About numbers

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Pandoro

About numbers

Postby Pandoro » 28 Sep 2006, 18:46

I just wonder, which is the relation between the numbers on the tarot.  For example the card I (the magigian) with X (the wheel) and so on.  I don't get what are you supposed to read from the magigian related to the card of the wheel.  Please, do enlight me  :where:
:::....Pandoro....:::

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: About numbers

Postby DJ Droood » 14 Mar 2010, 16:13

I just wonder, which is the relation between the numbers on the tarot.  For example the card I (the magigian) with X (the wheel) and so on.  I don't get what are you supposed to read from the magigian related to the card of the wheel.  Please, do enlight me  :where:
I am no tarot expert, but I think you will find that numerology is integral to the system. As for 1 and 10, you could read it as inception and completion...in your magician/wheel example, perhaps the inception of some idea and how the idea resonates through the cosmos...or something...you get the idea.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Wolfe Spirit

Postby Wolfe Spirit » 16 Mar 2010, 05:40

by Pandoro » 28 Sep 2006, 12:46

I just wonder, which is the relation between the numbers on the tarot. For example the card I (the magigian) with X (the wheel) and so on. I don't get what are you supposed to read from the magigian related to the card of the wheel. Please, do enlight me :where:
Numerology and Tarot go hand in hand and I've spent a good hour trying to answer your post only to contradict myself in my writings! The only piece of advice I can offer you is a book I picked up a few years ago which helped me understand a bit more about numerology's relationship with the cards.

"Numerology and the Divine Triangle" by Faith Javane and Dusty Bunker

I'm sorry I wasn't able to properly answer your question.

Wolfe Spirit
I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.
-Helen Keller

wolf560

Postby wolf560 » 09 Oct 2010, 01:37

I just wonder, which is the relation between the numbers on the tarot.  For example the card I (the Magician) with X (the Wheel of Fortune).
Some people say that the Major Arcana describes the story of a persons walk through life.
The Fool starts out and encounters each card as a person or event of importance.
In the end, the Fool completes their journey, takes in the advice from what they have encountered, and discovers the secret of a truly good life.

Numbers do mean something in the Tarot, but mainly in the minor Arcana; sets of "Five's" as an example. In the major Arcana, they are significant events...outside major influences. "Face cards" have meanings with maturity level and gender-like qualities...

Also remember, when the Tarot was at the height of popularity....
...It was a game of chance that was played in a similar fashion to Poker...
......which was the major reason it was banned by the Catholic church
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/583645/tarot
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 03 Aug 2011, 06:20

Numbers are important as extra information, but do always listen to your intuition first is my advice.

Try this:

Sort the cards by number and in piles. Look at all the fives. They all seem to have to do with struggle. The struggles manifest in the element they belong to, so when it shows up in a reading, the five of swords has to do with a mental struggle f.ex. Then look at the number five in the major arcana, the hierophant. Think of the major arcana as the element of spirit. See all of the fives as a part of the hierophant. Compare the hierophant with the number 14, temperance.

Do the same with all of the other numbers.

Return to “Tarot Study Group”