the word, press the "Synthesise" button ... and Voila! -- Then press the "PLay mp3" button or other options and a lovely female voice will pronounce the word for you in Irish Gaellic (which, in most instances is reasonably close go leor to the Scots, etc.).
Cheers!

Níl teanga na nGael marbh!

:idea:
The Avatar Image is my Great-Great-Grandfather

LadyCelt

Postby LadyCelt » 27 Aug 2008, 13:19

Thank you for that link!! :hug:
"I wasn't born to live someone else's idea of my life." ~ Carolan Ivey
Ord Brighideach: Image Image Image

Tionnsgainn
OBOD Bard

Postby Tionnsgainn » 27 Aug 2008, 22:53

Thanks a lot Saibhir-Go-Leor, this will be great help, even though I can't read the website, but I think I can figure it out. Thank you again.
Matthew

ImageImageImage

Saibhir-Go-Leor

Postby Saibhir-Go-Leor » 27 Aug 2008, 23:46

Synthesiser:

Ah Ha! ... The website does have an English version also (look at upper right hand corner, and click on "English"):

http://www.abair.tcd.ie/index.php?page=synthesis&lang=eng
SGL
The Avatar Image is my Great-Great-Grandfather

Return to “Scots Gaelic”