Starting out

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Skyewolfe
OBOD Bard

Starting out

Postby Skyewolfe » 20 Jan 2013, 02:28

Hello,

While I am just starting out formally on my path of learning about druidry, I feel like I have always been one. My draw to nature and to wolves is very strong. That being said, I am interested in learning about Tarot. I am seeking guidance as to where to start and which deck to purchase. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.
Skye Wolfe

The strength of the pack is in the wolf, the strength of the wolf is in the pack.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Starting out

Postby Aphritha » 20 Jan 2013, 05:30

My advice would be to shop around and look at as many decks as you can, find one that really speaks to you. Connecting with your deck is half the battle.
An exercise I try to do when learning a new deck is meditate on each of the cards. Sure, it takes awhile, but you get to understand the card and its meanings in a way that relates to you.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 20 Jan 2013, 09:34

I would recommend Rider Waite Tarot as a deck for a beginner. There are many decks out there that is more fancy and beautiful than the RW but there is a problem with their symbols and colours. RW is designed to kickstart your intuition with every detail, and it is very neutral and clear. It is better to switch to another deck that speaks to you when you have learned to master the Tarot.

The best way to learn the Tarot is to use a daily spread with four cards:

1-------2
3-------4

1: Possibilities
2: how to make the most out of possibilities
3: challenges
4: how to cope with the challenges.

Do this spread every day, preferably in the morning. Make yourself a journal and write down for each card you've drawn the first impressions, sensations, feelings and words that get to you. Before you go to bed, read the card meanings from a good book on tarot, and see if there are similarities. Relate everything to what has happened this day of your life, and write down what you have come up with.

Now you have a language between yourself and whoever/ whatever you think you communicate with through the Tarot. You can program every new deck that you get in the same way. It is very simple and very effective.

Skyewolfe
OBOD Bard

Postby Skyewolfe » 20 Jan 2013, 18:15

Thank you both for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
Skye Wolfe

The strength of the pack is in the wolf, the strength of the wolf is in the pack.

mabby
OBOD Ovate

Postby mabby » 01 Feb 2013, 14:18

Illion:
I've taken your advice and it is helping ... a lot. So, thank you. The dialogue with the cards is very enlightening indeed.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 01 Feb 2013, 15:34

It is very nice to know that more people have good experiences with this technique. I've found it very rewarding.

One thing I found very amazing was that the same cards turned up over and over again, no matter how well I had shuffled them, and after a while I got new cards that turned up repeatedly. As if I was influenced by certain energies that shifted every so often. Have you noticed any of this, mabby?

Return to “Tarot Study Group”