What if peole stopped eating meat?

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Scatterbat
OBOD Bard

Re: What if peole stopped eating meat?

Postby Scatterbat » 20 Aug 2013, 08:15

A lot of rare breeds and common farm animals may become even rarer or extinct as farmers are business men and need to make a farm pay .Just a thought.

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 01 Sep 2013, 16:12

I'm not against vegetarianism or veganism but I don't deny the fact that my species is omnivorous. I don't deny how I was created, I believe that is part of nature. I can eat meat because I serve a very specific place in the food chain, as nature intended. :peace:

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 01 Sep 2013, 18:40

I'm not against vegetarianism or veganism but I don't deny the fact that my species is omnivorous. I don't deny how I was created, I believe that is part of nature. I can eat meat because I serve a very specific place in the food chain, as nature intended. :peace:
I agree with your premise, but I would suggest that *how* we produce and consume our meat in the modern world is not as nature intended....although nature may be random chaos with no intentions, in which case, I'll have fries with that.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 01 Sep 2013, 21:21

If the pastures that sustained the cows and sheep were not needed for meat production,then they would be turned into fields of crops as more ceral crops etc would be needed.
Another thing one has to take into account is that not all land is economical for growing food.
Some is to steep, not productive enough, inclement weather, high altitude but that land is fine for grazing - transhumance farming [alpine pastures] - is done to sustain more animals on poor land.

I'd love to see all my meat produced as "feed no food" - no grains, just grass fed.
I do buy organic wherever I can.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 11 Sep 2013, 07:12

I agree with your premise, but I would suggest that *how* we produce and consume our meat in the modern world is not as nature intended....although nature may be random chaos with no intentions, in which case, I'll have fries with that.
Oh I agree, I dislike the way cattle and the like are treated for the most part. Free-range and organic is much better but they tend to demand a higher price. Though it seems like loads of people don't see the sacredness of life in all things, like we do.

Summerhawk

Postby Summerhawk » 13 Dec 2013, 16:54

What it all comes down to is that we can only do the best that we can in regards to our eating habits, our spiritual beliefs, and staying healthy. When I was single, I ate what I felt like, when I felt like it. I would go weeks sometimes eating very little meat, and then I would go days eating meat and potatoes. Whenever I had my yearly bloodwork done, the doctor said, "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. All your levels are pretty much smack in the middle of where they need to be." Now, I live with a man (hunter type....meat eating machine) and eat far more meat than I would normally (gads, I don't even want to have my levels checked now). We do eat venison through the winter (the one he kills), and that deer makes tasty snacks for my dogs, sporrans, bags, gloves, etc. - it's not wasted. Which brings me to the dogs...they are carnivores, yet (due to time & money) I have to feed them kibble. I try to feed the most natural that I can, except Gunnar's stomach will not tolerate some of the better food. Too many vegies and he'll launch it right back. Money is tight nowadays, and I can't get all my meat from "free range" farms. I do, at least try to buy local, to support the community. Here in southeastern US, not much meat is grown locally (the soil here isn't good for grasses, so there aren't many "meat" farms), or corn. Or good hay.

All that being said....I do the best that I can to balance everything out, and that's all I can do. It's all any of us can do.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 09 May 2014, 04:41

I feel im last to this party,, When I crave greens I cant get enough,,I can graze uphill or sit in the garden and eat what I pull up or off,,But I also love meat,,,Walking swimming or flying,,I eat what dosent eat me first,,To each their own
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Return to “Druid Living”