Eating on a budget

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Eating on a budget

Postby Aphritha » 08 Mar 2013, 22:11

Ironic you reply dealing with 'tea time' today...I had just purchased a tea set and tea, and had planned on starting the tea ritual today. :D Looking forward to it, save scrubbing it down(came from a thrift shop). I thought the ritual might calm my son down a bit...he's been extraordinarily hyper lately, and expressing it violently. Not good.
I find these rituals you've described very interesting; going to try giving them a shot...especially the 'face wash'. I get stressed easily, and I wear it on my face.
I'm finding nuts and seeds do go a long way...except me with almonds. I love them too much! :D
Thanks for all the advice! Going to share the Qigong and Tai Chi techniques with my husband as well. He'll find it interesting. :)

Moonleaf
OBOD Bard

Postby Moonleaf » 08 Mar 2013, 23:36

Ironic you reply dealing with 'tea time' today...I had just purchased a tea set and tea, and had planned on starting the tea ritual today. :D Looking forward to it, save scrubbing it down(came from a thrift shop). I thought the ritual might calm my son down a bit...he's been extraordinarily hyper lately, and expressing it violently. Not good.
I find these rituals you've described very interesting; going to try giving them a shot...especially the 'face wash'. I get stressed easily, and I wear it on my face.
I'm finding nuts and seeds do go a long way...except me with almonds. I love them too much! :D
Thanks for all the advice! Going to share the Qigong and Tai Chi techniques with my husband as well. He'll find it interesting. :)
Good luck with the exercises and drinking the tea. Maybe you could slip a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy from Bach Flower Remedies in your son's water, that will have a calming effect :)

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 09 Mar 2013, 00:46

I'll look into that next time I'm at the natural foods store. We did find a natural children's vitamin that seems to be improving his mornings...shame he needs a whole new bottle if he's to take it to school and use it for the afternoon. Must be new and sealed or they won't accept it! :roll:

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 21 Jun 2013, 06:19

Don't forget the humble potato, which you bake in its jacket and fill with anything you like - a good way to use leftovers.

I also make spicy potatoes like this:

Wash and cut potatoes into smallish chunks (you need potatoes that will not go pulpy when cooking)
Fry half teaspoon whole cumin seeds, onion and garlic lightly in a saucepan over medium heat to slightly colour the onions.
Put the potatoes in with onions and garlic.
Add some chopped fresh tomato (use your own judgement - this is to give more flavour and moisture for cooking).
Stir it all up so everything gets coated with cumin, tomato, spice, onion and garlic.
Add half teaspoon of tumeric and quarter teaspoon of chili powder (more chilli if you like more heat)
Put lid on saucepan. Turn down heat.
From time to time, either stir or shake the pan hard to keep contents moving.
After about 30 minutes, get a sharp knife and test a piece of potato to see if it is cooked.

This is a versatile recipe that you can adapt. You can add mushrooms, peppers etc to make more of this dish and serve with a salad too. You can also eat it cold.

BB

Shirley
Try to live each day as if it were your last

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 21 Jun 2013, 16:37

That sounds delicious!

Horizon
OBOD Druid

Postby Horizon » 23 Jun 2013, 21:05

I'm not much of a cook...no time, not much inclination...and income has been drastically reduced due to husband's more or less permanent layoff.....but I like to eat healthy, organic foods. So.....I discovered veggies and instant, salt free vegan bouillion (sp?). I dice up whatever is in season or cheap--carrots, onions, celery, potatoes etc and boil up some water, toss in two boullion cubes, and cook until tender which is 7 to 10 minutes. Sometimes I throw in a can of organic beans as well--although it would be even cheaper to use dry beans if I had time to cook them.

I make a spicy potato dish too with just diced up taters and onions sprinkled with Cajun food spice. Throw in the microwave for 15 minutes or until tender.

It really is possible to eat organic on the cheap if one buys from the bulk bins, buys in season, and buys way low on the food chain. I hope some day to find the time to learn how to cook and experiment with a variety of spices so I can branch out from soups and diced up taters....

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 07 Aug 2013, 12:48

:yay: Vegan here as well so I can totally relate. We are a family of 5 on a similarly tight budget. I have learned to make my own tofu (easier than you think but time consuming!) my own soy milk (SOOOOOO much less expensive this way!!! And it even tastes better/you can flavor it!). I use beans a LOT (can you say black bean and sweet potato burritos?? OMG so GOOD!!) for recipes that are BULK related (HUGE vat of 5 beans chili with TVP as the "meat" - I freeze gallon ziplock bags with enough for 5 portioned out, lay them flat, like boards LOL), and buy large quantities of the fresh veggies when it is CHEAP seaon, then freeze or can loads of them. ANY help you would like, ANY at all, when it comes to how to can or freeze or prep, you just hit me up. Been doing this for over a decade. :hug: I can even turn tempeh into "facon" LOL.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 07 Aug 2013, 15:47

Yes, how do you make tofu? That would be interesting...I've been making most things from scratch lately, but haven't tried this one. Some things are cheaper made from scratch, others are just better...
I've been hitting up the farmer's market this year. Its been pretty cheap for the most part. I can stock up on a week's worth of vegetables(sometimes fruit) for between $10-$20. I'll buy staples from the store as I need them(rice, potatoes, flour, spices, beans, etc). I've been feeding a family of 3.5 for $40 or under a week. :)

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 07 Aug 2013, 17:19

I'm going to share with you the same video I learned from, when I first started. I haven't changed her recipe and use it to this day. You can STOP at the "milk" stage (before the nigiri is added to curdle and make curds), and you have wonderful soy milk or you can keep going and make tofu. There is a fairly modest investment in the press, nigiri, and beans, but I earned that back FAST not having to buy tofu at $5 per block or milk at $5 per gallon. I use my canning pot (you need a HUGE pot LOL) to cook the beans, and it works beautifully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UN4KCXIsk

You are doing a GREAT job with your budget! I am very impressed!

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 07 Aug 2013, 21:51

That is quite a process! Thanks for sharing! Tofu has always intrigued me, even before I gave up meat. I remember reading about it in elementary school...such a neat idea, a food that can taste like anything.
I don't often buy tofu because of the price, but I do enjoy it. I fear I'd have to borrow someone else's kitchen, though...that requires such a setup! My kitchen would cramp a mouse out. I've got 12in by 6in useable counter space. When I bake bread, I've got to room hop...let it raise in one spot, bake in another. I'd raise right off my counter, otherwise...

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 08 Apr 2015, 17:20

Ful Medames or El Ful
Brown Egyptian beans ‘ful’/ fava beans/ broad beans
Serves 4

2½ lb (1.2kg) cooked ful medames (or tinned or bottled from your garden)
1 recipe taqleyah (shred a large onion and a head of garlic & fry to dark brown)
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley (or coriander/ cilantro)
1 teaspoon aromatic salt (with cinnamon)
2 tablespoons olive oil

Garnish
Labne (thick yoghourt) (make your own)
Houmous (make your own)
Lemon wedges
Paprika
Cumin

1. Heat the ful to a simmer.
2. Add the parsley, taqleya, cumin and olive oil.
3. Mash all to a coarse pulp.
4. Salt as necessary.
5. Serve in a bowl, piping hot with yoghourt spooned into a depression in the centre and houmous spooned into the middle of that.
6. Make 2 ‘X’s of paprika and cumin across them to decorate.
7. Serve with hot flat breads (use as scoops), lemon wedges and a salad (or steamed shredded vegs in winter)

Ful medames -a variety of fava bean -small, round, brown broad beans with a small black stripe. This bean dish is always described as Egypt's national dish, and it is enormously popular. The word ‘ful’ means beans.
(Hint - cooking raw dried beans? Use a pressure cooker = circa 1/2 hour but check the manufacturer's instructions)
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Return to “Druid Living”