How to study the cards...

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Creirwy
OBOD Ovate

How to study the cards...

Postby Creirwy » 29 May 2006, 13:47

This is a sort of repost, but I felt it got abit lost in the main tarot thread, and its here for others to add their own methods and ways of letting the cards blend in with their hearts and minds...

So just how do you do that? I hear you cry!

Well obviously putting that card on your altar space is a good idea, having it there to focus on. Maybe for the first day or two of that week just pick it up and look at it. Scan the card starting from the top left, across to the right, working in rows so you take in every bit of that card. Also it helps if you want to think on it at another time that day - can't always carry the picture close to hand but you can quickly see it in your minds eye as you ponder.

So when you have that picture clear in your mind, you might want to look over that image just before bed. Often through this your dreams can provide some form of insight on the card. Sometimes its just a feeling you have in that dream, sometimes a powerful experience or even a dreamtime journey. These experiences may alter slightly from the book and thats perfectly fine. You are letting your intuition and the deck unite!

Perhaps you might like to do a proper meditation. There are many ways to do this, but my favourite way is this...
See yourself walking down the steps of a spiral staircase (I like to imagine the staircase of a castle!). Touch the walls, see the lighting and the shadows as your heels slap against the stone steps, down 1, 2, 3, down a few more, 4, 5 6, glimpsing the room ahead, 7, 8, 9, and 10 you are in a hallway.
Walk down that hallway till you come across a thick wall hanging, a huge medieval tapestry of that tarot card, bigger than life size almost. The edge of the picture a foot or so from the ground. Step closer and closer to see, seeing the card clearly, the edge of the card as the edge of the wall hanging. When you feel ready, step over that edge and step into that card! Emerse yourself in that landscape.

Sometimes the card my be static - letting you poke and prod at the tree, the water, take up the pose of the character and feel yourself being at one with that moment and all the feelings that conveys.

Sometimes you will walk into a busy scene! The Character may talk to you first, or you may have to talk to him/her first. Engage in conversation at what they are doing, and why they are doing it. Sometimes talking to them can be a very healing as well as informative process. And feel you need to visit them once or twice that week, or keep an on going relationship with that character!

When you have had your fill, step out of the tapestry and feel that stone floor of the castle against your feet, perhaps compare it to the (often!) grassy grounds of the cards. Slowly step back seeing that card become the massive wall hanging again - just a picture once more.

Walk back through the hallway and slowly walk up those 10 steps again, up and up and up and on the top step slowly open your eyes and scribble madly about your experiences!

And another recent addition I have had is whilst drumming, looking at the card on my altar. Sometimes I drum a rhythm just is what I feel is of that card, and sometimes I drum and I am carried on a journey into that card, into that story and 'degree of ancient wisdom' it reflects. So you drummers, get out your skins and beat away!!!

Those are they ways I use to work with tarot in this sort of way. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Feel free to pick and chose. Sometimes a ponder or two is enough, sometimes you might want to research more about the plant life or animal lore that is in that card to help you learn more about the feel of it. Sometimes we need to go back to that character time and time again! Not only are we learning the deck, but our lifes will reflect these cards very intimately.

But I definately recommend a week for a card, to let it flow and unite with you. Let it work in the background, give time for the synchronicites!

And happy plodding!

C
x

illion
OBOD Ovate

Re: How to study the cards...

Postby illion » 19 Jan 2009, 19:34

When I get my hands on a new deck of cards I do a sort of "decoding" of them. I use a daily card reading method that I think is good for this. This is also an excellent way of learning the Tarot for newbies. It takes a little effort, but the reward is great.

Every morning I lay out the cards in this pattern:

1---2
3---4

1. Today's possibilities
2. How to make the most out of the possibilities
3. Today's challenges
4. How to help you with the challenges

Right now I decode the DruidCraft and then I found it appropriate to draw a card from the Druid Animal Oracle to see what animal medicine that assists me through the day as well.

I read the cards intuitively first, then I read the DC book to see what it has to say, and compare the two.

At the end of the day, I go through the events during the day, and hook up three explanations to each card in the layout that I think fits. I write it down in my journal.

If I have a little extra time, I compare the cards with other decks and decodings I've done before.

Illion
:paw:

Creirwy
OBOD Ovate

Postby Creirwy » 20 Jan 2009, 15:43

That looks fab Illion! I havent been reading with my DC for a long while - Ive fallen in love with the Transparent Tarot and so thats been my main deck of late.

Can I borrow your daily spread? looks just the ticket, especially when working with something like the Transparent Tarot as they are clear sheets with symbols on so you can read the cards individually and then layer them on eachother to get a composite image of the reading.

Paul Mitchell

Postby Paul Mitchell » 20 Jan 2009, 16:26

Creiwry, hi there

I see the transparent tarot costs £50! Have you found it cheaper?
Check out http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/ragingpagan
or... if you like your English Folk locked and loaded.. http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/madmagdalen

Creirwy
OBOD Ovate

Postby Creirwy » 20 Jan 2009, 16:32

I emailed Emily the creator and got it for £40, and i felt better knowing the pennies went into her backpocket :) her website is www.childofavalon.com

Paul Mitchell

Postby Paul Mitchell » 20 Jan 2009, 16:39

Indeed!

Thanks, have sent her an e-mail.

paul
Check out http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/ragingpagan
or... if you like your English Folk locked and loaded.. http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/madmagdalen

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 22 Jan 2009, 13:30

That looks fab Illion! I havent been reading with my DC for a long while - Ive fallen in love with the Transparent Tarot and so thats been my main deck of late.

Can I borrow your daily spread? looks just the ticket, especially when working with something like the Transparent Tarot as they are clear sheets with symbols on so you can read the cards individually and then layer them on eachother to get a composite image of the reading.
Please feel free to use it as much as you like, it is a good spread I think.

Congratulations with your new deck, I'm not familiar with it, but it sure is great.

Illion
:treehug:

wolf560

Postby wolf560 » 09 Oct 2010, 01:48

Hello All,

For me, after I get a new deck.... I spend the afternoon with them.
Not to do anything but "mix them up"....

My favorite deck is the Aquarian, and I spent almost four hours with them.
I shuffled them, split them, and spread them out all across the floor.
For the first few days, I shuffled them at every opportunity.

My favorite guide for the Tarot readings are three books by Eileen Connolly.
I pick up one card a day and read about that card to keep it fresh in my mind.
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

radicalyam
OBOD Bard

Postby radicalyam » 04 Sep 2011, 02:13

When I get my hands on a new deck of cards I do a sort of "decoding" of them. I use a daily card reading method that I think is good for this. This is also an excellent way of learning the Tarot for newbies. It takes a little effort, but the reward is great.

1---2
3---4

1. Today's possibilities
3. Today's challenges

Right now I decode the DruidCraft and then I found it appropriate to draw a card from the Druid Animal Oracle to see what animal medicine that assists me through the day as well.

I read the cards intuitively first, then I read the DC book to see what it has to say, and compare the two.

At the end of the day, I go through the events during the day, and hook up three explanations to each card in the layout that I think fits. I write it down in my journal.

If I have a little extra time, I compare the cards with other decks and decodings I've done before.

Illion

Thank you Illion!
I think I will find this method very useful in exploring my tarot cards and learning their metaphors. :]

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 04 Sep 2011, 07:19

I hope you find it as useful as I do, radicalyam :)

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 04 Sep 2011, 15:11

Illion
Very simple & elegant! I have had the DAO for many years but only recently bought the DC and was wondering how to integrate it into my daily practice. Thanks! :D
Sue

Muddy Fox

Postby Muddy Fox » 04 Sep 2011, 22:19

I've been dabbling with tarot and other forms of divintion since the age of approx 12, I am now nearly 47 years old. Sometimes tarot works and sometimes it does not, what i find personally that is a deck can speak to you and certain cards will leap out you and give an entirely different symbolism than that of the recommended tarot instructions and the more you work with a particular deck the more that becomes clear.
So at the moment I work, for personal use only, four decks, one deck,which I call worst case scenorio, this has the habit of throwing up the negative undercurrents, so I only refer to this when I am doubting my sensitivity and responses of such.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 05 Sep 2011, 06:14

Dear, Susanne.

This is truly a very nice way to get to know the cards in a personal way. I hope you like it as much as I do :)

J1Star
OBOD Bard

Postby J1Star » 16 Nov 2013, 14:59

1---2
3---4

1. Today's possibilities
3. Today's challenges

Illion
I did this today and really enjoyed it. I learned more about the cards and also received some good advice! I'll try and keep it up every day :) thankyou for sharing!

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 17 Nov 2013, 07:11

Isn't it amazing how much four cards each day can teach you?

I haven't used my cards in a very long time, but I hope to pick them up soon again.

Return to “Tarot Study Group”