Your Druid Space

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Your Druid Space

Postby Aphritha » 22 Jul 2013, 17:35

Its tough being in a place you don't like. Keep trying to make it as acceptable as you can.... Are you able to bring the outdoors inside? Maybe with potted plants, fountains, or birds?

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 22 Jul 2013, 21:29

Its tough being in a place you don't like. Keep trying to make it as acceptable as you can.... Are you able to bring the outdoors inside? Maybe with potted plants, fountains, or birds?
I do! We have a bunch of ivy that's gone pretty wild, but I love the idea of fountains as well.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Jul 2013, 03:23

We've got a 2ft fountain in our dining toom. Its meant for yards, but does great indoors, too. Its a rocky waterfall; over time, its become sort of an altar for my husband. He drops neat coins, rocks, shells, and other things he finds into it. Our pets like to drink from it, too....especially the rabbits.

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 23 Jul 2013, 12:49

I'm going to look into that, as it might be a change we would both welcome in the house. Thank you for the suggestion!

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 23 Jul 2013, 13:30

Indoor fountains are a common feature in houses in the Middle East, where they are helpful in cooling the air.

I would suggest getting something made by the person who sells it to you, such as at a craft fair. Our experience with mass-produced fountains, in the garden and the home, has not been good. :gloomy:

I may have to try building my space around a fountain myself.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 23 Jul 2013, 13:54

This was one of my first thoughts, as the ones you see in chain stores or WalMart etc. do not seem as if they would behave very well indoors. Getting it from the maker would likely mean it would be much more attractive anyway, and have more meaning.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Jul 2013, 16:00

Its been hit or miss with us. We've had a few, both indoor and outdoor, and some have worked, some have not. We've gotten lucky with the big one. Only time we've had trouble was when it clogged with cat hair, and try as I might, I couldn't blame it on the manufacterer. Easily cleaned, though. If you have hard water in your area, you may have to watch for that chalky build up...that can get them clogged as well.
It would be great if you can find a handmade one. I'm sure it would have a wonderful energy already instilled in it. Our craft fairs around here are pretty few and far between these days...a shame, really.
Speaking of sacred spaces, and making a place we don't like positive, do you think its possible for there to be an 'unsacred' space? Not to say its naturally 'bad' or 'evil', but a place that's picked up so much negativity its hard to erase it? My therapist and I were talking about the aura of the city, and she said she has alot of trouble with depressed clients from the area, because she isn't able to recommend the 'get out there, volunteer, be friendly' approach, because when she had, the people were usually treated so badly or charged so much for activities that it made them more depressed. She doesn't have this trouble in other cities. All of my friends have moved from the area and felt much better after doing so(though some come back to work for periods of time...go figure, the local economy is great!). How does a place build up such an aura, or is it all a matter of perception?

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 23 Jul 2013, 17:01

We have a local market that often has various crafts, so I will look around that end this weekend and see what I can find.

That's an interesting question, and I'm not sure. I can definitely see there being spaces that can be unsacred for one person, but I find it difficult to imagine that there can have been so much negativity there that it might influence a whole group. I'd be interested to see Detroit firsthand these days, for instance. Is it the negativity of others that gets to us, or of the space itself?

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Jul 2013, 17:49

You know, I was in Detroit a few years ago on a few occasions. Almost moved there, actually. I didn't find it negative in the least. Honestly, there were alot of really kind people. I had the misfortune of being in a car wreck out there, and people actually pulled over to make sure we were alright(I was injured, but not badly)and to let the police know the other car had caused the wreck, because the woman had been trying to blame us. A person in a shop helped me clean up and gave me a pair of shoes, no cost. Other than that incident, on a whole, people were friendly and polite, and willing to make casual conversation. Even the rough looking types said no more to me than "nice hair!", and this was at a bus stop at around midnight...I think the place gets a stigma because its poor. I found that if I didn't go looking for trouble, it didn't find me.
Is it the negativity of others that gets to us, or of the space itself?
Can the negativity of others cause a space to become negative over time?

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 24 Jul 2013, 13:57

It does indeed get a stigma for being poor, I fear.

As to the question on spaces, guess that since a place can be positive, it would make it only natural that there could be negative spaces as well. It does bear thinking about.

Nadine B
OBOD Bard

Postby Nadine B » 26 Jul 2013, 12:03

I have a small garden with a pond in. The back is paved but we have a border with loads of plants in. We used to have the back grassed but my girl dog Bella uses the outside to toilet and it used to mess the grass. Around the pond, it is lovely. Lots of plants and even water plants and of course fish. I have a wooden picnic table and chairs by the pond that I use. It is lovely to sit there as it is very quiet and peaceful (it's at the back of our garage out of the way in it's own little space) and I love to look at the pond with all the plants. I have some potted plants around the table like holly and forest flame. I often spend time here writing and even doing readings for people.

I feel that sometimes I have to ground myself and cleanse my working area as well as my garden. I try not carry negativity from others with me or even if it is negativity I have personally created.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 27 Jul 2013, 11:25

Can the negativity of others cause a space to become negative over time?
I think it does for two reasons -
1) I've never been but everyone I know who's been to any of the concentration camps (even the hard headed ones) say that there's a negative energy.
2) As a student I spent a year living in a street that had a negative energy, in the house we were young and full of positive energy so the feel of that street I never really paid attention too. In hindsight i realised that we always used cut throughs paths, thus avoiding the street itself, to get to our house. It was several years later when they were caught that I understood why. That house was opposite the house of the serial killers Fred & Rosemary West.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 27 Jul 2013, 15:27

That's very interesting. I can't imagine visiting a concentration camp willfully...even to think of them makes me uncomfortable.
Amazing as kids you and your friends avoided an area. Children can be so much more perceptive...they don't yet have that thing in the back of their head making them try to explain everything, and just 'go with it'. We've got a business down the road that was owned by a serial killer for awhile(Gacy), but it doesn't really have a bad vibe. He must have done his deeds elsewhere. Actually, I'm not sure they ever found any of his victims here. It was a KFC, and is a liquor store/fast food store now...the only 'vibes' you get are from the customers... :grin:
Do you think it would ever be possible to remove a negative aura that's as extreme as those spots?

naturewalker

Postby naturewalker » 07 Jan 2014, 03:27

I plan on moving to Tennessee in a few years and making my new home my spiritual retreat. A few years back I purchased 15 acres of rolling hills. The land is alive with nature spirits. Plans are in place for a grove. The acres are 20% in grass, 25% wetlands with a creek running through it, and 55% hardwood and pine. It is the place where my heart dwells and my spirit soars.

Ahhh! I envy you! LOL! Would love to have a piece of land like that someday. Oh well, we keep sending our energies out and it will happen when it's ready, right? :)

RedFoxRunning
OBOD Bard

Postby RedFoxRunning » 17 Feb 2014, 23:59

I live with my parents at the moment while working through a divorce and putting my ducks in a row - but fortunately I am a business owner, and have my own space there...so I have kind of a portable Druid Space in a wooden whiskey cask that lives at the office...it has a beautiful dark green cloth that I sit on, an MP3 player with the OBOD light body exercise and some music that I find helpful and some nature sounds, candles, tealights with an oil burner an an oil that smells like the forest does here in Canada...that's how I've been managing. It really helps, setting up that space when I'm ready to go into my sacred grove...it's part of the ritual now.
Red Fox

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

birchleaf

Postby birchleaf » 09 Apr 2014, 17:00

I live with my parents at the moment while working through a divorce and putting my ducks in a row - but fortunately I am a business owner, and have my own space there...so I have kind of a portable Druid Space in a wooden whiskey cask that lives at the office...it has a beautiful dark green cloth that I sit on, an MP3 player with the OBOD light body exercise and some music that I find helpful and some nature sounds, candles, tealights with an oil burner an an oil that smells like the forest does here in Canada...that's how I've been managing. It really helps, setting up that space when I'm ready to go into my sacred grove...it's part of the ritual now.

The portable Druid space sounds like a such a good idea! Something I will look into doing something similar for myself.

I’m still living at home (and likely will be for at least the next two years) so there’s only so many changes I can make to my home. Luckily, I have a decent sized yard where I can go. We have some young trees: a linden, a sugar maple, two cherry trees. We also have lots of shrubs and flowers (courtesy of my mom, who is an incredible gardener. I help her out with the work, my favourite is sowing and planting in spring). We also have a vegetable garden and some berry bushes. It’s an amazing feeling to be able to grow and eat your own raspberries and carrots and tomatoes :) In the late summer my dog helps out with the harvest, she digs up carrots on her own for a snack!

I’m also lucky to live in a fairly “green” city, so there’s lots of places where I can go visit, including some excellent trails near my house.
“May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

DraecoVocina
OBOD Bard

Postby DraecoVocina » 24 May 2014, 07:10

Where I live, its pretty much out of the way. Being in the desert is hard to do when working with such green work. But I've made due and have 12 thriving trees around my Acre property.:grin: The rather large bushes of sand sage make for really good replenishing offerings. The sand allows for rewriting and changing symbols when need be, and a couple loads of lime rock and flagstone later Ive been able to set up quite well. 16 years of living here and 12 years of personal practice have made this property almost a dome of neutral energy. Though that doesn't stop the odd Spirit or entity from passing through on good terms. My physical altar is inside. but my ever changing altar is within the acre of wonderful land I live on.
~xXMay the stars watch over you, AlwaysXx~

Return to “Druid Living”