awen-like symbols

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
reilz81
OBOD Bard

awen-like symbols

Postby reilz81 » 15 Sep 2011, 16:49

i've been noticing lately, that awen is truely in abundance. So was thinking, it would be interesting to see where others see awen or something that closely resembles it.

I thought of this one a couple of weeks ago, in journey to the center of the earth(the original, the new one isnt worth watching imo) the explorer that is lost exploring marks his passage with 3 strokes. Bit of a reach, but when i was thinking of it it just made me think of awen.

The symbol on the monster energy drinks, if you turn it upside down it looks very much like it.

the trident which is used in mythology as well as childrens movies, makes me think of awen.

/*
* if this is in the wrong section i oppologise, just didnt know where to put it.
*/

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Re: awen-like symbols

Postby Bracken » 15 Sep 2011, 20:09

Hi, reilz.

I think this is a really interesting post, because I also see symbols everywhere. Just everywhere.

One of my favourites for a while has been the Starbucks logo. Just get one up on Google images and have a look. The ends of her split tail are two letter Ms. Do you see what I mean? M M? Is it Mary Magdalene, the divine feminine, resurfacing from the psyche of the logo designer to appear prominently in every city in the Western world just when we need her most? :D With a pentagram on her crown?

Or is that just a bit far fetched?

reilz81
OBOD Bard

Postby reilz81 » 28 Sep 2011, 06:46

oh wow that's well interesting, symbols are everywhere I think they try to tell us things every day, if we actually notice them.

FireVine

Postby FireVine » 30 Sep 2011, 12:17

This got me thinking and I just remembered about a walk through a wood the other day called Fairy Glen here in West Lancashire. It had been absolutely throwing it down with rain when I got there and only stopped about an hour or so later. The wood was silent and then suddenly the sun broke through the heavy cloud cover and there streaming through the trees was a perfect Awen symbol. It was so bright and clear that it lit up the wood and no sooner had it appeared that the birds began singing and it seemed like the whole woodland had suddenly come alive. I only wish that the camera on my mobile phone had picked it out like how I saw it. It was an amazing sight.
A man cannot plough a field by turning it over in his mind.

reilz81
OBOD Bard

Postby reilz81 » 20 Oct 2011, 08:19

what a beautiful experience, i have to walk several miles just to get to a forested lake, but i do it now and again.

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 20 Oct 2011, 08:49

Hi, reilz.

I think this is a really interesting post, because I also see symbols everywhere. Just everywhere.

One of my favourites for a while has been the Starbucks logo. Just get one up on Google images and have a look. The ends of her split tail are two letter Ms. Do you see what I mean? M M? Is it Mary Magdalene, the divine feminine, resurfacing from the psyche of the logo designer to appear prominently in every city in the Western world just when we need her most? :D With a pentagram on her crown?

Or is that just a bit far fetched?
Hi Bracken - there is an article about the logo development here: http://www.deadprogrammer.com/starbucks-logo-mermaid

The gradual de-sexualisation of the original image into today's much more virginal symbol is interesting.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 20 Oct 2011, 09:43

I always thought that the Toyota logo looks like the Goddess symbol.

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 20 Oct 2011, 10:03

Closer to home: It might be interesting to explore the symbolism of the avatars that we have all chosen to use on this site; the choice may have been simply because we liked the image: but why did we like it and what message is it trying to send to our consciousness?

reilz81
OBOD Bard

Postby reilz81 » 21 Oct 2011, 14:07

interesting idea, mine was because it reminded me of the first dragon i came into contact with, not all that symbolic, but i havent really examined it real closely.

CleddauGal
OBOD Bard

Postby CleddauGal » 09 Oct 2012, 15:44

When I finally decided to sign up for the Bardic grade course, I saw Awen in the airplane trails across the sky. Pretty big cosmic yes! to my decision.
CleddauGal /|\

"What we want to change we curse and then
pick up a tool. Bless whatever you can
with eyes and hands and tongue. If you
can't less it, get ready to make it new."
--Marge Piercy, from "The Art of Blessing the Day"

naturewalker

Postby naturewalker » 07 Jan 2014, 03:48

I always thought that the Toyota logo looks like the Goddess symbol.
Oh wow! And I have a Toyota! LOL. I never thought of that until now! :idea:

Kiara
OBOD Bard

Postby Kiara » 07 Jan 2014, 20:31

I'm a bit of a sci-fi/fantasy nut and I'm definitely a Trekker. Anyway, I was watching the Star Trek (2009 reboot with Chris Pine as Kirk) and the scene where the older Spock is standing on an icey planet, watching Vulcan crater, I noticed his belt. Probably not intentional but it's the moon phases/Goddess symbol. Now everytime I watch the movie, I giggle to myself when that part comes up. :grin:
ImageImage

Rhiannon Willow
OBOD Bard

Postby Rhiannon Willow » 07 Jan 2014, 21:35

Oh dang it Kiara!!! Now I'm going to have to watch that Star Trek again!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Lora
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lora » 06 Mar 2014, 17:24

The last time I saw the symbol was in a pc game beta of all things, for the Elder Scrolls Online. Argonian light armour had a flap at the back of the tunic which probably depicted three strands of wheat or reeds, but the shape was very Awen-like. Otherwise, I have seen it in mason's marks on old stonework and in the streams of sunlight through trees. And last year, during a Samhain ritual for a very new Grove, the thicker logs of the central fire made an Awen symbol from where I was standing.

Return to “Druid Living”