Is the Wildwood Tarot not meant to have reverse meanings?

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Is the Wildwood Tarot not meant to have reverse meanings?

Postby Boadicea » 28 Jul 2012, 08:44

Hi everyone,

I just bought the Wildwood Tarot and absolutely love it. I'm very puzzled on something however - the companion book has meanings for all of the cards right side up but does not list or mention any reverse card meanings. Was this deck meant to just be used right side up? Or, is there a general rule to upside down cards - for example that they mean the opposite of what the right side up interpretation is? If anyone has any info on this deck and the reversals, please post and let me know.

Thanks,

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Re: Is the Wildwood Tarot not meant to have reverse meanings

Postby Cosmic Ash » 29 Jul 2012, 21:21

Personally I don't use reversed cards at all, so this hasn't been an issue for me. I don't know what the intention with this particular deck is, but I think reversed cards are more to do with a blockage than just a complete opposite meaning.
I had a quick google and it would seem that reversals are as personal as any other aspect of tarot reading - kind of whatever works for you is good. I found an interesting article here http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/re ... tion.shtml

Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Postby Boadicea » 31 Jul 2012, 09:42

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to Google that for me :)

Autumn_Colours
OBOD Bard

Postby Autumn_Colours » 12 Feb 2013, 12:42

Hi Lady of the trees,

Ive just seen your post and wondered how you are getting on with the Wild Wood Tarot?

AC
In truth, love & creativity
Autumn_Colours

Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Postby Boadicea » 24 Jun 2013, 04:58

Quite well. I love it!

Rebecca
OBOD Ovate

Postby Rebecca » 24 Jun 2013, 05:09

It is a lovely deck, isn't it?

I wasn't going to buy it, but when Mark Ryan tripped over me in San Francisco a couple years back, what was I supposed to do? :innocent:

Actually, I think he tripped me, but at least he did catch me. I have never been known for my gracefulness. :curtsey:

I do enjoy it a great deal and am currently using it for my daily card draw.

Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Postby Boadicea » 26 Jun 2013, 06:50

You can get it as an App now for iPhone and Android too. I love it and find that the app oracles are just as accurate as, well, essentially, pieces of paper... Sticks, stones, iPhones... Somehow Spirit gets the message across when we ask. I have a lot of different decks... I'm accumulated quite a mass of them actually and The Wildwood is definitely in my top five favorites.

Nathair Wilde
OBOD Bard

Postby Nathair Wilde » 02 Jul 2013, 00:00

There's a post at the Wildwood blog on this very subject at http://thewildwoodtarot.blogspot.com/20 ... rsals.html.

TL;DR: the creators of the deck didn't write reversed meanings for the cards because their personal preferences are not to use reversals. But if you do use reversals, feel free to incorporate them into your readings. The above link gives suggestions on how you might want to do that if you don't already have a preferred method for dealing with reversals.

Hope this helps.
People often ask me if I believe in the Goddess. I reply, "Do you believe in rocks?"
--Starhawk

Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Postby Boadicea » 10 Jun 2014, 06:48

^ Thanks. That answers my question and the link you provided is helpful :)

Return to “Tarot Study Group”