Pronunciation

Subforum for Gaelic language studies and posts.
treegod
OBOD Druid

Pronunciation

Postby treegod » 23 Sep 2011, 17:38

I was looking at wikipedia and found Cináed mac Ailpín, which translates as "Kenneth MacAlpin" in English or "Coinneach mac Ailpein" in modern Scots Gaelic.

Now, I was wondering if anyone knows the pronunciation of Cináed? Kin-uh-ed? Kin-eyd? Kin-ed?

Thanks in advance.

wolf560

Re: Pronunciation

Postby wolf560 » 17 Oct 2011, 19:23

...Cináed mac Ailpín, which translates as "Kenneth MacAlpin" in English or "Coinneach mac Ailpein" in modern Scots Gaelic.
Now, I was wondering if anyone knows the pronunciation of Cináed? Kin-uh-ed? Kin-eyd? Kin-ed?
It actually translates as all of the above depending upon which native language you are wanting to use.
Scots and Irish translations are similar but are still distinctly different as well as Manx, Cornish, Welsh and Breton.

The name itself lends itself to either a Scots or Irish (much more towards the Scot) than anything else. If you also factor in pronunciation at a half-step as opposed to simply saying it out loud and in rythym with a full sentence the syllables, letters, and words will tend to blur into one another.

To my way of pronouncing it would be; "Keen-ed mak Eye-el peen"... but that is just me and that is using a more Irish Gaelic letter-by-letter breakdown...
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Scots Gaelic”