Need help with Scots Gaelic word!

Subforum for Gaelic language studies and posts.
Garan Gwyn
OBOD Ovate

Need help with Scots Gaelic word!

Postby Garan Gwyn » 24 Oct 2010, 21:36

Greetings! Garan Gwyn here, Ovate of Llwyn Swynedig in California.

A couple of nights ago I had a dream in which I came across an grove of druids preparing for a ceremony. I asked if I may join in, and was welcomed into the procession line. I asked the woman behind me what the name of the grove was, and what order they belonged to. She told me, "We are Doire Grose (phonetic) of OBOD." I was also picking up another name from somewhere: Doire Swan (again phonetic). When I asked her, "Doire Swan?" she said, "No, we are Doire Grose." I was so excited to have found them that I forgot the name of my own seed group. But she smiled at me and said, "We know who you are."

Had the name of the grove been in Welsh, I would probably be having more success in figuring out what it meant. Can anyone tell me what Scots Gaelic words might sound like "grose" and "swan"?

Thank you in advance, and to all this Samhuinn season, bendithion disglair arnoch chi!
Garan Gwyn
Druid of Llwyn Swynedig
/|\

"I know that I am one with beauty
And that my comrades are one.
Let our souls be mountains,
Let our spirits be stars,
Let our hearts be worlds."

-From Ansel Adams, An Autobiography
-A mantra of Gaelic origin given to Adams by Ella Young

Image Image :pan: :Cymru:

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Re: Need help with Scots Gaelic word!

Postby Eoin Dubh » 22 Jan 2011, 15:51

The closest that I can find in Dwelly's dictionary is gròsaid which means gooseberry. Or gròs meaning snout as in a pig's snout. There are only 8 words starting with gros in the dictionary and most seem to be derivatives of the above. There are several dialects in Scots Gaelic and the pronunciation varies with the dialect so it might be something totally different.
ImageImage

Garan Gwyn
OBOD Ovate

Postby Garan Gwyn » 22 Jan 2011, 19:17

Pig snout, eh? lol I suppose if it were a boar, I could live with that...but I think it bears more meditation and journeying.

Thank you for your response...I have another question now: I was recently told the name of one of my spirit guides. The medium who told me could not quite "get it" or pronounce it...she said he is going to teach her so she can convey it to me. She said it sounded something like "Darwin" but that wasn't it. I told her that if it was Scots Gaelic, it was a difficult language, and she said it was. Then I said, "Of course, if it is OLD Gaelic, it's going to be even harder..." and she said, "Oh, it is old...it is ancient!" Then the spirit guide corrected her, and said, "It is PROPER Gaelic!" LOL

So now I have another Gaelic mystery on my list.
Garan Gwyn
Druid of Llwyn Swynedig
/|\

"I know that I am one with beauty
And that my comrades are one.
Let our souls be mountains,
Let our spirits be stars,
Let our hearts be worlds."

-From Ansel Adams, An Autobiography
-A mantra of Gaelic origin given to Adams by Ella Young

Image Image :pan: :Cymru:

pesky mystic

Postby pesky mystic » 29 Jan 2011, 00:41

Hello, When we were playing cards (I was a small girl) my Gramma would cackle and say "thats one more for the mushrat" whenever she threw a hand away. My Nanny would chastise her for saying that in front of me but I never knew what it meant. Any ideas?

Eoin Dubh
OBOD Ovate

Postby Eoin Dubh » 29 Jan 2011, 04:30

pesky mystic,

Especially if your family was in Canada at some point, take a look at http://www.phaenex.uwindsor.ca/ojs/leddy/index.php/HRG/article/viewFile/355/307 on page 173.
ImageImage

pesky mystic

Postby pesky mystic » 29 Jan 2011, 15:19

Thanks Eoin Dubh,
Considering that "down home" is a small Scots community, completely surrounded by French people, I think you have solved my mystery. Our people were prejudiced against the French, and it makes perfect sense that Gramma would consign her losing hands to "the french" and I am guessing that my nanny didn't want my mother to find out that they were cursing the French in front of me.
Just an aside...the funny thing is that because you are related to absolutely everybody "down home" all of us young people married French. Proof that time can take care of most things. Thanks so much. I look forward to reading about the Mushrat to my family.

Return to “Scots Gaelic”