Guide to pronounciation of Irish mythic names & places

Subforum for Irish language studies and posts.
Wren MacDonald

Postby Wren MacDonald » 09 Oct 2005, 11:48

Hello...

I realize that this is a wicked old post to be replying to, but just wanted to say go raibh maith agat to Beith for posting this! And also, Pangur... I am one of those "American Druids," and I use my Irish dictionary... and cassette tapes... and textbooks...

My Gaelige isn't stellar but it is slowly becoming less horrendous. :D

Wren ^.~*
Tree huggers of the world, unite! ^.~*

http://www.thehungersite.com
http://www.ecologyfund.com

DixieThorn

Postby DixieThorn » 25 Oct 2005, 00:05

:knoot: Oh my! Beith, you can't imagine how exhilirating this is. I have been struggling for years, knowing full well I wasn't pronouncing anything right! Thank you so much :owlsnow:
ImageImageImage
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
~Buddha
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
~Sarah Williams
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

salmoncat

Postby salmoncat » 07 Nov 2005, 03:25

thank you
I dont suffer from insanity..............I enjoy every minute of it!!![

salmoncat

Postby salmoncat » 13 Nov 2005, 00:48

Beith, how do you pronounce brionnfhionn (I hope is the correct spelling for salmon)
I dont suffer from insanity..............I enjoy every minute of it!!![

Beith

Postby Beith » 23 Nov 2005, 01:20

Hi there!

Just to qualify the "guide" - there are various pronunciations for many of the words based on either Munster, Ulster or Connacht dialects. I wote them mainly as I pronounce them in my "Leinster gaeilge" which is a mish mash of Munster and everything else!

Most of those names though are very very old and many would have been pronounced differently in earlier forms of the language. Where I can estimated it, I added it to the list already given and stated it, but my early Irish is in infancy so it's an approximation.

Hi Salmon Cat! (Which 4%?!!!) Brionnfhionn would be something like "Breeon-yonn" in phonetic english.
Bradán ("Brad-awn") is the word commonly used for salmon and one will also find Eo-fios as a reference to the salmon of knowledge in folklore texts on the story of how Fionn* got his name.

To give you an idea of variant pronunciation,

Fionn would be Connacht Irish
Feeyown would be Munster Irish
Finn is Ulster Irish
All are variant pronunciations of Fionn, and likewise Brionn.
I haven't seen that word used for salmon before (Brionnfhionn) it would imply "fair or pale" something. I will check it in a more comprehensive source.

Best wishes!
Beith

Fiacharrey

Postby Fiacharrey » 08 Jul 2006, 16:57

Though I'm sure I can't pronounce all these names properly, I have been studying Gaelic on my own, and cringe at the slaughter of the names of the Gods and mythological entities in  ADF rituals I've attended.  They insisted on calling Bres, "Bray", for example. Have checked it out at http://www.daltai.com, where they who should know agreed with me, but these "American Druids" still wouldn't listen. They have copies of Gaelic dictionaries but don't bother to try and use them. Thanks for your list, at least it helps me!
Slan, Pangur Ban
That's a shame.  As an ADF member, I try to pronounce things at least somewhat correctly.  Being in ADF is what led me to study Irish.  ADF has a pronunciation guide in the form of wav files for some of the common phrases used in ritual, but nothing for the names of divinities and such IIRC.  Maybe I should point this out on their lists and direct them here.
Neo-Pagan Philosophy, Forum, and Other Tidbits NOW ON FACEBOOK!: Cypress Nemeton

Sam

Re: Guide to pronounciation of Irish mythic names & places

Postby Sam » 25 Jun 2009, 18:40

I've been trying to sound my way through these names, I have a really cool book about Women in Celtic Myths, so I was having a bit of a tricky time with them. However I am really happy about this guide! :D
Hands of silk, wrists of leather, forever bound, tied together.

Return to “Irish”