4th Annual Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Twyrch
OBOD Druid

4th Annual Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange

Postby Twyrch » 04 Nov 2009, 17:36

As the “Official” Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange coordinator, it is my pleasure and responsibility to inform everyone of how the gift exchange works.

First, the dates of the 2009 - 4th Annual Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange!
2009 Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange

Secret Yuletide Signups Accepted: Monday, November 2, 2009 – Sunday, November 29, 2009

Secret Yuletide Partners Drawn: Monday, November 30, 2009

Secret Yuletide Gifts Created: Monday, November 30, 2009 – Sunday, December 20, 2009

Secret Yuletide Gifts Given: Monday, December 21, 2009

Secret Yuletide Partners Revealed: Monday, December 28, 2009

SECRET YULETIDE GIFT EXCHANGE GUIDELINES

SIGNUPS: The Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange is open to everyone, which means you don’t have to be an OBOD member to participate in the exchange. To signup, simply send me a PM requesting to take part, and PLEASE include an e-mail address you can be contacted at and I will add your name to the signup sheet. Many gifts can't be sent via PM, so it is best to send them via e-mail... don't worry, I don't sell e-mail addresses, share them with anyone else or send you SPAM or other unwanted fowards.

PARTNERS: Once signups have completed, I will notify each person, via e-mail, letting you know who you will with whom you have been paired. Remember, this is supposed to be a secret so please do not reveal your identity to your secret partner, as that will spoil the nature of the exchange.

GIFT CREATION: Some gifts ideas could be a poem, a picture, a story, a ritual, a recipe… anything which you feel the other person might enjoy receiving. This shouldn't be a contest or competition... It truly is the thought that counts here. Even a simple note of encouragement and blessing or a sincere compliment is a gift in and of itself.

GIFT SUBMISSION: Once your gift is created, please pass it along via e-mail to me. I will hold them all until December 21st, when I will distribute them to all participants at the same time. Please be sure to remind me who the gift is for, so it will be easier to submit them to the proper recipient.

THE REVEAL: On December 28th, I will publish a list of everyone’s secret partner, so you can thank them personally.

BE TIMELY: There’s nothing worse than the feeling that you’ve been forgotten, overlooked or aren’t important, so please be sure to get your gift in on time so that everyone can have a joyful and festive Yuletide celebration.

HAVE FUN: This is a great opportunity to get to know a fellow forum member a little bit better and share some joy and happiness with each other. The goal is for everyone to feel welcome, loved and blessed this Yuletide season and to pass that feeling along to others. By signing up, you are choosing to share a part of yourself with someone you may or may not know, so enjoy the experience!

QUESTIONS: If you have any questions, please contact me via PM or e-mail and I will be glad to answer your questions. I don't get online as much as I used to, so please be patient. I’d hate for a question to not get answered because I didn’t log in regularly.

SECRET YULETIDE GIFT EXCHANGE FAQ
  • Q) Will these gifts be made public? What if my creation is something deeply private or personal for my secret partner?
    A) At the end of the exchange, once the partners have been revealed, participants will have an opportunity to thank their secret partner publically or privately. Sharing the gift you’ve been given will be a personal matter left up to individual choice.

Q) What if I know this person outside of the forum and would like to hand-deliver it to them?
    A) If you know someone outside of the forum and choose to hand-deliver the gift to them, please let me know so I can mark you down as having completed your exchange. However, please remember that no money should be spent in making these gifts. It’s not about the size or cost of the gift, but the thought behind it.

Q) I don’t have any talent to speak of: I can’t draw a stick figure, I’m not creative, I can’t rhyme, I can’t cook and I can never get my rituals right. What do I have to offer? I don’t want someone to hate my gift, but I’d love to be a part of the exchange. What can I do?
    A) We understand that not everyone has found their creative spark, but again, this exchange is about the thought behind the gift, not the gift itself. Perhaps you have a blessing, or ritual, or poem, or story, or picture or something else which touches you deeply and means a great deal to you. Feel free to pass this along with a word of encouragement to your partner. Sometimes, it only takes a small smile to light up a large room.

Q) Why is the signup period so long? What if I forget I’ve signed up?
    A) The signup period will last almost an entire month because not everyone logs into the forum on a daily basis and we want to make sure everyone has an opportunity to participate, who would like to do so. Once the signups have completed, I will contact everyone to let you know with whom you’ve been paired, and I will send reminders as the deadline grows closer, to ensure everyone receives a gift at the same time.

Q) Do we have to wait until the 20th to submit our gift? I’d love to participate, but I plan to be traveling during that time and I won’t have access to the internet to send the gift until after the exchange is over.
    A) No, you don’t have to wait until the 20th to turn in your gift. You will have a full 3 weeks to create and submit your gift to me and I will distribute them at the proper time.

Q) How are the partners paired up? Do you choose someone for each person or can we list preferences of who we’d like to give a gift to?
    A) Everyone will be paired up randomly through calculations made in an Excel worksheet. You will not get to choose who you will be paired with, after all, part of the fun of this is learning more about other people on the forum.

Q) Does your gift have to have a Yuletide theme or can it be about anything?
    A) No, your gift doesn’t have to have a Yuletide theme, or any theme for that matter. Your gift should be a reflection of your partner’s personality, tastes or interests. After all, that is part of the process in learning about your partner and all part of the nature of this exchange.

Q) Could I ask someone else to create a gift for me to give to my secret partner…? If so, how would I go about doing that?
    A) There is no restriction on how you come about acquiring your gift as long as it’s legal and doesn’t cost any money. The choice of asking someone for help will be left to your discretion and that person’s willingness to assist you. For instance, if you want to give a poem to your secret partner and know someone on the forum or outside the forum who is skilled in that area, it will be up to you to contact that individual and acquire their services, but please, do not pay someone to create the gift for you… again, money should not be a factor in the quality of the gift given.
Yuletide Blessings,

Twyrch
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Re: 4th Annual Secret Yuletide Gift Exchange

Postby Twyrch » 06 Nov 2009, 13:19

Here is the list of people participating in the exchange so far this year.

If you don't see your name on this list, then you're missing out on a lot of fun! :grin:
Dathi
Kermailune
Riven
Aylyn
Cosmic Ash
Willowcrow
Acornspirit
Dream Soul
Jingle
Aurora

ImageImageImage

Willowhawk
OBOD Bard
Location: ...over grass and over stone, and under mountains in the moon...

Postby Willowhawk » 14 Nov 2009, 14:43

Please add me, Twyrch! I haven't been around much of late-- so sorry, lots of life changes and stress going on-- but I wouldn't want to miss out!

hugs and blessings,

Willow
Peace over anger. Honour over hate. Strength over fear.

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 30 Nov 2009, 02:35

Here is the list of people participating in the exchange so far this year.

If you don't see your name on this list, then you're missing out on a lot of fun! :grin:
Dathi
Kermailune
Riven
Aylyn
Cosmic Ash
Willowcrow
Acornspirit
Dream Soul
Jingle
Aurora
Willowhawk
Anna
Matodemi
Enaid

ImageImageImage

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 30 Nov 2009, 13:14

The Entry phase of this exchange is now closed. Thank you to those who chose to participate. I will be sorting each of you into partners and letting you all know who you will make a gift for later today. :yay:

ImageImageImage

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 29 Dec 2009, 01:05

Well, that wraps up another Yuletide gift exchange. I hope everyone had fun!

Below is the list of who gave gifts.... if you received 2 gifts, that was because your secret pal's gift hadn't arrived by the time I sent them out and I didn't want you to feel left out over the holiday season. When your gift arrived from your secret pal, I sent it along later, giving you 2 gifts all together.

Dathi gave a gift to Enaid

Kermailune gave a gift to Riven

Riven was supposed to send a gift to Aylyn (Gift given by Twyrch, since Riven is in the hospital.)

Aylyn gave a gift to Dathi (First gift from Twyrch)

Cosmic Ash gave a gift to Aurora

Willow Crow gave a gift to Matodemi

Acornspirit gave a gift to Willow Crow

Dream Soul gave a gift to Kermailune (First gift from Twyrch)

Jingle gave a gift to Dream Soul (First gift from Twyrch)

Aurora gave a gift to Willowhawk

Willowhawk gave a gift to Jingle

Anna gave a gift to Cosmic Ash

Matodemi gave a gift to Acornspirit

Enaid gave a gift to Anna

ImageImageImage

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 29 Dec 2009, 01:07

I'd like to thank Aylyn for sending me an awesome winter picture as a surprise Yuletide gift!

Thanks, Aylyn!! :cloud9:

ImageImageImage

Willowhawk
OBOD Bard

Postby Willowhawk » 29 Dec 2009, 04:07

Aurora, thank you soooo much for the beautiful montage-- that poem was precisely what I needed, exactly when I needed it! Brightest Winter Blessings to you-- thank you!!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

And Twyrch-- thank you again for doing this!! It's the light of my Yule season! :)

love,

Willow

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 29 Dec 2009, 17:48

Anna,
Thank you for my gift! It is really personal and unusual, I love it!! :D

And big thanks also to Twyrch for organising this :applause:

Aurora
OBOD Bard

Postby Aurora » 30 Dec 2009, 03:42

To Cosmic Ash

Thank you so much for your video it was sooo very beautiful and i especially loved all the snow :D and the poem was really lovely.

And a big thank you to Twyrch for organising this :hug:
ImageImage

Wisdom begins in wonder-Socrates

Martina Silvercloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Martina Silvercloud » 31 Dec 2009, 23:44

Thank you Willow Crow for the wonderful Awen Tree - it is really beautiful and powerful for my thoughts
-------------------------
formerly known as "matodemi"

Image Image

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 02 Jan 2010, 04:12

Thank you Willowhawk for the beautiful poem. Many beautiful verses in Haiku must have taken some real time and effort. Absolutely beautiful. :applause:
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

acornspirit
OBOD Ovate

Postby acornspirit » 09 Jan 2010, 06:25

Thank you, Matodemi, for the wonderful piece of Awen artwork and inspirational poem!

Sorry about the belated note of thanks--I had been checking the "Field Guide" announcement and didn't realize that the primary home of the Gift Exchange was here in "Druid Living."

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 20 Jan 2010, 15:08

Belated response??? I am about 4 weeks late :-)

I want to say Thank You to Twyrch for the wonderful poem he sent me. It has touched me deeply, and I plan to print it out and oput in on my wall. Thank you very much :hug:

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Opal

Postby Opal » 20 May 2013, 17:42

2009 was a few years ago now, are there still gift/card exchanges going on (or planned for to get going in the future)? If so, I'd like to join in.

Willowhawk
OBOD Bard

Postby Willowhawk » 20 May 2013, 21:58

It was a lovely thing. I would be thrilled to see it revived. :)

Rem
OBOD Bard

Postby Rem » 21 May 2013, 14:31

If this will be revived I would be very much interested.
I am still very new so this would be a great way of getting in touch with people in a different way than just reading their posts.
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken. :D

Martina Silvercloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Martina Silvercloud » 30 May 2013, 18:03

I would like to see this revived as well - which simply means, those who are interested should get together, ask the mods if it is okay and then organize it. Perhaps it would also be a good idea to chose another time of year since a lot of people are very busy in the Yuletide season? (I would help organizing - I can hardly suggest that without volunteering myself)
-------------------------
formerly known as "matodemi"

Image Image

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 02 Jun 2013, 16:52

I'd love to be involved. I really enjoyed this and was quite disappointed when it stopped.

Rem
OBOD Bard

Postby Rem » 06 Jun 2013, 10:46

I would like to see this revived as well - which simply means, those who are interested should get together, ask the mods if it is okay and then organize it. Perhaps it would also be a good idea to chose another time of year since a lot of people are very busy in the Yuletide season? (I would help organizing - I can hardly suggest that without volunteering myself)
Do you have an idea which season might be worthwhile to start with? We are a bit too close to the summer solstice, maybe Samhain or Mabon if not Yule? What do peeps think?
I am very new to the board still so I don't know any mods, but sure, I will help if I can. :)
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken. :D

Return to “Druid Living”